Gibson Brands Forums

Ibanez Lawsuit Les Paul

mihcmac

• mihcmac changed the title to Ibanez Lawsuit Les Paul
19 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I always assumed that no settlements were ever made and that the US threats were enough to make the MIJ change. Now I'm wondering about that.

That headstock looked pretty good.

The "lawsuit", in reality, contrary to the dumb myth it became, was settled by representatives of the companies that prevailed, gathering at a shipping facility and cutting off the headstocks of a few offending examples.  THAT. IS. ALL.  That was "demonstration of consequence".  That was all that was needed.

The internet can now return to whipping up more bullsh1t about one thing than anyone ever thought possible.

rct

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

All I know, is when we were kids, me and some of my friends all got guitars around about the same time. I got what I thought was a nice no-name LP copy (Black Beauty)  with a bolt on neck.

My buddy got a beautiful Ibanez wine red LP with a set neck. Even though I could barely play Smoke One The Water and Sweet Home Alabama, I knew his guitar was way superior to mine. The frets, the binding, the tuners and the way it sounded unplugged even. As we both got better, it became even more apparent how nice his was. If I knew where he was today, I would see if he still owns that guitar and try to get it from him.  

• Like 1

KDH did mention that Gibson did not actually file a Lawsuit but did send a request to Ibanez to stop infringing on Gibson copywrite. Also his fathers Ibanez LP had a bolt-on neck and a semi hollow body..

Edited by mihcmac

2 hours ago, rct said:

The "lawsuit", in reality, contrary to the dumb myth it became, was settled by representatives of the companies that prevailed, gathering at a shipping facility and cutting off the headstocks of a few offending examples.  THAT. IS. ALL.  That was "demonstration of consequence".  That was all that was needed.

The internet can now return to whipping up more bullsh1t about one thing than anyone ever thought possible.

rct

that's how I recall the story going to.  The inner-net loves to whoop everyone up,, kind of like CNN, CBS, MSNBC,,, they prolly all drink the same kinda koolaid. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

18 hours ago, gearbasher said:

I read an article about how these lawsuit guitars are sought after, getting hard to find and getting expensive. I wonder who would come after you if you start counterfeiting the lawsuit guitars? 

Check this out. Jimmy Page eat your heart out. If you mistake that for a EDS-1275, you deserve what you paid for it.

https://reverb.com/item/55904683-pre-owned-ibanez-1975-sg-6-12-double-neck-mij-japan-lawsuit

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Check this out. Jimmy Page eat your heart out. If you mistake that for a ES-1275, you deserve what you paid for it.

https://reverb.com/item/55904683-pre-owned-ibanez-1975-sg-6-12-double-neck-mij-japan-lawsuit

Ibanez is excellent but you’d be an idiot to buy that instead of an Epiphone. I was gonna say you could probably get the real Gibson for the same price but I checked and WOW the EDS-1275 is freakin expensive

• Like 1