Gibson Brands Forums

Get Back

Sgt. Pepper

The Get Back doc was just released the other day. Its $25 bucks for 3 DVD's which is about 9 hours of the Beatles picking on George Harrison. Its a fascinating look at one biggest bands in the world at the time in the studio trying to figure out their next move. Ringo even farts. My brother has the Disney App (cause he is a Star Wars nut) on the TV, so as long its there. I don't need to get it. Maybe I'll ask for it for Xmas.

https://www.target.com/p/the-beatles-get-back-dvd-2022/-/A-86819434?ref=tgt_adv_XS000000&AFID=google_pla_df&fndsrc=tgtao&DFA=71700000012510700&CPNG=PLA_Entertainment%2BShopping|Entertainment_Ecomm_Hardlines&adgroup=SC_Entertainment&LID=700000001170770pgs&LNM=PRODUCT_GROUP&network=g&device=c&location=9010575&targetid=pla-311244274998&ds_rl=1246978&ds_rl=1248099&gclid=CjwKCAjw2rmWBhB4EiwAiJ0mtdBe_rQ65zp0iYS17P75SXvjYbqN-DOcv--bhQd0cuY9Db-7fbKSuRoCvQgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

we have Disney +  I've seen it.   Found some of it just  fascinating.  Some of the segments were a bit boring and slow (For me anyway).  But over all it was well worth watching.

For the real diehard Beatles fans,  definitely a must see.  I'm glad it's finally released.  

3 hours ago, kidblast said:

we have Disney +  I've seen it.   Found some of it just  fascinating.  Some of the segments were a bit boring and slow (For me anyway).  But over all it was well worth watching.

For the real diehard Beatles fans,  definitely a must see.  I'm glad it's finally released.  

Yeah when I heard it was gonna be 9 hours I said to myself, are your serious. Its a lot to digest even for a Beatle fan. When John is talking to Linda's daughter (I think) about the kittens, I was dying. Ringo was always on time, he might be hung over, but he was on time. Those guys were what, 26 or 27 doing that. I like that George needed a Krishna guy with him in the beginning and they sent flowers.  

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

13 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Correction, the biggest Band of all time.. I watched it on Disney too.. Great for Beatles aficionados!

Yeah, your right about that. The Beatles - The Beatles (aka The White Album) was released in November 1968, and became the biggest selling album of the 60's. That album was released with only one year and one month left to go in the 60's, and out sold every album made in the 60's. That's how ya do it. I would think maybe Pepper. Its sold over 24 million copies. I helped with buying it about 10 times in various formats. Thriller has sold more, but who wants to listen to that?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yeah when I heard it was gonna be 9 hours I said to myself, are your serious. Its a lot to digest even for a Beatle fan. When John is talking to Linda's daughter (I think) about the kittens, I was dying. Ringo was always on time, he might be hung over, but he was on time. Those guys were what, 26 or 27 doing that. I like that George needed a Krishna guy with him in the beginning and they sent flowers.  

9 hours was a lot  Like I mentioned,  there were times during these episodes where I had to struggle to keep interest.  

53 minutes ago, kidblast said:

9 hours was a lot  Like I mentioned,  there were times during these episodes where I had to struggle to keep interest.  

I surprised myself for sticking with it. Definitely worth watching all through. I have D+ for another couple of months. So could see it again if I want.

Biggest surprise for me (if I ever knew I forgot) was John playing most of the guitar on Get Back the song.

None of my money will go to Disney, but I've seen "Let It Be" the movie and enough of the trailers and stuff on Youtube to know I won't be buying it.

If it's ever on "cheapsat" I'd probably watch some of it.

9 hours?

Pass.

2 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

I surprised myself for sticking with it. Definitely worth watching all through. I have D+ for another couple of months. So could see it again if I want.

Biggest surprise for me (if I ever knew I forgot) was John playing most of the guitar on Get Back the song.

For me it was seeing the dynamics.  it was John and Paul, and "those other two guys over there" mostly.

I would have at some point flat out decked Paul if I had to put up with his crap for all those years..

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, kidblast said:

For me it was seeing the dynamics.  it was John and Paul, and "those other two guys over there" mostly.

I would have at some point flat out decked Paul if I had to put up with his crap for all those years..

Would you have put up with Paul's crap for the boatloads of $ they all made. Relationships are difficult. Weather its a friendship, a band, a marriage ect. But yes  Macca was very how shall we say BOSSY. I saw the original on in '79. The new one did not need to be 9 hours. I'm a diehard Beatle fan, and I'll agree to that. I'm sure some fans wanted more. The original was seen as "We're watching The Beatles break up",  and the second one paints a different picture. Did they pick on George, YES. We're The Beatles going to break up, Yes eventually. From the Get Back footage were we watching The Beatles break up? At that moment they were on their way, but it was not evident. If you enjoy Yoko knitting, reading, and painting that is in there too. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

19 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Would you have put up with Paul's crap for the boatloads of $ they all made. Relationships are difficult. Weather its a friendship, a band, a marriage ect. But yes  Macca was very how shall we say BOSSY. 

I still chuckle at the part in the anthology tapes where George said the same basic thing about Paul.  Only as it related to him, as he and Paul were friends before Paul and John ever met. Saying something to the effect:

"Paul always felt he had to lord it over me a bit because he was 9 months older than me.  In fact...

He's STILL.....

9 months older than me."   \:D/

It's really more like eight months, but still...

Y'all DO know you DON'T have to watch all 9 hours all at once, right?  :rolleyes:  Now that I know I can see this without subscribing to the Disney dynasty or get into some "streaming" crap I'll no doubt try to find it or just order it from somewhere.  And I thank you for that information.

Whitefang

10 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I still chuckle at the part in the anthology tapes where George said the same basic thing about Paul.  Only as it related to him, as he and Paul were friends before Paul and John ever met. Saying something to the effect:

"Paul always felt he had to lord it over me a bit because he was 9 months older than me.  In fact...

He's STILL.....

9 months older than me."   \:D/

It's really more like eight months, but still...

Y'all DO know you DON'T have to watch all 9 hours all at once, right?  :rolleyes:  Now that I know I can see this without subscribing to the Disney dynasty or get into some "streaming" crap I'll no doubt try to find it or just order it from somewhere.  And I thank you for that information.

Whitefang

Yeah I remember that in Anthology. George was the baby and has to go back to England (for a bit) form Hamburg cause he was underage. 

I watched it in 45 min to hour chunks. Hey I got a great idea. Lets go up to the roof in freezing cold January in London and play. You can hear John say its so cold he can barley make a chord with his hand on his guitar.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Would you have put up with Paul's crap for the boatloads of $ they all made. Relationships are difficult. Weather its a friendship, a band, a marriage ect. But yes  Macca was very how shall we say BOSSY. I saw the original on in '79. The new one did not need to be 9 hours. I'm a diehard Beatle fan, and I'll agree to that. I'm sure some fans wanted more. The original was seen as "We're watching The Beatles break up",  and the second one paints a different picture. Did they pick on George, YES. We're The Beatles going to break up, Yes eventually. From the Get Back footage were we watching The Beatles break up? At that moment they were on their way, but it was not evident. If you enjoy Yoko knitting, reading, and painting that is in there too. 

You got to remember they were & still are a Business.. Paul was & still is the Businessman…. For all their whining about him I’ve got to believe they’re all pretty grateful now……

31 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

You got to remember they were & still are a Business.. Paul was & still is the Businessman…. For all their whining about him I’ve got to believe they’re all pretty grateful now……

Paul is worth over a Billion, and Ringo is worth $350 million. And I am sure Yoko and Olivia are not eating Mac N Cheese and Ramen every night. 

So yeah I bet the ones benefiting are grateful.

So you don't want me to play a guitar solo on your song? Am I still getting millions to not play? Yes. Okay I'm in.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I watched it when it came out on Disney and I thought it was awesome.  It was only $8 for a month.  I didn't care so much about the personal stuff - it was kept to a minimum.  Watching them play music work in the studio was pretty amazing.  I thought they did a great job editing the studio work.  And it seems like it was about the right length to me.  I waited a few days between episodes.

I don’t get that? Bite the hand that feeds you? Somebody has to be the responsible one & make **** happen.. Otherwise you wander off into worlds of Heroin or making Movies that are Flops & drain money like a siv. Or decide you’re going to become an Actor… Left alone they weren’t to wise without Paul & his Connections to the Eastmans..

You can’t spend your life as a Clown if you want to be something….

4 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I don’t get that? Bite the hand that feeds you? Somebody has to be the responsible one & make **** happen.. Otherwise you wander off into worlds of Heroin or making Movies that are Flops & drain money like a siv. Or decide you’re going to become an Actor… Left alone they weren’t to wise without Paul & his Connections to the Eastmans..

You can’t spend your life as a Clown if you want to be something….

It all derailed when Brian Epstein died. After that they were still making some of the best music ever in recorded history, but they were like someone who can't swim, and gets thrown in to the deep end of the pool.

20 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

But yes  Macca was very how shall we say BOSSY. 

There was a Arena (uk series) episode at one Sgt Pepper anniversary (dunno which one now) in which Paul complains about the 'Lennon McCartney' song  credit. He  wanted it to be 'McCartney Lennon' and {quote} "but John was always more bossy, saying 'no, it sounds much better the other way 'round". Of course John was not there to confirm or deny this.

That was a good program. I had it on videocassete for years. I'd like access to it (or a digital copy) now. Lots of input from George Martin.

2 hours ago, Larsongs said:

In a Business someone has to be Boss…

But you're forgetting this old story----

All the parts of the body got together to decide who was going to be the boss.

The hands said they should be the boss because they did the work the man had to do to get paid.

The legs said they should be the boss because they carried the man to where he does that work.

The brain said it should be the boss because it sends all the signals to the hands and legs so they could do what they do.

The heart said it should be the boss because it pumps the blood up to feed the brain to make it work.

The stomach said it should be the boss because it processes the food into the fuel  that the blood carries to the brain to feed it and make it work

The asshole said, "I'll show you who's boss." and closed up letting nothing pass.

In a few days the hands were shaky, the legs were weak, the stomach ached, the heart was racing and the brain's signals were being ignored.  And the moral is....

You don't need to be a brain to be boss.

Just an asshole.  [cool]

Whitefang

• Haha 1