Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Cat Stevens J-180 Collector's Edition

Leonard McCoy

On 7/17/2022 at 9:07 AM, fortyearspickn said:

It's basically a $5K guitar, with a pick guard that goes down past the bridge...

The extra  $2,500  goest to CS for the time it takes him to fit his hand in the sound hole to sign the label.  

I'll agree with that to a certain degree. Its 7.5k due to Greed, and having to pay back the debt is another. Even a 2.5k profit margin, there is no way it took 5k of labor and material to built that.

So they sign the label once glued in? 

Anything that has a small batch limited run is going to be priced for a niche market willing to pay exclusive prices 2x or more above MSRP. My guess is that if they feel they can bring this to the production floor and sell more, they can lower the price and produce in the thousands. I feel the J180 has always struggled to find a place as a production grade instrument because it's odd features that don't really make a ton of sense in today's world. That said - if they were to reissue the original early 60s Everly Brothers (with a thinner body), I'd be really tempted and that's coming from someone that already has an original '63! 

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

All 50 are sold, and it says out of stock. 

What?!? That can’t be. Why, people on this very forum said the guitar was ugly AND overpriced. Even your gentle herald opined that the sound clips did nothing for him. The consensus was that Gibson didn’t know what it was doing. So obviously, the guitar could not have sold out. Quod est corporis malum.

Unless…. I’m beginning to suspect there is an entire world of Gibson customers/players/collectors out there who (for reasons we can’t fathom) are not part of this forum; indeed, at times I’m tempted to join them. But they must be out there, and it appears they are spending their money on guitars despite our protests.

Go figure.

Edited by dhanners623
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

3 - his real name is Steven Demetre Georgiou. His dad was Greek I believe. Not sure if he ever used his real name when he first started out.

Ahh, I looked it up. I am well aware who Cat Stevens is, but somehow missed the whole converting/changing his name thing. 

5 minutes ago, dhanners623 said:

What?!? That can’t be. Why, people on this very forum said the guitar was ugly AND overpriced. And they declared that Gibson didn’t know what it was doing. So obviously, the guitar could not have sold out. Something is awry.

Unless…. I’m beginning to suspect there is an entire world of Gibson customers/players/collectors out there who (for reasons we can’t fathom) are not part of this forum. Sometimes, I’m tempted to join them. But they must be out there, and it appears they are spending their money on guitars.

Go figure.

Man, if I had a dolla for every time dhanner was right . . . I could afford one of them Yusuf geetarz.

8 minutes ago, dhanners623 said:

What?!? That can’t be. Why, people on this very forum said the guitar was ugly AND overpriced. And they declared that Gibson didn’t know what it was doing. So obviously, the guitar could not have sold out. Something is awry.

Unless…. I’m beginning to suspect there is an entire world of Gibson customers/players/collectors out there who (for reasons we can’t fathom) are not part of this forum. Sometimes, I’m tempted to join them. But they must be out there, and it appears they are spending their money on guitars.

Go figure.

We all know, even me that all 50 would be sold before they hit the street. We all know the market for this guitar. Cat/Yusuf fans, and the well off collectors that want to impress their friends. Think if Gibson made 150 or 200 or 1000. How many would be sold? Ugly is in the eye of the beholder. I was told my D-41 was gaudy here once.

Its not a bad looking guitar, it just doesn't have enough pickguard for me. There is still some area on top not covered by the p/g that could use some.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

9 minutes ago, RvrDxn said:

Man, if I had a dolla for every time dhanner was right . . . I could afford one of them Yusuf geetarz.

You could probably afford a real '59 LP, cause he always is.

He hasn't gone by Cat since 1977 as he is now Yusuf Islam. Wonder if he misses eating nice breaded pork chop? Tea, Teaser, Catch Bull, and Buddah were all really good albums. I still need to listen to Mona, I don't think I've heard it all the way through. Foreigner was not that good IMHO. After Buddah, I don't have any of his albums.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Leonard McCoy said:

Do you have to have a beard to own one? I'm sure its a well built guitar that sounds great to the guys that like Maple. I still just don't get the need for the massive p/g. You can't tell me that is not robbing that top of its ability to fully vibrate.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

On 7/18/2022 at 3:29 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

All 50 are sold, and it says out of stock. 

Gibson did the Roy Orbison siggy ES335 in '06 and all 70 (I think) sold out in 2 hours. In '07 they released a further 200. Maybe they just test the water to see if there is a chance for more quick income.

On 7/23/2022 at 5:57 AM, Bob Isaac said:

Gibson did the Roy Orbison siggy ES335 in '06 and all 70 (I think) sold out in 2 hours. In '07 they released a further 200. Maybe they just test the water to see if there is a chance for more quick income.

I doubt it. They will just make another Ltd. Edition guitar of 50 and charge the same and like in Field Of Dreams "People Will Buy, People Will Buy" Even is they are 7k. They gotta have it.

On 7/20/2022 at 9:16 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Do you have to have a beard to own one? I'm sure its a well built guitar that sounds great to the guys that like Maple. I still just don't get the need for the massive p/g. You can't tell me that is not robbing that top of its ability to fully vibrate.

I’m a Maple fanatic (my main three guitars are an SJ200, a Dove and a Maple AJ) and that clip, albeit perhaps in an unsympathetic room and perhaps recorded with an unsympathetic device, sounds awful to me. The guitar sounds thin with a honky upper mid spike that reminds me of a cheap archtop, and it appears that that chap playing it is having to hit it at quite a clip with his right hand to get it to project. 

I had a cherry red J180 from 2014 or so which sounded considerably better than that. Perhaps it’s just a clattery room and the wrong choice of strings, but I’d not be happy with that sound if I’d paid a billionty pounds for the guitar in question, or however much they cost.

FWIW, I didn’t feel like the pickguards held my 180 back very much. It wasn’t a particularly loud guitar but it sounded sweet and played very well indeed, the neck was outrageously good. I traded it for my Dove which was a no brainer as it’s easily the best Dove I’ve ever played, but the J180 was a nice instrument for sure. The only aspect I wasn’t keen on was a resonant node/wolf note that it had around the low G. In retrospect, if I’d slung 13s on it and tuned it to Eb as I do now, the issue would have been largely nullified.

On 7/31/2022 at 3:09 PM, Larsongs said:

Why do you tune to Eb? Then do you Capo on 1st fret? 

It’s a combination of factors, but primarily the reason is that my vocal range dropped a touch after some health problems took me out of circulation for a few months back in late 2020/early ‘21.

A lot of my songs make use of chord melody and hammer ons/pull offs which rely on certain chord shapes to make them work, so rather than reworking everything to make it work in different keys, it was much easier to go up a string gauge and down a half step. 

On a further positive, that setup brings out so much boom and volume from my SJ200 that it’s bordering on magical. My Maple AJ sounds very good that way too but is still a bit younger and tighter than the SJ200. The 200 is just wide open and glorious!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I paid $9,300  for one to a dealer I found while traveling. It’s not the tone or playability I was expecting. That can certainly be dialed in when I get home. I’m a pop culture collector and usually only buy vintage. I love it just the same. There’s a mystique about it.  Should I sell it down the road and lose some, that’s cool. Should I make some; groovy. 

10 hours ago, Rustybeat said:

I paid $9,300  for one to a dealer I found while traveling. It’s not the tone or playability I was expecting. That can certainly be dialed in when I get home. I’m a pop culture collector and usually only buy vintage. I love it just the same. There’s a mystique about it.  Should I sell it down the road and lose some, that’s cool. Should I make some; groovy. 

Confused:  You're talking about the Cat Stevens collectors edition  with a MSRP of $7500 ? 

14 hours ago, Rustybeat said:

I wouldnt give that for a original .,