Gibson Brands Forums

Thing You Don’t Get

Sgt. Pepper

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Well, if you don't like jazz/fusion, then you're bound not to like----

[wink]  But I like it!  [thumbup]

Can listen to Jaco all day.

Whitefang

I’ve heard it. I am not a WR fan. They are talented guys and Jaco was one of one. No one was like him.

21 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

So my point is, if the "tax preparer" is going to "go over it all" why don't the employers just send the W2 straight to the tax preparer and cut out the middle-man who is not trained in any way to deal with tax documents?   Seems like a colossal waste of time. 

There's thousand of people who prepare tax returns in this state alone.  And all charge different fees.  And those people will often want the person whose tax return they're working on present in case any questions come up.  Some do drop off their papers and come back later when they're finished, but those are generally people whose tax and income situations rarely if ever change .  And now in the last decade or so TURBO TAX and other DIY options have entered the mix.  And they caused a whole other series of problems.  The guy I get my tax stuff done by calls it "Trouble Tax".    And with a wink says he can't complain about the amount of money he made from people bringing in all their Turbo Tax records for him to straighten out. [wink]

Whitefang

On 7/23/2022 at 11:54 AM, Whitefang said:

Well, if you don't like jazz/fusion, then you're bound not to like----

[wink]  But I like it!  [thumbup]

Can listen to Jaco all day.

Whitefang

I haven't heard that in years, it may by Jazz, but it in nowhere near being anything Punk.

On 7/23/2022 at 7:13 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

I’ve heard it. I am not a WR fan. They are talented guys and Jaco was one of one. No one was like him.

I was and am a huge WR fan.  "I Sing The Body Electric" was reviewed in Rolling Stone along with "Crossings" by Herbie Hancock.  I bought both LPs, cut the review out and still keep it in one of the sleeves.  Then I first saw them early 1973 at Ronnie Scott's and was so completely knocked out I went back again later in the week.    I missed them with Alphonso Johnson in 1974, but the next time was Jaco's UK debut at Hammersmith on a bill which included Cobham/Duke with Alphonso and John Scofield, and  Shakti.  I went all 3 nights running.  I'll never, ever forget that.

The last time (of many times) I saw Weather Report was Jaco's final UK tour which I think was '81.  By that time the show was divided into the new stuff, the solo spots and the big finale and encore.  It was at the Rainbow Finsbury Park Theatre and there was a clock over one of the exits.   I looked at it when Jaco began his bass solo; half an hour later by that clock...he was still soloing and receiving a slow handclap.  I got up and left at that point, furious with Jaco for (as I saw it)  near-destroying my favourite band; much later I was very shocked and surprised to hear of his violent and pointless death ('87).

And although the band came back brilliantly with Omar Hakkim and Victor Bailey, I didn't go see them in '83 or '84 when they toured; I remembered the long boring solo spots and decided not to go.  

I wish I still had the choice to make that decision.    But I saw Weather Update (with Steve Khan) and followed Zawinul until his death in 2007, by which time his group The Syndicate had no USA musicians at all in it and was no longer playing jazz.   Wayne Shorter did continue playing jazz, eventually forming an award-winning free jazz quartet with Perez/Pattitucci/Blade which pursues the same group improvisation goals as the original Weather Report.    Like the other surviving founder of the group, Miroslav Vitous.

Don't get me started on fusion!!!! +:-@

[thumbup]

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, jdgm said:

I was and am a huge WR fan.  "I Sing The Body Electric" was reviewed in Rolling Stone along with "Crossings" by Herbie Hancock.  I bought both LPs, cut the review out and still keep it in one of the sleeves.  Then I first saw them early 1973 at Ronnie Scott's and was so completely knocked out I went back again later in the week.    I missed them with Alphonso Johnson in 1974, but the next time was Jaco's UK debut at Hammersmith on a bill which included Cobham/Duke with Alphonso and John Scofield, and  Shakti.  I went all 3 nights running.  I'll never, ever forget that.

The last time (of many times) I saw Weather Report was Jaco's final UK tour which I think was '81.  By that time the show was divided into the new stuff, the solo spots and the big finale and encore.  It was at the Rainbow Finsbury Park Theatre and there was a clock over one of the exits.   I looked at it when Jaco began his bass solo; half an hour later by that clock...he was still soloing and receiving a slow handclap.  I got up and left at that point, furious with Jaco for (as I saw it)  near-destroying my favourite band; much later I was very shocked and surprised to hear of his violent and pointless death ('87).

And although the band came back brilliantly with Omar Hakkim and Victor Bailey, I didn't go see them in '83 or '84 when they toured; I remembered the long boring solo spots and decided not to go.  

I wish I still had the choice to make that decision.    But I saw Weather Update (with Steve Khan) and followed Zawinul until his death in 2007, by which time his group The Syndicate had no USA musicians at all in it and was no longer playing jazz.   Wayne Shorter did continue playing jazz, eventually forming an award-winning free jazz quartet with Perez/Pattitucci/Blade which pursues the same group improvisation goals as the original Weather Report.    Like the other surviving founder of the group, Miroslav Vitous.

Don't get me started on fusion!!!! +:-@

[thumbup]

That is the thing I hate about any shows. I am a guitarist, and even I don't want any guitarist to play a 30 min solo just because they can. Take 2 mins and show off a bit and go back to the music. Those long stupid drum and space jams at The Grateful Dead shows were called bathroom breaks.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

16 hours ago, jdgm said:

I had to do some catching up on WR.  Wasn't that familiar with them until I got tickets to see John McLaughlin at a concert in which Weather Report was opening for him.  Knowing John's Mahavishnu Orchestra was finally disbanded.  Not knowing what to expect it turned out John was going around promoting his SHAKTI album, and Weather Report just came out with BLACK MARKET.  Great show.  Not only did I rush out for both LPs, but decided to go back a few and got "Tail Spinnin' " and "Mysterious Traveler"  too.  [wink]

Last time I saw WR was early '80's at the Royal Oak theater.  Jaco was obviously wired as when trying to end  the number "Gibraltar" Jaco kept playing, so they all joined back it and I noticed Zawinul  looking at Shorter and both of them glance at Jaco and shrug their shoulders.   At that show Al DeMeola opened for them.

As for what I don't(or didn't) get musically, I'd say most of the '80's pop/Mtv fare.  And all that "Spandex Ballet"  big hair so-called "Heavy Metal".  Which to me was mostly aluminum in weight.

Whitefang

20 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

As for what I don't(or didn't) get musically, I'd say most of the '80's pop/Mtv fare.  And all that "Spandex Ballet"  big hair so-called "Heavy Metal".  Which to me was mostly aluminum in weight.

Whitefang

The 80's were rough. The synth driven sounds of the day made it into every facet of music and we barley got out alive.

Herbie Hancock doing Rockit? WTF you played with Miles Davis?

Here it is in all its 80's glory. Your a Jazz pianist right?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Sad 1

There were a very few things to come along rock wise then.  But for the most part it was a waste.  I couldn't believe the same Joe Jackson who did "Sunday Papers" and "Mad At You"  and "Jumpin' Jive" did anything like  "Steppin' Out."  [scared]

Whitefang

On 7/23/2022 at 10:35 AM, ghost_of_fl said:

I don't get why the system of paying taxes in America hasn't changed.  I'm supposed to tell you what I think I should be paying in taxes.  Then 'they' tell me if I'm right or wrong.  If they have the answer, why ask the damn question?  

'Cause you have the option of making different withdrawl payments.  Like the rest of the system, there's options, but to take them, you have to go through the BS. 

On 7/23/2022 at 12:45 PM, ghost_of_fl said:

So my point is, if the "tax preparer" is going to "go over it all" why don't the employers just send the W2 straight to the tax preparer and cut out the middle-man who is not trained in any way to deal with tax documents?   Seems like a colossal waste of time. 

Because that's not the way the lines of responsibility run.  The employer isn't responsible for dealing with anybody but you.  They send it to you, you deal with it.  If you have an accountant, they tell you what to do.  You just send them the stuff.  It's not that awfully bad.

58 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

I don't get why we have to buy winter clothes in the summer, and summer clothes in the winter.  

Lose a winter coat in December and you're fuct.

Ha!  Been there, been that.  [wink]

1 hour ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Aye, guess I just don't get that.  They deal with my health insurance company, 403B and state pension. Not sure why they would draw the line at the IRS.  🤷‍♂️

Too many things can change in the course of a year for too many people for any employer to try to keep up with.  Especially if their employment levels are high.  My experience with GM is when payroll fudged up the records of my payroll deducted child support payments.  That had my *** in a sling for a few costly months.  And I wouldn't want the risk of them screwing up my tax records as the penalty of that is more hassle and costly.  

Whitefang

On 7/25/2022 at 11:39 AM, Whitefang said:

There were a very few things to come along rock wise then.  But for the most part it was a waste.  I couldn't believe the same Joe Jackson who did "Sunday Papers" and "Mad At You"  and "Jumpin' Jive" did anything like  "Steppin' Out."  [scared]

Whitefang

I would rather listen to J J - Night And Day, than Herbie Hancock at that time, trying to be relevant, with scratching and synths. 

I have Joe's first 3 albums on vinyl, and Night And Day, Beat Crazy, Body And Soul, and the double live one. I saw him a few years back on The Fool Tour (I think Joe said it was opening night of the tour). Graham Maby was with him. He was so damn good. N & D is a decent album. There was no need for N & D II.