Gibson Brands Forums

2023 should be a great year for Gibson Acoustic Guitars!

Larsongs

19 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

I don’t care what I spend my money on or what I'm getting.  That's why I'll spend $2000 on a Martin guitar instead of $250 on a Yamaha guitar.  Oh wait. 

There is a reason Martin’s and Gibson’s cost what they do. And a Epi costs what it does. You want a Lamborghini you pay the Lamborghini price. You want a Prius it doesn’t cost as much and why? - The Specs.  But do you really need to look up which one has more Horsepower?

Just got off the Phone with Martin... They do not put Chips in any of their Guitars.. The Guy kinda laughed.. 

They do hang a 2" Chip thing around them while in the factory being Built to locate them.. But, it doesn't leave the factory with the 2" Chip thing hanging off it..

Once again, I find it amusing how many will spend a lot of Money on any Brand of Premium Guitar & or other things without wanting Documentation from the Factory providing Specs as to what it is, what you're Insuring & possibly at some point selling...  Especially on a Guitar Forum! LOL!

When I finally find my next Guitar it will have a Spec Sheet from the Manufacturer.. I'm really & truly OK if other People don't want one for theirs.. 

This has been a fun Thread!!! Like someone metioned earlier, At least it's about Guitars..

BTW, this is Gretsch's Spec Sheet for the new White Falcon I recently purchased.. Quite detailed..

https://gretschguitars.com/gear/family/falcon/g6136t-59-vintage-select-edition-59-falcon-hollow-body-with-bigsby/2401513805

Edited by Larsongs

3 minutes ago, ghost_of_fl said:

🤣

Ok so you might want to call Gibson next.  Looking at their guitar specs, I see a lot of "mahogany" but not otherwise specified.  Isn't there like 50 kinds of mahogany?  

When I finally find my next Guitar it will have a Spec Sheet from the Manufacturer.. I'm really & truly OK if other People don't want one for theirs.. 

2 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Just got off the Phone with Martin... They do not put Chips in any of their Guitars.. The Guy kinda laughed.. 

They do hang a 2" Chip thing around them while in the factory being Built to locate them.. But, it doesn't leave the factory with the 2" Chip thing hanging off it..

Once again, I find it amusing how many will spend a lot of Money on any Brand of Premium Guitar & or other things without wanting Documentation from the Factory providing Specs as to what it is, what you're Insuring & possibly at some point selling...  Especially on a Guitar Forum! LOL!

This has been a fun Thread!!! Like someone metioned earlier, At least it's about Guitars..

BTW, this is Gretsch's Spec Sheet for the new White Falcon I recently purchased.. Quite detailed..

https://gretschguitars.com/gear/family/falcon/g6136t-59-vintage-select-edition-59-falcon-hollow-body-with-bigsby/2401513805

I’m shocked. I was just gonna rip off all my fretboards and headstock looking for them. And where do you think the battery would be? 
The fact you actually called is more funny than Steve posting it.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

That's actually what the lady tour guide told us.

The tour guides are retired Martin employees.  What I remember most about her was she hated working in the department that made strings and was so glad when production was moved to Mexico.

Edited by SteveFord

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I’m shocked. I was just gonna rip off all my fretboards and headstock looking for them. And where do you think the battery would be? 
The fact you actually called is a more funny than Steve posting it.

I had a few other questions too so I had some time & you all have inspired me! One thing I wanted to know is what Premium models don’t have the Volute besides the D-35…  Which is uncomfortable to a Guy who has played, many different Guitars, for 50 years without Volutes on any of them.. I’m not a fan of it.. Sorry.. The only other Martin model without the Volute is the D-18…

Edited by Larsongs

5 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I had a few other questions too so I had some time & you all have inspired me! One thing I wanted to know is what Premium models don’t have the Volute besides the D-35…  which is uncomfortable to a Guy who played for 50 years without Volutes on any Guitar or Own.. I’m not a fan of it.. Sorry.. The only other model without the Volute is the D-18…

Even when I play chords on the first fret, or open ones, my fingers never touch the V shaped thing. I must be doing something wrong.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

2 minutes ago, rct said:

What did they say about not providing specs for their guitars?

rct

That’s between him and Martin I suppose. Maybe he forgot to ask? We’re just the peanut gallery. He’s made such a huge fuss about it thought so . . . 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Ask them if that lady was pulling our legs about strings being made in Mexico.

It was odd as another woman at the end of the tour asked who had high end Martins and when I said I had an HD-28V she asked where I bought it and when I said private party she said well, hopefully it's not a counterfeit but I'm sure it's not.

Then she gave me some wood coasters made out of the section they cut out for the soundholes and out the door we went.

11 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Ask them if that lady was pulling our legs about strings being made in Mexico.

It was odd as another woman at the end of the tour asked who had high end Martins and when I said I had an HD-28V she asked where I bought it and when I said private party she said well, hopefully it's not a counterfeit but I'm sure it's not.

Then she gave me some wood coasters made out of the section they cut out for the soundholes and out the door we went.

Got the specs on those coasters? Hog, RW, Spruce, Cedar?  No No must be Richlite.

• Haha 1

Re; Martins’ answer about Specs.. I thought I answered that a few pages back.. 

Due to availability or lack thereof of Materials they decided to use what they can get & that was that….. 

I guess they realized most Guitar Buyers really don’t care what they’re buying anyhow. Judging from this Thread that appears to be true..

• Thanks 1

I’m sitting on the couch with a cup of Twinings Irish Breakfast tea with a Jack Russell curled up sleeping beside me. My wife is in the kitchen making something to take to work for lunch. I’m looking around this living room, into the kitchen, into one of the bedrooms.  Lots of wooden items. Some wooden items are what I call “compressed beaver sh*t”.  That includes a Fender amp off in the corner. Lots of pine trim. I know it’s pine by looking at it. I don’t know where the pine grew up. There’s a couple “built in” book cases with doors made from fir plywood. I don’t know what the inner layers are. I know it’s fir by looking at it. Distinctive grain on 60s plywood. All of my interior doors are 1963 hollow style, faced with some kind of mahogany. Over the years I’ve heard this style of door being referred to as Philippine Mahogany, sometimes Luan (sp?) Mahogany. Maybe neither is correct. There’s a Canadian rocker  I bought at an auction for a dollar. It’s made of oak. It is sitting on top of the hardwood floor we had installed in 2018. It is also oak. I have no idea what kind of oak. But I know it’s oak by looking at it. Once in a while I will see ash and think it’s oak. Sometimes I get mahogany and walnut mixed up on an older piece of furniture, especially if there are multiple coats of old varnish. There’s a hall table made of some variety of maple, topped by a circa 2005 Chinese radio CD cassette phonograph made to look like it was from 1940. It looks like oak from here. I don’t have my glasses on. It occurred to me that I don’t own anything that ever came with any type of spec sheet. For some strange reason, I really don’t feel cheated by any of the manufacturers, nor do I feel like my life is lacking anything. I guess it just shows that some things are important to some, and not important to others. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Larsongs said:

I’m going to call Martin & ask about the Chip… Seems like a lot of extra expense & work.. Especially given they won’t even provide a complete Spec Sheet.

If Martin really does that, Great! Seems they could also include the Specs with whatever else on on that Chip….

How can one access the Chip for information?

The elusive 'chip'  is not in the specs.  So, I wouldn't bother.   Maybe what RCT remembered hearing about was a Wood Chip.  

18 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

The fact you actually called is more funny than Steve posting it.

It's a "passive" chip, like on old credit cards, where it just bounces back some code (e.g. serial number), which is then accessible in their database. So no big deal in any case (except for ruining those slabs of precious wood). I think it's all #bs. 😁

9 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

The elusive 'chip'  is not in the specs.  So, I wouldn't bother.   Maybe what RCT remembered hearing about was a Wood Chip.  

I said nothing ever about a chip in a guitar of any kind.

I asked and I continue to ask, where is it found that CFMartin will no longer provide specs for "new" guitars?  At what point do I concede this?  When will I go to the CFMartin webpage and find no specs for a guitar?  If I continue to see specs on their page, who do I contact to ask them to stop, since it is a certainty that they are not doing this any longer?

rct

13 minutes ago, rct said:

I said nothing ever about a chip in a guitar of any kind.

I asked and I continue to ask, where is it found that CFMartin will no longer provide specs for "new" guitars?  At what point do I concede this?  When will I go to the CFMartin webpage and find no specs for a guitar?  If I continue to see specs on their page, who do I contact to ask them to stop, since it is a certainty that they are not doing this any longer?

rct

I apologize RCT.  I should have gone back and checked the source.   It was Steve Ford.    That is how threads get out of hand - misquoting people !!!     I think I'll  leave this one alone now.  

Why does someone who has no interest in Specs find joy in derailing & talking down to those who do?

Do those people realize that Engrs, Contractors & other Technicians used Specs to build everything all those things in your home, including your home, that you don’t care about & take for granted? And your Car or Truck.. The desk at your Work, the Tools that you use, 

The Switch on the wall isn’t something that was always there.. Or the Wiring, or the connection to your Electric Meter that provides Electricity to your home, work or all the other places you go!

What about the Computer you’re using right now? I could go on but you get the point.. If Specs aren’t important nothing could be built that is built! 

Specs weren’t just necessary, they we’re required.. 

According to Martin there is no Built in Chip!

When was the last time anyone played their Door? LOL!!!

When referring to specs, it can mean many things. House plans, around here anyway, are spec’d as SPF which stands for Spruce, Pine, Fir. When you spec’ed your cars color did you just specify the color or the actual chemical content of the paint? How far into specking do you want to go? What was the alloy ratio of the steel that was used to make the frame of your car? This is getting pretty silly!

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Why does someone who has no interest in Specs find joy in derailing & talking down to those who do?

Do those people realize that Engrs, Contractors & other Technicians used Specs to build everything all those things in your home, including your home, that you don’t care about & take for granted? And your Car or Truck.. The desk at your Work, the Tools that you use, 

The Switch on the wall isn’t something that was always there.. Or the Wiring, or the connection to your Electric Meter that provides Electricity to your home, work or all the other places you go!

What about the Computer you’re using right now? I could go on but you get the point.. If Specs aren’t important nothing could be built that is built! 

Specs weren’t just necessary, they we’re required.. 

According to Martin there is no Built in Chip!

I'm a retired auto worker.  What good would it do me(or anybody else) not trained or educated in automotive engineering to know the specs used in the manufacture of those automobiles?   The only "specs" about the car I buy that interests me is MPG,  engine displacement and seating capacity and other mundane info.  I'm not going to refuse to buy the car because they use a material for the seats I don't like or approve of.  And as I recall, I've never been asked, when ordering a car new,  what material I'd prefer the seats be covered with.  

And when buying audio components, the only worthwhile specs I  took interest in were on certain performance levels.  Watts per channel, signal to noise ratio, harmonic distortion rate etc.  Same with loudspeaker specs.

Where the rosewood came from that Bang & Olefsun used to use for their receiver, speaker and turntable components  didn't matter as they were usually only cosmetic concerns.  But I agree....

Those highly detailed niggling little factoid specification sheets should be available to those who request them so they can know whether or not they'll like the sound of their guitar or not.   [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Larsongs said:

Do those people realize that Engrs, Contractors & other Technicians used Specs to build everything all those things in your home, including your home, that you don’t care about & take for granted?

You're absolutely right. I worked for NRCS and the local conservation district for 26 years and had my share of interactions with project engineers. When timber bridges are designed, we could choose from a short list of acceptable species, and within that choice list, there may be more latitude as to dimension... a 6x6 tamarack might be considered as good as an 8x8 western pine, for example (I made that up, by the way). But not many people driving over that bridge care what species it is. It only mattered to the engineers.

Well, I made this banjo from a single stair tread...

L6fu7t2.jpg

THIS door?   [wink]

372318-the-golden-scarab.jpg

Whitefang