Gibson Brands Forums

What does SPECIAL signify - SPECIAL SJ200

Ian27

7 minutes ago, Dave F said:

The 1995 line up I knew was available. But up here in Canada. None of those were available, except the Buddy Holly which were pre sold. 

there was a 12 Guitar line up called the Montana Specials.   They were different from what was in the limited editions. 

I know I had a few of those.  I had to go into a Gibson dealer in Montana to aquire those.  

On 7/3/2022 at 6:53 AM, Murph said:

The thought pattern preceding the activity is quite foreign to me as well. How does one wake every day with the goal of disrespecting owners of a certain brand of guitar and continue to waste countless hours of their life in the endeavor?

It’s the negative self image, negative view on life, and general unhappiness is what propels people to frequently think/post in a negative way. Anyone even moderately happy wouldn’t waste their time doing such things. 

• Like 3

On 7/1/2022 at 3:13 PM, RBSinTo said:

Ian,

Likely nothing more than meaning that you were given the special privilege of paying more than those persons who bought the regular 1995 SJ200.

I find it interesting how price is such a targeted topic against Gibson. Anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Otherwise money doesn’t exchange hands.  Your same mute point could be made for buyers of coins, stamps, beanie babies, bottles of wine…………..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kwlsky said:

I find it interesting how price is such a targeted topic against Gibson. Anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Otherwise money doesn’t exchange hands.  Your same mute point could be made for buyers of coins, stamps, beanie babies, bottles of wine…………..

Gibson has, and I said this the other day, 4 acoustic guitars under 2k. F O U R. And of those 4 all of them have 2 holes in them and I have seen  and played the G-45 on two occasions. They look like awful Mex. Martins and sound twice as bad. You tell me this is the guitar company of the working musician. I'm not here because I feel I have no self worth or I feel my life is a mess. Some of the stuff you guys spew here about Gibson is ridiculous. I've seen guitars that have serious QA issues here, and al the time all I see in posts is "I would keep that". Well good to know you accept sub standard workmanship on an istrument that can cost thousands of dollars.

10 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Gibson has, and I said this the other day, 4 acoustic guitars under 2k. F O U R. And of those 4 all of them have 2 holes in them and I have seen  and played the G-45 on two occasions. They look like awful Mex. Martins and sound twice as bad. You tell me this is the guitar company of the working musician. I'm not here because I feel I have no self worth or I feel my life is a mess. Some of the stuff you guys spew here about Gibson is ridiculous. I've seen guitars that have serious QA issues here, and al the time all I see in posts is "I would keep that". Well good to know you accept sub standard workmanship on an istrument that can cost thousands of dollars.

Choosing to be negative on a Gibson forum, instead of being positive on the unofficial Martin forum………..

Boy, you must be miserable. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Kwlsky said:

Choosing to be negative on a Gibson forum, instead of being positive on the unofficial Martin forum………..

They are just guitar forums, and I have been on this one since about 2013, and enjoy conversing with the people I've become and I hate using the term "friends" with cause I have never met any of them, ya know like all your Farcebook Friends. I have owned a heap ton of Gibson's (if 20 or so is considered a heap ton). So the old "He doesn't own a Gibson, so he shouldn't be able to post here" is a crock. 

Wait I've got it your one of the guys who is a lawyer or dentist or doctor who can afford a 7k Cat Stevens Guitar? The funny thing is one guy said it was actually a "steal", as it will go up in price in the used market. I even went back and looked at the post, so I didn't put words in to his mouth as to what the posted. That logic makes no sense. Its over priced now, and will be even more stupidly overpriced once the greedy mob starts flipping them for 10k.

Martin does dumb s-hit too. Like fake aging guitars (looks like Gibson is going to start soon, and I can't believe they are just getting around to it now) that no one believes is a real 1937 D-28. Hey why does your 1937 Martin have a 2019 serial number? D-45's are north of 10k now I believe. That's just beyond stupid and overpriced especially in this current world we live in. 

Not the first time Gibson went down this round. I don't know how successful it was with the Aaron Lewis model but I remember they sold out fast and you do not see them on the used market.

http://legacy.gibson.com/Products/Acoustic-Instruments/Round-Shoulder/Gibson-Acoustic/Aaron-Lewis-Southern-Jumbo.aspx#:~:text=The Gibson Acoustic Aaron Lewis,I do without those guitars.

13377be9-6130-4271-9e9b-c8dba7096526.jpg

In a way I don't blame Gibson for offering the beat up version. Personally, I would not want one. Companies like Pre-War make a living making copies of Martin and Gibson and offer different distre$$ levels. I see them pop up for sale often on UMGF

66331+Slopeshoulder+L2+(3+of+23).jpg?for

Edited by Dave F

11 hours ago, Kwlsky said:

It's a moot point, not mute point.

RBSinTo

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Kwlsky said:

UMGF is one of the overly-sensitive, safe space forums. Pretty sure our resident grouch wouldn’t last very long over there. I like that on this forum, you guys are free to express your opinions of one another without the mod(s) getting their panties in a wad. It amuses me and I enjoy being amused.

Edited by RvrDxn

21 hours ago, Kwlsky said:

Well said and succinct.   In his defense, Sgt.Pepper may have had a bad root canal experience with a dentist - he keeps holding them out as examples of rich, tasteless, bourgeois, high end guitar buyers. 

• Like 1

On 7/8/2022 at 2:42 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Wait I've got it your one of the guys who is a lawyer or dentist or doctor who can afford a 7k Cat Stevens Guitar?

Nope. Actually both my Gibsons were purchased used, because I could never afford a new one.

I'm just a happy guy who likes being generally nice to people. What makes me sad though, is that a new guy joins this forum and posts an honest question, only to get quickly blasted with two negative responses, and has never revisited here since. 

Unfortunate. 

P.S. I'm also not very bright, sorry for the incorrect grammar(moot/Mute) There will certainly be more of those in the future.

18 minutes ago, Kwlsky said:

Nope. Actually both my Gibsons were purchased used, because I could never afford a new one.

I'm just a happy guy who likes being generally nice to people. What makes me sad though, is that a new guy joins this forum and posts an honest question, only to get quickly blasted with two negative responses, and has never revisited here since. 

Unfortunate. 

P.S. I'm also not very bright, sorry for the incorrect grammar(moot/Mute) There will certainly be more of those in the future.

I only buy used guitar now. Why not save a little, and used prices are the new prices, and new prices are ridiculous. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper