Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG Standard Translucent Ebony

Alfa

Here is my '15 SG Standard, this SG is made like a '61 Reissue, the finish is incredible and the slim taper neck is pure pleasure, fantastic.

Fingerboard inlays are not plastic, they are made with real Mother of Pearl that give nice blue and pink colors. Of course I removed the GForce tuners, they were too heavy and I installed a set of KLUSON Revolution, they are light weight (very important for the SG), ratio is high 1/19 and the keys are very smooth. The best tuners for a Gibson IMHO.

The wide bevel pickguard came from Creamtone, the nut is a GraphTech TusqXL, pickup rings are taller M-69. I made a bridge conversion, Gibson ABR-1,  the knobs are vintage repro.

The stock wiring is hand made (no PCB), with single coil split on the volume potentiometers. The finish i a cool Tranlucent Ebony.

sg_st242.jpg

sg_st241.jpg

sg_st243.jpg

Edited by Alfa
  • Like 2

I love that translucent finish.  I wanted the same but didn't want to wait for the supply chain in 2012 with I bought my standard.

Settled for heritage cherry, (kind of dark, like a wine red).  But the one like yours is what I would have rather had bought.

• Like 1

Here is a 2000 SG Special I once had. Best of the 3 or 4 SG's I owned, and at one point I had a SG Std. It may look black, but its dark brown. I hated those pups and shortly after taking the photo the original open coils went back in. Just in case I forgot what guitar it was, Gibson put SG on the TRC to remind me.

iO8An6v.jpg

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, kidblast said:

I guess those would be P94s?

either way,  P90s usually don't sound like arse.   Noisy  yea,  but arse sounding?  not usually

I think that was what they were. They were official Gibson pups. If that is what P-90 were supposed to sound like and that is what the P-90 guys rave about, then I just didn't get it. 

29 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think that was what they were. They were official Gibson pups. If that is what P-90 were supposed to sound like and that is what the P-90 guys rave about, then I just didn't get it. 

I like what other people do with p90s but they’ve never been as good as humbuckers for my personal taste. Good for certain things but I can do everything I want with humbuckers 

19 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

P90s do their own thing

P94s would probably follow suit,  Be kind of close, but different.

standard Strat and Teles for example are single coils too, but nothing like a P90.

You might not just like them Chief.  they give a raw biting tone.   They are not for everyone.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/29/2022 at 3:20 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

Here is a 2000 SG Special I once had. Best of the 3 or 4 SG's I owned, and at one point I had a SG Std. It may look black, but its dark brown. I hated those pups and shortly after taking the photo the original open coils went back in. Just in case I forgot what guitar it was, Gibson put SG on the TRC to remind me.

iO8An6v.jpg

Nice and rare SG Oxblood finish

On 12/19/2022 at 4:58 PM, duane v said:

Where did you get the "repro knobs" and how do they differ from the standard knobs of today.

Thanks 

The knobs come from Philadelphia Luthier Tools :  https://www.philadelphialuthiertools.com/knobs/volume-and-tone-control-knobs/bell-hat-knobs-black-with-silver-reflector-us-set-of-4/

Crazy Parts are fine too :  https://www.crazyparts.de/knobs/knobs--tips-lp-es-new/gibson-style-knobs/vintage-reflector-head-black-silveface-knobs-set-4.php

sg_st245.jpg

Edited by Alfa

3 hours ago, duane v said:

Thanks for the info:

PLT only had a tone and volume knob which I purchased, and they told they wouldn't have any more until the end of January. CP don't have any in stock. 

Yes I use similar knobs..  I found that this is the secret to more tone from your guitar  😄 

The secret to more guitar tone...

Edited by Rabs
  • Like 1

On 1/5/2023 at 2:36 PM, duane v said:

Thanks for the info:

PLT only had a tone and volume knob which I purchased, and they told they wouldn't have any more until the end of January. CP don't have any in stock. 

Look at Crazy Parts Premium "CAB" Reflector Heads, those knobs are nice vintage repro.

https://www.crazyparts.de/knobs/knobs--tips-lp-es-new/gibson-style-knobs/premium-cab-reflector-heads-black-silverface.php

gibso113.jpg