Gibson Brands Forums

2023 should be a great year for Gibson Acoustic Guitars!

Larsongs

4 hours ago, rct said:

No man, long time ago.  All the same characters are still there though, nobody leaves a job at that place!

There is an effort throughout the industry to curb the liberties many retailers take with sales language, and what you are talking about is probably that.  But don't believe for a minute it is Martin.  It is, or it will, be all of them.

Here is the current spec page(s) for the current D-28.  I don't know how much more specific you want them to get.

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/standard-series/D-28.html

rct

If those Specs are satisfactory to you,  I am happy for you. For all those who Specs are of no importance, I am happy for you as well.. 

Edited by Larsongs

I love Guitars! Acoustic, Electric, Bass Guitars, 6 Strings & 12 Strings. Domestic & Foreign.. Inexpensive, mid priced & Premium.. I have a fair sized Collection.. 

I’m in the market for another Acoustic 6 String.. I really like Martins. The Volutes are uncomfortable to me. I have a D-35 already., The only other Martin without the Volute is the D-18’s… I also like Gibson’s, Guild’s, Colling’s & some other Acoustics as well.. Hopefully I will find one I really like that comes with a really detailed Specific Spec Sheet. If not I’ll be ok with the Acoustics I have… 

Thank you for all your responses on this lengthy Thread!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I love Guitars! Acoustic, Electric, Bass Guitars, 6 Strings & 12 Strings. Domestic & Foreign.. Inexpensive, mid priced & Premium.. I have a fair sized Collection.. 

I’m in the market for another Acoustic 6 String.. I really like Martins. The Volutes are uncomfortable to me. I have a D-35 already., The only other Martin without the Volute is the D-18’s… I also like Gibson’s, Guild’s, Colling’s & some other Acoustics as well.. Hopefully I will find one I really like that comes with a really detailed Specific Spec Sheet. If not I’ll be ok with the Acoustics I have… 

Thank you for all your responses on this lengthy Thread!

Any Martin with numbers lower than 28 in the Standard Series will not have the V shaped thing. 15’s, 16’s 17’s, 18’s, and 21’s all no V shaped thing. The 35’s and 36’s don’t either, and you called and I guess you asked why. I was told ages ago but forgot why. Basically I don’t care why, I just know which ones do and don’t. My 000-18 nope, my J12-16GT nope, and my 000-28 yep. I don’t think Martins Mexican, or the Road Series stuff has the V shaped thing either.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

My D-28 has the volute, while my j-45, Guild GAD jf-30, Washburn parlour (I can't be bothered to look up the model number), Solo DYI classical, and Grenada ES335 knock-off do not.

And I can't detect any difference, pro or con in the playability in any of them based on the presence or absence of the volute.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Any Martin with numbers lower than 28 in the Standard Series will not have the V shaped thing. 15’s, 16’s 17’s, 18’s, and 21’s all no V shaped thing. The 35’s and 36’s don’t either, and you called and I guess you asked why. I was told ages ago but forgot why. Basically I don’t care why, I just know which ones do and don’t. My 000-18 nope, my J12-16GT nope, and my 000-28 yep. I don’t think Martins Mexican, or the Road Series stuff has the V shaped thing either.

You are correct. I just looked at all those models Pics.. My J-12-16GTE has no Volute.

The Martin Customer Service Rep either, didn’t know what he was talking about or probably understood me to mean 6 string Premium Guitars in the range of D-28’s (Dreadnought) or higher..

"Maybe it was my cheap "Meijer Thrifty Acres" computer speakers, but it sounded like a hollow body electric trying to sound acoustic to me.
Whitefang"

By the way, an interesting note about my electric guitar track (from Eric Clapton’s Woman Tone). Also, I read this topic. Although I'm still not aware of all the whims of guitar manufacturers and their guitar specs, but I moved this comment here to broaden the horizons about the 6-string guitar.

As I said before, an electric guitar is the same 6-string guitar as an acoustic one. And so, it may well have the same frequency range from 80 Hz to 12 or 14 kHz. I.e., all current magnetic pickups and combo-amp-cabinets for electric guitar with a range of up to 5 or 6 kHz, in fact, these, speaking in computer language, are also "crutches" that do not reveal the full range of what the electric guitar is capable of.
Of course, the electric guitar will not be completely similar to the acoustic, and it does not need to try to be similar, it has its own beautiful tones and shades, no worse than from the acoustic guitar, just others [thumbup]. To make it clear, I will give a link to one video:

I once showed this video but did not disclose how this guitar sound was obtained. In reality, this sound did not work out at the studio even despite Jan's 12-string electric guitar. In turn, the young guitarist of our group and I did not know how to play this song, Jan was only passing through Russia for 2 days, and on this video, we only create the appearance that we are allegedly playing. But Jan sang well, and I decided to save this video. In the end, I learned this song on guitar at home and additionally recorded a new guitar track using my computer and one of my 2-pickup guitars with that know-how humbucker that I later patented. And to the studio multitrack I added this new guitar track... and voila, the video came to life. 

Of course, Paul McCartney plays this song on an acoustic guitar, but here it also sounds beautiful despite the absence of acoustic guitars. It's also delicious ice cream, I like it Sgt. Pepper says, [smile] it's just a different kind of ice cream. Moreover, I will say more, I think that the sound in clean on an electric guitar can be even more interesting than on an acoustic guitar. Probably in the near future I will make another attempt to offer my pickup to Gibson to start producing new generation guitars. I have already contacted Fender twice; but they seem to be more interested in selling their Acoustosonic Stratocaster.

9 hours ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I put on "Pee Wee's Big Holiday" a couple of days ago - there's a great snarky line he uses.  You know how some people push to end a conversation with "ok well I'm gonna let you go" .... 

Pee Wee flips the script with: "let me let you let me go".  😅

Now I have a much clearer understanding of the thought process of many here!! LOL!!😀

Edited by Larsongs

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

Let's let this thread go.

Anybody got a Bono to throw on it?

Yep. Here it is. I just want to know why just why.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/u2-new-album-songs-of-surrender-1234658553/

Jeff Beck passed today. Screw these useless clowns. Jeff has had a more interesting career with any 3 notes he’s played than anything done by these posers.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

The official word from Martin:

Thank you for contacting C.F. Martin & Co.!

We are happy to assist with this inquiry!
Select Hardwood which refers to various Mahogany and Cedar woods.

These account for woods that fall into the generally accepted family of Mahogany including Cedar, Sipo, and Sapele which are sourced from many different countries. All of the woods function the same and are similar in visual characteristics. 

We do not keep records of which species of Mahogany or Cedar we used per serial number.

--------------------------------------

To extrapolate, same deal with the Spruce.  If you like it, buy it.  If not, don't.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SteveFord said:

These account for woods that fall into the generally accepted family of Mahogany including Cedar, Sipo, and Sapele which are sourced from many different countries. All of the woods function the same and are similar in visual characteristics. 

We do not keep records of which species of Mahogany or Cedar we used per serial number.

--------------------------------------

To extrapolate, same deal with the Spruce.  If you like it, buy it.  If not, don't.

But a piece of paper if you like the guitar makes it sound better no matter what us idiots think. 

Does the steak your eating taste good? Does it matter if in Angus or Hereford or one of the others types of cattle? Excuse me server, I only eat Angus beef farmed in Omaha, Nebraska from the Circle J Ranch. And I'll need to see the paperwork for it. Or I'll have a hamburger. I don't care where the beef came from for that, cause I'm gonna put pickles, onions, tomatoes, cheese, mustard and mayo on it. And the bun better be a Ciabatta Roll.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I will say this - the comparisons between cars and guitars never end.  With a high end car, just like guitars, at some point you aren't paying for functionality any more and it's just "bling". 

Like if I get the nicest car Ferrari makes, they will probably tell me exactly where they sourced the tree for the finely crafted wood accents on the dash.   Not just the species, they'll probably tell me the name of the guy who cut the tree down.  I'm exaggerating but with boutique/luxury items, the sky is the limit.  

Is Martin a boutique/luxury brand?  Well .... sort of.  They build very high quality products but they also deal in high volume.  Not very boutique on the operations level.  

So ... Yeah to me it's relatable, but no I don't care which premium wood is in my Martin, as long as it performs the way I expect for that price point.   190 years of building guitars for music royalty; I do trust the brand name. 

They were good enough for CSNY, and they are way to good for my sorry playing.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, SteveFord said:

But....

Cedar isn't a hardwood.

Whitefang

4 hours ago, Whitefang said:

But....

Cedar isn't a hardwood.

Whitefang

Hard is relative. Its harder than Balsa, but not as hard as Ebony.

So yes and no at the same time.

Eastern and Western red cedar are gymnosperm trees, so most cedar wood is considered softwood. Spanish and yellow cedar, however, are hardwoods. With that said, Eastern red cedar, although considered a softwood, has a significantly higher janka rating than the other varities and is thus stronger and more durable.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper