Gibson Brands Forums

Amazing Thrift Store Find (No Gibsons Though)

zombywoof

I stopped in at our local thrift house to look at a banjo a friend is thinking of bidding on in their silent auction.  While there, as is my habit, I wandered through their electronics section looking for old tube gear.  Lo and behold sitting at the end of aisle was an old Leslie rotary speaker cabinet. "Holey Moley" says I. And decorum will not allow me to repeat the next couple of words I uttered when I saw the $15 price tag.  Even if it does not work, considering what these things sell for, this will still qualify for a deal of the century award.  And if it does work.  Yowzaah.  

Edited by zombywoof
  • Like 1

• zombywoof changed the title to Amazing Thrift Store Find (No Gibsons Though)
3 hours ago, Murph said:

I played with a guy who used one back in the 70's.

We had to drag that thing all over the country, and he only used it in one song...

Oh man I stood right in front of it and it was worth every ounce of effort.  Nothing like Boston and Kansas  with a real B3/Leslie.  Holy crap my knees quiver just thinking about it.   Sloe Gin Fizz and an ashtray on top of it.  lolz

rct

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, rct said:

Oh man I stood right in front of it and it was worth every ounce of effort.  Nothing like Boston and Kansas  with a real B3/Leslie.  Holy crap my knees quiver just thinking about it.   Sloe Gin Fizz and an ashtray on top of it.  lolz

rct

I was a beer guy, but yea.

I kept the ashtray smoking all the time...

• Like 1

That is a steal,  chances are you'll get it running.  Stuff was made to survive nukes back then

They WERE the bomb.   Played in a band in the 70s with a keyboard player who had a Leslie 900. 

Those came in two delightful pieces.  A bottom section and as an added bonus, top section

You did not want to be around when it was time to move that thing but holy crap that sucka moved walls.

I play drums in a funk organ trio and the organ player has the full B3/Leslie setup and it sounds glorious.  He has an electronic version that suffices for playing out, the real deal is just too heavy for these old guys to be moving around.

10 minutes ago, G Man said:

I play drums in a funk organ trio and the organ player has the full B3/Leslie setup and it sounds glorious.  He has an electronic version that suffices for playing out, the real deal is just too heavy for these old guys to be moving around.

I have a Hammond XK-1.  Does a good enough B3/Leslie that I can spend hours just swirling up giant chords.  I'm in heaven.

rct

30 minutes ago, rct said:

I have a Hammond XK-1.  Does a good enough B3/Leslie that I can spend hours just swirling up giant chords.  I'm in heaven.

rct

My buddy has the Hammond SKX Pro Dual playing through a pair of QSC 12" powered cabs, it definitely gets the job done.

30 minutes ago, zombywoof said:

This Leslie fails my amp test which is if I cannot pick it up myself it is not coming home with me. 

I hear ya, man.

I'm going to have to eventually sell my Mesa and a bunch of stuff that I simply don't want to lift anymore.

On 12/1/2022 at 3:51 PM, rct said:

rct

On 12/1/2022 at 4:24 PM, G Man said:

My buddy has the Hammond SKX Pro Dual playing through a pair of QSC 12" powered cabs, it definitely gets the job done.

My father loved electric organs and owned a few different models over the years. His last one, a Hammond Elegante, was purchased new in 1984, and  he played it until his death in 2001. It is still in my mother's condominium, and as no one plays it, we have been trying to dispose of it. 

We have passed the selling stage, and are not even having any luck trying to donate it to a school, church or community centre. It seems, unless we are able to transport it to wherever, no one is interested in accepting it. Very strange.

RBSinTo

14 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

We have passed the selling stage, and are not even having any luck trying to donate it to a school, church or community centre. It seems, unless we are able to transport it to wherever, no one is interested in accepting it.

I've been given probably a half dozen old organs in as many years. Thomas, Hammond (not "money" Hammonds), even an old Farfisa reed organ. I tinker with them as much as I'm able and can usually get them running. My reward for this is to give them to the next person because nobody will pay $10 for them.

ksdaddy,

Standard pianos cause the same problem.

A few years ago, I met a seller at his home when I purchased an electric guitar.

After we closed the deal, he pointed to, and asked if I wanted a piano , as he couldn't sell it or even give it away.

It was mine to take if I could remove it from the house. 

Today, it appears that only really expensive Steinway Grand Pianos and their equals have any re-sale value, and then only in a very small niche market.

Electric keyboards have driven the rest of the old-style pianos to the brink of extinction.

RBSinTo