Gibson Brands Forums

Is this Gibson Custom Shop quality?

gsnake

30 minutes ago, Farnsbarns said:

They have been made in the CS for a number of years now, but yes, for many years the Les Paul Custom wasn't a custom shop model. Rather misleading, I always thought. 

The Custom existed long before there was a Custom Shop, my friend, and it didn't cost much more than a Les Paul.  Fretless Wonder, because of the low skinnys on it.  I had a couple before I was 17.

rct

14 minutes ago, rct said:

I wouldn't be, but then, I'm taking it out and making it look way worse in a few months.  What are you going to do with it?

rct

I am fine as long as this is not a defect in manufacturing which will result in some issues later on.. 

4 minutes ago, gsnake said:

I am fine as long as this is not a defect in manufacturing which will result in some issues later on.. 

Like all things that cost a lot and are beautiful, when you look close there can be small uglys in there.  It is just fine.  Go for it.

rct

• Thanks 2

The imperfection in the lacquer along the joint between the neck and the body - where there's an inside corner.  That's pretty normal.  No big deal.

I wouldn't worry too much about what kind of wood it is.  It is what it is.  Kind of looks like rosewood in the first pic but kind of looks like ebony in the last pic.  You can't be sure about what fingerboard materials were being used in that era, because Gibson, under the previous ownership, got busted for possession - of illegal woods - and couldn' stomach telling the public what was really going on with the whole thing.  They were not George Washington cutting down the cherry tree.  Think consent decree.  Gibson didn't use ebony for five years and Henry J. didn't go to jail.  Good deal.

• Thanks 1

Gibson didn't use ebony for 5 years because they were not allowed to, and/or what they agreed on to keep the King safe from harms way (aka those pesky government entities that are always regulating stuff, and interfered with the poor guitar makers wood supply chain).

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

The imperfection in the lacquer along the joint between the neck and the body - where there's an inside corner.  That's pretty normal.  No big deal.

I wouldn't worry too much about what kind of wood it is.  It is what it is.  Kind of looks like rosewood in the first pic but kind of looks like ebony in the last pic.  You can't be sure about what fingerboard materials were being used in that era, because Gibson, under the previous ownership, got busted for possession - of illegal woods - and couldn' stomach telling the public what was really going on with the whole thing.  They were not George Washington cutting down the cherry tree.  Think consent decree.  Gibson didn't use ebony for five years and Henry J. didn't go to jail.  Good deal.

It 2020 guitar so must be ebony..