Gibson Brands Forums

Once Again What Is Wrong With People

Sgt. Pepper

So, I have one of my guitars for sale on Reverb for local pick up only, and a guy contacted me and said he was interested in buying it and for a friend of his in Australia. Great but I really don’t care who your buying it  for. Then he wanted more pics and details about the guitar, and he even sent me an address in Washington state that I can mail it to if he buys it. I guess this guy doesn’t understand what local pick up is. Buy it if you want and if you live in Washington State, that’s a long drive to SC.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2

He would know - but wouldn't care.  Reminds me of when my father in law put his house on the market in Tallahassee.   People coming to look at it would put up their noses and criticize the furnishings.   And then there'd the people who leave reviews on Amazon who buy an item clearly described as being 12" long,  and give it one star because it doesn't fit in their whatever.    I just keep reminding myself - half the population is below average in intelligence.  

• Like 1

Sometimes I think they ask questions like that so they have more of a basis to return an item. If I were to be dumb enough to say “this amp is all original”, they could easily point out one capacitor had been replaced (for example). After  close to 9000 transactions on eBay, I am careful with my wording. 

3 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

I have a 1966 Ampeg B-15 on Reverb. A guy asked questions and he got answers.

LsYjLfg.jpg

All Ampeg tubes are original in all models, its why Paul Gilbert plays a Ampeg SVT.

Yeah the tubes from a 1966 amp are the originals. My guess is nope.

9 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Yeah the tubes from a 1966 amp are the originals. My guess is nope.

All but the rectifier tube are labeled Ampeg in this amp. Which is puzzling, because we all would assume it had been retubed, possibly many times, but I'm having a hard time believing this particular guy went to the length to acquire Ampeg branded tubes (which are actually made by Sylvania in this case).

But hey.... (shrugs)

18 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So, I have one of my guitars for sale on Reverb for local pick up only, and a guy contacted me and said he was interested in buying it and for a friend of his in Australia. Great but I really don’t care who your buying it  for. Then he wanted more pics and details about the guitar, and he even sent me an address in Washington state that I can mail it to if he buys it. I guess this guy doesn’t understand what local pick up is. Buy it if you want and if you live in Washington State, that’s a long drive to SC.

You must have been using simple, plain English.  Just being in forums like this should have made it clear to you that  most people these days have a problem making sense of it.  [wink]

Whitefang

14 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

I'm having a hard time believing this particular guy went to the length to acquire Ampeg branded tubes (which are actually made by Sylvania in this case).

But hey.... (shrugs)

If he felt the need to lecture you like he did, I have no problem believing he's someone who plays ONLY through 1966 tubes - or not at all. 

44 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think '66 was the holy grail year for tubes, just like that classic '59 LP everyone wants to to find in a dusty closet, but its just a 1870's Martin instead.

I get a mild headache with 1966 tubes made in March of 1966, otherwise you're spot on. 

The March tubes are infamous in the small but vocal group of 1966 tube gourmets. 

(I feel like I'm rapidly turning into Sparky..) 

1 minute ago, Pinch said:

I get a mild headache with 1966 tubes made in March of 1966, otherwise you're spot on. 

The March tubes are infamous in the small but vocal group of 1966 tube gourmets. 

(I feel like I'm rapidly turning into Sparky..) 

I wonder if they were using tubes made for harp blowers and not for rocking guitars?

On 10/25/2022 at 3:46 PM, ksdaddy said:

Sometimes I think they ask questions like that so they have more of a basis to return an item. If I were to be dumb enough to say “this amp is all original”, they could easily point out one capacitor had been replaced (for example). After  close to 9000 transactions on eBay, I am careful with my wording. 

Ya.  You have to be careful on wording.    If folks cant get a deal at the beginning. They will do what ever they can to get a deal on mis wording. 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2022 at 2:58 PM, ksdaddy said:

I have a 1966 Ampeg B-15 on Reverb. A guy asked questions and he got answers.

LsYjLfg.jpg

If I were that dude, my next question would have been, “What are tubes?”….lol……I know literally nothing about all the different amps available.  I don’t go much beyond knowing where to plug-in my mic and guitar cables………>……..Seriously, the guy on Reverb that I bought my Martin “Johnny Cash” D35 from was pretty damn sincere.  Told me over the phone he bought it new in 2018 for his son.   Said his son wanted to learn to play, but all he did was complain about his fingers hurting and it hadn’t been out-of-the-case in over two years.  I asked him why he spent that much for a teenager that didn’t know what he was getting in to.  He said he thought a really  good guitar would make his boy want to really play…..   The guy’s heart was in the right place at the wrong time and I was in the right place at the right time.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MissouriPicker said:

If I were that dude, my next question would have been, “What are tubes?”….lol……

They're like those globe things you shake and snowflakes start swirling around in the liquid around Frosty the snowman, except there's no snowman and they make the sound warm. 

That's the extent of my tube knowledge. 

• Haha 2

I once had a guy offer to buy my car.  It wasn't for sale, mind you,  but he kept insisting.  Even offering to let me sell him the car, and let him take ownership now, but will pay me at the end of the following month!  [omg]  He was probably figuring since he was the Uncle of a friend of mine that I should be able to trust him.  Telling that friend about his Uncle's sweet deal he said, "Hell, I'm surprised my folks let him in the house to use the bathroom."  Apparently it seems this guy couldn't be trusted as far as you could throw a bus.

Whitefang

22 hours ago, Pinch said:

They're like those globe things you shake and snowflakes start swirling around in the liquid around Frosty the snowman, except there's no snowman and they make the sound warm. 

That's the extent of my tube knowledge. 

That’s a very technical answer, but we’ve got a snow globe with Frosty in it and I’ll start studying it…..lol

2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Technically,  at some point in the past 2 billion years, all water was snow at one time.   So, while the plastic shavings in 'Snow Globes' is not snow - the water was at one point.   
(Thought I'd beat WhiteFang on pointing out this obvious error on your part.)

Snow or ice? If we're gonna split hairs, lets split them correctly.