Gibson Brands Forums

The Les Paul Senior

jdgm

My first really good sounding Electric Guitar was a naturally highly relic’d 50’s Gibson Les Paul Jr. with a P90. I think I paid $67.00 for it in Pawn Shop in Wash. D.C. I wish I still had it as it sounded & played fantastic…  I wonder what it would be worth today?

The Sr. just doesn’t look right to me…  Like you forgot to put your Pants on or something..

I’m already good with Les Pauls.. Some with HB’s & a LP Special with P90’s.. The latter I’m playing all the time now.. Love both HB’s & P90 Pickups..

Edited by Larsongs

There is an expression often used in music that "less is more".  In other words don't clutter up an arrangement with a lot of unnecessary notes or fills - keep it simple and it will sound good.

With these types of guitars the saying would be "less costs more".  I can't understand anyone paying $6400 ($6200 for the TV yellow) for this guitar with one pickup (a P90 no less) and a wrap around bridge?  

Oh well, to each his own, but this would not be for me.

I just like the look.

However I found the thread about the Theodore from a few months back and I was one of the knockers there, so....oops.:-&

During the best HJ years Gibson did try plenty of new models, short runs and variations on existing themes.    Spice of life etc....

Best wishes to all. 

7 hours ago, Twang Gang said:

There is an expression often used in music that "less is more".  In other words don't clutter up an arrangement with a lot of unnecessary notes or fills - keep it simple and it will sound good.

With these types of guitars the saying would be "less costs more".  I can't understand anyone paying $6400 ($6200 for the TV yellow) for this guitar with one pickup (a P90 no less) and a wrap around bridge?  

Oh well, to each his own, but this would not be for me.

The price seems reasonable to me being that these are made 2 measure guitars. Then on top of the made 2 measure price the dealer wants to make a profit. 

We’ve been desensitized by import copies and mass production but a Les Paul is a tooooon of work to put together at this level of quality. The Gibson custom shop luthiers are some of the most skilled luthiers in the world. There aren’t many industries that are comparable here but I think haute couture would be a decent comparison to the made 2 measure program (explaining the price difference to production models) 

• Like 1

A  great USA Gibson Les Paul starts about $2799.00 & you can usually get 16-20% off if you’re a good negotiator… They have 2 great Pickups that can get a Rainbow of amazing Sounds…

You can use the remaining $3200.00 for a whole lot of other things.. 

Edited by Larsongs

Before retiring recently I sometimes had to attend business meetings. On occasion I would wear a suit. My suit cost $400 (with 2 sets of pants) and I thought I looked ok in it - like me, but in a suit.
Now, I could have afforded a $6000 tailored suit and it would have been better made, lasted longer, and functioned better,  i have no doubt…and if I believed for one minute it would have made me look like the suave, handsome models in the high fashion magazines I’d have bought one in a flash along with shoes and Rolex to complement…but I knew I’d just look ok in it - like me, but in a suit.

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

A  great USA Gibson Les Paul starts about $2799.00 & you can usually get 16-20% off if you’re a good negotiator… They have 2 great Pickups that can get a Rainbow of amazing Sounds…

You can use the remaining $3200.00 for a whole lot of other things.. 

Find a 70th anniversary Esquire.  You'll save 4000 dollars and be a crapload happy.

rct

3 hours ago, rct said:

Find a 70th anniversary Esquire.  You'll save 4000 dollars and be a crapload happy.

rct

You could buy a new USA Gibson Les Paul Std & the 70th Anniv. Fender Esquire. And still have about $1200.00 left! Now you got something!

7 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Jean Paul Tribute

th?id=OIP.Hi78vJL_dtnds5bBmqdKEgAAAA%26p

That’s John Paul. Jean Paul is the guy Jerry Seinfeld forgot to wake up 😜

One noteworthy point about the comparison to Fender prices.. the standard Les Paul Jr is one of Gibson’s most basic, stripped down guitars. Building a Les Paul Jr is more work than ANY of the classic solid body Fenders. The most basic Gibson is more work than the most high end (normal) Fender. A bound carved top Les Paul body is on a whole different planet compared to any reissue type fender 

If I were building guitars for you, I’d build you three Esquires for the price of one Les Paul Sr all day long… it’s not even close 

• Like 1

The good thing about the jnr and other basic Gibsons is that you can see exactly where the cost saving is (what's different). Binding, top carve, controls, hardware etc. 

Compare a LP Standard to one of the many copies and you cannot. Its made to appear as near identical as the builder can get away with. All the cost savings (where applicable) are hidden.