Gibson Brands Forums

Need help with SJ-200!!

budtee

Hi everyone! I don't know much about Gibson acoustic guitars. Therefore, I ask you to help me figure it out.

So, one guy from Armenia wants to sell me a guitar - SJ 200

He says he bought it in the USA in 2016. Serial number is correct. The guitar is beautiful but looks a little strange, so I have doubts about its authenticity.

Could you help me understand if this is a fake or an original.

Thank you in advance for the answers!

IMG_20221108_173442_305.jpg

IMG-20221107-WA0020.jpg

Edited by budtee

• budtee changed the title to Need help with SJ-200!!
52 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Looks sketchy to me.    I'd pass.  Something hokey about the fret markers.   Case too. 

I agree. Rossetta looks suspect, pickguard looks cheap, the fretboard extends past the sound hole, type on the label looks suspect and probably a few other things I'm missing. I wouldn't buy it as a true Gibson. 

Edited by Dave F

1 hour ago, budtee said:

Hi everyone! I don't know much about Gibson acoustic guitars. Therefore, I ask you to help me figure it out.  

So, one guy from Armenia wants to sell me a guitar - SJ 200. He says he bought it in the USA in 2016. Serial number is correct. The guitar is beautiful but looks a little strange, so I have doubts about its authenticity. Could you help me understand if this is a fake or an original? 

Thank you in advance for the answers!

IMG_20221108_173442_305.jpg

IMG-20221107-WA0020.jpg

See how I formatted your post? It's also easier to read when every sentence isn't bullet-point. Just some friendly advice for the future.

As for the guitar, it looks fishy to me, so I would pass if I were looking at it. At that price, I would always err on the side of caution. 

It's weird, most of what i see looks pretty good, but the label is sketchy and a few other details don't make sense. The bridge looks pretty good though, and that seems like one thing they wouldn't get right (the pictures aren't the best though so maybe i'm off on it).

1 hour ago, DanvillRob said:

Well, it HAS to be fake!   Whoever built it put in a lot of pretty stuff, then simply forgot a truss rod and cover plate!

The OP did ask if it was. . The body contour is wrong , headstock is wrong.     Btw who would buy a guitar from that region anyways.   

shipping would cost more than the guitar. 

26 minutes ago, slimt said:

The OP did ask if it was. . The body contour is wrong , headstock is wrong.     Btw who would buy a guitar from that region anyways.   

shipping would cost more than the guitar. 

Well....I hope we helped budtee....he never responded to any of the posts.

1000% fake. Label is wrong, binding around birdsbeak is dismal, pickguard is wrong, bevelling on the edge of the bridge is wrong, body shape is slightly off around upper bout, sunburst isn’t right, case isn’t a Gibson case…plenty to avoid!

20 hours ago, slimt said:

The body contour is wrong , headstock is wrong.     Btw who would buy a guitar from that region anyways.   

shipping would cost more than the guitar

19 hours ago, Dave F said:

May be a guitar he modified to look legit and he was just having us critique it for him.  He hasn’t returned since after posting it and getting the first response

Interesting.  I was guessing he was legit and in Europe somewhere so shipping, etc. would not be expensive and it's hard to find SJ200s.   BUT ...  his English is very good and it was his first and only post.  So,  could be someone from China setting up a Gibson knock-off factory in his garage who wanted to know what things would tip off a buyer.  Good thing we didn't tell him to be sure the TRC should have 3 screws. 

• Like 1

I have a 2016,  the truss rod is always at the nut.  the pickguard doesn't look right nor does the "burst" finish look kosher

The  2016 standards did not have the double bars on the bridge, 

I could go on -- it's fake, walk away.

Edited by kidblast