Gibson Brands Forums

Thing You Don’t Get

Sgt. Pepper

Almost any artist you listen to has 3 or 4, maybe more, 'watermark' songs that float and make them noteworthy.  I've found this to be true from the early days of album buying until now.  

There are exceptions.  Not many.

Edited by jedzep

I would agree with both Oasis and Radiohead. I'm not saying that I don't like anything they did. I just don't think they are that big a deal. Especially the way the journalists and music critics give Radiohead a god-like status. 

I was never much of a Zappa fan.  Don’t think he had any influence on me.  Just didn’t hear much of him on the Top 40 back then.  Hell, I wasn’t even a major Beatles fan, although I did like their folksy stuff……….You know, come to think of it, maybe Zappa did influence me.  I haven’t eaten any yellow snow for years.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, jvi said:

2 different threads and posts to say you dont like a couple bands , so what ? or,  big deal....

well..  in the spirit "open discussion" it's just a talk point really

Edited by kidblast
  • Like 1

Some of Radio Head is ok, but I kind of feel the same,  and Oasis, never really listened to much of them, and their name has come up a few times in this forum recently.

I must have missed the whole thing...

One of the guys I went to school with and still hang with on occasion, is a huge Frank Zappa fan,  so he fed me a steady diet of that stuff on the times we'd be together, and music was around.  Which was always b/c he is a very good keyboardist/pianist.  Like anything else, it's all about the pallet   Frank was a gifted guy,  I just never really caught on to what he was doing.

My son likes a lot of what he calls "Vibey" stuff, and so I'm still inundated at times with a lot of music I'd have never heard before,  which is ok.  I just  don't care for a lot of it.

But I listen... I try   I'm old, kind of like a luddite... that pretends he's cool after all???

On Topic:

In my teens & early 20s I would listen to stuff I didn't get if I felt there might be something worthwhile in there. Did that a bunch. Free Music, modern jazz, 12 tone etc.

30s-40s Most music I didn't like, I got. So, yes I get it, but its not for me (cheesey/repetitive/overworked/extreme etc)

50s onward: I need to admit here that there is some stuff that I don't like, that may have more value than I can appreciate. Its like becoming your parents "turn that racket down!"

You know, stuff I that am just not educated to. 

13 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

I was never much of a Zappa fan.  Don’t think he had any influence on me.  Just didn’t hear much of him on the Top 40 back then.  Hell, I wasn’t even a major Beatles fan, although I did like their folksy stuff……….You know, come to think of it, maybe Zappa did influence me.  I haven’t eaten any yellow snow for years.

When did we ever hear Frank in the Top 40? Except that time Valley Girl was nonsense seudo-hit, but if you strip away the dumb spoken "Valley Speak" Moon is doing, the guys are playing some interesting stuff.

Frank was on tour in Europe when all that started happening in '82 and had no clue till he got back to the States he had a hit on his hands and must have cringed.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

19 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I posted in another thread I don’t get Muse and Oasis. I also don’t get Radiohead. Critics and fans love to heap tons of praise on them and I just don’t know why. 

Yeah I know Zappa will soon be mentioned.

At least I've HEARD of Zappa!

3 hours ago, kidblast said:

well..  in the spirit "open discussion" it's just a talk point really

He will find a way to think my intention was hate. Cause the words "Don't Get" are the Same as HATE, right?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

12 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

Weasel Rip My Flesh is part of our family vernacular!   Not the music....just the saying!

Funny album cover, but for me its a sub-par Zappa album. My Guitar Wants To Kill Your Mama, Oh No, and Orange County Lumber Truck are the only songs I like on that album. The slide guitar/Little Feat legend Lowell George is on that album.

I think Johnny Carson grew up in a small town in Nebraska.   One time he was asked if the people in his hometown got "The Johnny Carson Show".....Johnny said, (something to the effect of), "Well...it's broadcast there, but I don't think they "get" it!" 

Sure, I think everybody has that feeling about many bands that the public just seems to love, love, love.  I might like a tune or two of each of the ones I put in this category, but for the most part, not a fan and don't really get the level of fame.  Which is...

JEFFERSON AIRPLANE--  Liked a couple tunes("Lather" and "Volunteers") but unlike the critics never considered them the "quintessential" '60's rock band.

STEPPENWOLF-- Liked "Born to be wild" and "Magic Carpet ride"  But seeing them live killed any interest I might have had in them.  Worst live band I ever suffered through.

BLACK SABBATH--  Nope.  Never got the distortion and dissonance.

DAVID BOWIE--Couple of tunes here too, but couldn't get into the glam androgeny  thing. Then his getting into the disco type crap.

THE DOOBIE BROTHER'S MICHAEL McDONALD  ERA--   The guy(to me) sounds like he's trying to sing and yawn at the same time.  And causes me to yawn when I hear him. [wink]

That's it for now.

Whitefang

4 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

THE DOOBIE BROTHER'S MICHAEL McDONALD  ERA--   The guy(to me) sounds like he's trying to sing and yawn at the same time.  And causes me to yawn when I hear him. [wink]

OMG  That's like the funniest thing I've read in weeks (hmm -- I guess I need to get out more)

!LOL!

Edited by kidblast
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

JEFFERSON AIRPLANE--  Liked a couple tunes("Lather" and "Volunteers") but unlike the critics never considered them the "quintessential" '60's rock band.

STEPPENWOLF-- Liked "Born to be wild" and "Magic Carpet ride"  But seeing them live killed any interest I might have had in them.  Worst live band I ever suffered through.

BLACK SABBATH--  Nope.  Never got the distortion and dissonance.

DAVID BOWIE--Couple of tunes here too, but couldn't get into the glam androgeny  thing. Then his getting into the disco type crap.

THE DOOBIE BROTHER'S MICHAEL McDONALD  ERA--   The guy(to me) sounds like he's trying to sing and yawn at the same time.  And causes me to yawn when I hear him. 

J A had some great songs, but some were just them doing to much LSD and recording. The first one with Signe on vocals in nothing special. Surrealistic Pillow to Volunteers were decent albums, a few stinkers on each album, but mostly solid. The last two J A albums, Bark and Long John Silver were just them clutching at straws.

Steppenwolf never did it for me.

Love Bowie from Hunky Dory to Scary Monsters. He did do some disco stuff, but it wasn't Bee Gee's disco. 

B S from the first to the Vol. 4 was stoner nirvana. On Sabbath Bloody Sabbath the amount of blow they were doing was beginning to show.

The Doobies were just an FM friendly band with some nice hits. After Takin It To The Streets I lost interest. Michael yawn/sings that song. Its also one of my fav Doobies songs. Love when Tiran Porter pops that bass note.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

22 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Love Bowie from Hunky Dory to Scary Monsters. He did do some disco stuff, but it wasn't Bee Gee's disco. 

Yep, another one.  '67's  "New York Mining Disaster 1941"  was, I believe, the first single of theirs released in the U.S.  At least the first one I ever heard.  Loved that tune.  And maybe a couple or so after that.  But sure, that Disco turn surprised and saddened me.  As did Rod Stewart's "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?" 

And too, disco  is something else I never got.    Along also, with the "Urban Cowboy" trend.    I couldn't fathom the minds of guys who've never been further South than Monroe, Michigan( still a fair distance from the Ohio border)  dressing up in ersatz  cowboy garb and speaking in phony  Western movie accents.  My second wife said she was into that for a short while a few years before we met.  But as she was 10 years my senior, she laughed it off saying, "I used to be into poodle skirts and saddle oxfords too. " [laugh]

I suppose at some time, either long or short, we all(most I'll bet) were once "into" some stupid stuff we'd like to forget and never admit too.  [wink]

Whitefang

1 hour ago, ghost_of_fl said:

Ok here's a band I don't get: Tool

Same sound/vibe on every song.  Vocalist I find annoying.  Guitar player who thinks a bunch of feedback is a guitar solo.   Drummer overplaying at all times.  Distorted mess where the bass would usually be.  I just can't find anything to like about Tool. 

fmenufffbvi81-2.jpg

Tool are now so pretentious. I haven't liked them since Lateralus. 

On 7/18/2022 at 12:41 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

The Doobies were just an FM friendly band with some nice hits. After Takin It To The Streets I lost interest. Michael yawn/sings that song. Its also one of my fav Doobies songs. Love when Tiran Porter pops that bass note.

They aint no Captain and Tennile, that's for sure!!  😄

• Haha 1