Gibson Brands Forums

Thing You Don’t Get

Sgt. Pepper

Talk about things I don't get:

I just sat through "The Million Dollar Hotel" w/ Mel Gibson and Milla Jovovich. I later found out it was co-written by Bono of U2 fame. It was a two hour train wreck. 

Edited by gearbasher

1 hour ago, gearbasher said:

Talk about things I don't get:

I just sat through "The Million Dollar Hotel" w/ Mel Gibson and Milla Jovovich. I later found out it was co-written by Bono of U2 fame. It was a two hour train wreck. 

There are two weird movies I have seen in those commercial trailers. A movie called Nope and one called Bullet Train. B T has cute Brad Pitt in it. I recognize Nope-one in Nope.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Stormzy. He has less than zero musical abilty and I don't get the hype. In fact the whole 'grime' genre. He makes even the worst bands look amazing. If you don't know his music (well. you're lucky), but check out Big for Your Boots. Terrible on all levels. 

To me there is a difference in things I don't get (in music) vs things I don't like. 

There are bands I dislike intensely such as the Cure, Queen, Dexy's utterly rubbish Midnight Runners - to name but 3 -  but I understand why other people like them.   I have one Van Morrison LP - I tried but I can't stand the groaning.  Same with Springsteen and Bowie (though I have 'Let's Dance' - because of Nile Rodgers, SRV, Omar Hakkim)...where the personality is more important than the music.   But stuff I just don't get.....always that bleep n' booster 4 on the floor dance 'music'.

Johnny Depp with Jeff Beck? I get that it's a calculation on the part of each of them to sell, as the combined audience must be huge.  

OTOH there are things you don't get at first......but that's a whole other thread. [wink]

Edited by jdgm

20 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

But wasn't he eating the cheeseburger on the beach?

I like the songs Come Monday and Son Of A Sailor and that is about it. My wife loves him and has seen him several times. 

I am not sure I get him either, and I'm not a big fan of most of his tunes, I do like that Come Monday tune, and there has to be some others I can't call to mind right now.

Maybe this is another case of "if it aint broke..."   

He's got a huge fan base,  who am I to argue with success!!  :-k

Edited by kidblast

15 hours ago, jdgm said:

But stuff I just don't get.....always that bleep n' booster 4 on the floor dance 'music'.

Same here. I never got why people like electronic dance music. I find it extremely boring and often lacking in any real melody/ harmony. It just repeats for ages, nothing happens, then it ends. There's a reason a lot of people at raves are 'high' as that's the only way I can imagine anyone being able to enjoy it. Almost as bad a Stormzy! 

23 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

But wasn't he eating the cheeseburger on the beach?

I like the songs Come Monday and Son Of A Sailor and that is about it. My wife loves him and has seen him several times. 

"Son Of A Sailor" was the only one of his I liked.   Nothing after that.

21 hours ago, gearbasher said:

Manscaping:  When I had my hernia surgery, it was done for me. I kind of liked it. You know, shave your beard and your nose looks bigger. But, I would never do it myself.

Anyone, including me, going down there with a razor or any other sharp object is something I can't abide.  Especially on a regular basis.

And my nose doesn't look bigger without my beard.  At least when I grew it, it didn't look smaller.  So logic prevails.

And by now, it would be;.....

Shave my beard and my chins increase.  [wink]

Whitefang

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

"Son Of A Sailor" was the only one of his I liked.   Nothing after that.

Anyone, including me, going down there with a razor or any other sharp object is something I can't abide.  Especially on a regular basis.

And my nose doesn't look bigger without my beard.  At least when I grew it, it didn't look smaller.  So logic prevails.

And by now, it would be;.....

Shave my beard and my chins increase.  [wink]

Whitefang

I'm so old and so sheltered, I didn't even know what "Manscaping" meant!

I never got Jazz Fusion Rock stuff. It usually had an interesting song and then just boring 20 minute jams that go nowhere.

I still to this day still don't get B-itches Brew or Birds Of Fire or any of the Classic Jazz Fusion stuff. 

The Grateful Dead do 20 min jams too,  and I get sick of those.

9 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I never got Jazz Fusion Rock stuff. It usually had an interesting song and then just boring 20 minute jams that go nowhere.

I still to this day still don't get B-itches Brew or Birds Of Fire or any of the Classic Jazz Fusion stuff. 

Well, I can't agree with you on that! Mahavishnu Orchestra have long been one of my favourite bands. Birds of Fire is amazing and one of the most fantastic albums of all time.

I never much got into Miles' B-itches Brew album though, so I'm with you on that one. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cody78 said:

Well, I can't agree with you on that! Mahavishnu Orchestra have long been one of my favourite bands. Birds of Fire is amazing and one of the most fantastic albums of all time.

I never much got into Miles' B-itches Brew album though, so I'm with you on that one. 

I think with Jazz Fusion, it was a big show-off-fest of who could play faster, and more technically proficient. 

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think with Jazz Fusion, it was a big show-off-fest of who could play faster, and more technically proficient. 

…and what is wrong with that?! Joking. I understand why some people don't like it, but I think there is a place for complexity and a place for simplicity...unless it's dull EDM.  

Speaking of mindless “jam bands”… Phish is another band I just don’t get. I think every sound they have ever made is pointless. Their fans would claim I just blasphemed though. 

My buddy would just want to “jam” and would record it for a nice pointless 15 minutes of pure crap. I don’t like “jamming” when I play. It’s even worse than fusion jazz because when the guys I played with jam, they played the same rhythm in one variation or another for the entire time. Brutal… Sometimes I’d just stop for a minute or two to send a signal to stop… never worked. 

Edited by NighthawkChris

???  

What America are you referring to?  In the U.S. of A  I've never been asked what I think I should be paying.   They'll tell you what you should be paying, based on income and all that.  And you pay it or else.  Or show cause as to why you should pay different(list legitimate deductions, etc.)   And of course, it does need some changing.  Needs more fair balancing.  The top 1% income bracket pays a much lower percentage than the middle and lower classes.

Now, musically, I like Fusion(or "jazz-rock" as we first called it) but like all genres, there's artists and bands I like better than others.

Here's a couple "fusion" examples.  Tell me what you don't like about them?

and

Incidentally...the bassist on the first clip is Fernando Saunders and on the second clip, Ralphe Armstrong.

Both Detroit boys.  [thumbup]

Whitefang

19 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

???  

What America are you referring to?  In the U.S. of A  I've never been asked what I think I should be paying.   They'll tell you what you should be paying, based on income and all that.  And you pay it or else.  Or show cause as to why you should pay different(list legitimate deductions, etc.)   And of course, it does need some changing.  Needs more fair balancing.  The top 1% income bracket pays a much lower percentage than the middle and lower classes.

Now, musically, I like Fusion(or "jazz-rock" as we first called it) but like all genres, there's artists and bands I like better than others.

Here's a couple "fusion" examples.  Tell me what you don't like about them?

and

Incidentally...the bassist on the first clip is Fernando Saunders and on the second clip, Ralphe Armstrong.

Both Detroit boys.  [thumbup]

Whitefang

The Jan Hammer one sounds like a LSD infused Kansas out take, and I actually nave that JLP album and a few others, but his music gets on my nerves, and should have just played for Frank.

It's a legality.  A Federal law requires everyone to file a tax return, which is a form you(or a tax preparer which is better for the, like me, math deficient) send in to the IRS(internal revenue service) .  Your employer sends you a W-2 form which shows your annual income and how much tax you paid for the year. The  tax preparer goes over it all, determining if you paid over what you were required, or overpaid, in which case you'll get a refund from the Federal government for the amount of overpayment, known as a "tax refund".  

I don't pretend to know all the reasons why there are some discrepancies in all that.  Could be anything from your misstating your dependents, or your employer  withholding the incorrect amount of tax.

Whitefang

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The Jan Hammer one sounds like a LSD infused Kansas out take, and I actually nave that JLP album and a few others, but his music gets on my nerves, and should have just played for Frank.

Or stayed with John?  [wink]

Whitefang