Gibson Brands Forums

2023 should be a great year for Gibson Acoustic Guitars!

Larsongs

I recently bought a Martin HD-28E.. It was a great Guitar but I just didn’t bond with it.. I was still looking for a D-28, But, now,  Martin has decided not to provide Specs for their Guitars.. They aren’t going to provide Materials for Bodies, Fretboards & other Parts of their new Guitars..

I want to know what I’m buying. Especially if I’m paying $3,000.00 or more!

They will be using different Woods but not say what it is? You don’t know what you’re spending your Money on..

Doesn’t seem smart to me!

See Link.

https://www.maurysmusic.com/maury_s_blog/view/208115/martin_guitars___the_use_of_sitka_spruce_in_2022

Edited by Larsongs
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/standard-series/D-28.html

Seem to me the top is Spruce, back and sides are EIRW, fretboard is Ebony, with a bone nut and saddle. The neck is the only mystery at select hardwood. 

I think they’ve always (since I’ve been looking) listed select hardwood for the neck.  Looking at their specs, I think the major change is advanced bracing for standard D28 which I would like. 

38 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I recently bought a Martin HD-28E.. It was a great Guitar but I just didn’t bond with it.. I was still looking for a D-28, But, now,  Martin has decided not to provide Specs for their Guitars.. They aren’t going to provide Materials for Bodies, Fretboards & other Parts of their new Guitars..

They will be using different Woods but not say what it is? You don’t know what you’re spending your Money on..

Doesn’t seem smart to me!

Larsongs,

I seriously doubt that Martin is going to destroy their reputation by suddenly building instruments from particle board and re-cycled skids. 

But if it lets you sleep better at night, buy an older, used one.

RBSinTo

• Like 1

I'm surprised at Martin with this. They could have stated a range of woods they could use and then state it on the label. Then the buyer could make an informed choice.

I've only come across this before with the present iteration of the Rickenbacker 650 (the C), the body wings are described as 'white wood or 'hardwood' (mine is maple).

All the previous versions (A, E, S and D) the woods were fully disclosed. But this is a solid body so it isn't too important, but for an acoustic model its vital.

Larsongs,

Your title for this thread and  statement in your initial post would seem to indicate that any success Gibson should have in 2023 will depend on Martin making what you feel are bad business decisions.

It seems to me that a better business plan would involve proactive planning based on what Gibson can do to make quality and innovative products, rather than  hoping for Martin to make mistakes.

RBSinTo

19 hours ago, Larsongs said:

, But, now,  Martin has decided not to provide Specs for their Guitars.. They aren’t going to provide Materials for Bodies, Fretboards & other Parts of their new Guitars..

They will be using different Woods but not say what it is? 

Be careful, Lars, those Martin guys are sensitive.

Edited by Murph
  • Haha 1

The only take away here is obvious.  Whenever you find something on the Internet, you need to research the claim from a few different angles.  "There's Two Sides To Every Story."  

The commenter on the article from Maury's which appears to be the impetus for this  Cirque de Soleil  has only two comments from a reader:  On his first he basically say Lutz Spruce is softer and therefore not as good as Sitka and may require stiffer bracing to get back lost tone.  ON his second comment he basically says "WHOOP !  Lutz is actually better and harder and the next guitar I order from Martin will specify that!"     (Another fanboy brought back from the brink.)  

Lutz is a naturally occurring hybrid of White Spruce and Sitka.  There are a half dozen species of spruce used as tone woods.  Not to mention cedar, koa,  mahogany, etc.   So ...   it's safe to say the top 2 (or 3?)  US acoustic guitar makers will do well in 2023.  

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Murph said:

We are a touchy bunch. I usually have a good cry in the closest, after I get off this forum when Martin has been disgraced, and the flaws pointed out by you J-45 types, of course I am wearing my Hello Kitty footy pajamas. The PJ's have the trap door on the butt to make pooing easier.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

20 minutes ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

Until then a Les Paul Standard (check), LP Tribute Special (check), ES-335  (check)... still in line there's a J45, and a SG 61 Standard. (Also a Fender Tele and a G&L Asat Special). I view the Martin D28 as a luxury! 😁

Why is it you want a D-28? I hear the binding falls off, and we are unsure, do to Martin's deceiving website, that we have to make guesses about what wood its made from.

I owned a D-28 and a HD-28V. Both killer. I just don't need huge booming Dreads in a small bedroom. I would love and M-36 or 000-28EC (Eric Clapton  model, not with electronics and a cutaway), but the fact is the matter is I will probably never buy another guitar ever again, and if I do it will not be new.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

4 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Why is it you want a D-28? I hear the binding falls off, and we are unsure, do to Martin's deceiving website, that we have to make guesses about what wood its made from.

I owned a D-28 and a HD-28V. Both killer. I just don't need huge booming Dreads in a small bedroom.

The correct anwser is "because it's iconic". Never had a Martin (or acoustic for that matter), but I know its sound from countless songs. No custom shop ambitions, just a normal set of guitars. This music is sheer enlightenment! 😄

6 minutes ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

The correct anwser is "because it's iconic". Never had a Martin (or acoustic for that matter), but I know its sound from countless songs. No custom shop ambitions, just a normal set of guitars. This music is sheer enlightenment! 😄

Please do not use the term iconic with Martin Guitars, its kind of insulting. That is reserved for only Gibson guitars which I am told are the best, AKA - Iconic. Yes if you have heard Page, Joni, Lennon and McCartney, Hank Sr., Dylan, Tony Rice, Michael Hedges, or CSNY, you have heard Martin Guitars all over the place. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Murph said:

I’ve owned Martin’s for 50 Years! I’m sensitive about for sure.. When I’m spending ing $3000.00 or more I want to know the Specs.. If you read the Specs for new 2023 Martins on Music Store Websites it won’t specify What kind of Woods on most of their Guitars.

I think as the Premium Guitar Manufacturer many of us believe they are they should let their Customers be able to know what they’re buying.. Many Premium Guitar Buyers want certain Materials.. 

I know it has turned me away from buying a new Martin. I have 2 Martins & 2 Gibson Acoustic Guitars.. Now I’m thinking of another Gibson or maybe a USA Guild D-55E Acoustic/Electric Guitar.. No problem with them providing Specs..

I started printing out the Manufacturers Spec Sheets every time I buy a new Guitar & keep it in the File.. All Guitar Manufacturers seem to delete them after a while…

Edited by Larsongs

So let’s say you go into a store and pick up a Martin. The look, feel, and sound are stunning. It’s the best acoustic you’ve ever played and you’re completely in love, but there’s just one problem. You don’t know what species it’s made from. Is it essential to know which species of wood or can we just appreciate the guitar as an instrument?

1 hour ago, Dub-T-123 said:

So let’s say you go into a store and pick up a Martin. The look, feel, and sound are stunning. It’s the best acoustic you’ve ever played and you’re completely in love, but there’s just one problem. You don’t know what species it’s made from. Is it essential to know which species of wood or can we just appreciate the guitar as an instrument?

Apparently from some posts it is.

And if you think on any Martin that is a D-18 and up is gonna be made with c-rap wood, your fooling yourself.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

7 hours ago, rct said:

Take a couple classes on reading comprehension there buddy.

rct

I’m not misreading this or the several other Articles I’ve read nor the 8 or so pages on the Martin Guitar forum regarding this Subject.. Including Martins Specs on new 2023 Guitars…

Perhaps you should take those Classes my friend!

“Note that individual serial numbers will not be associated with specific materials. Available inventory at the time of production will dictate which type of spruce will be used.

Which Martin Guitar models are affected? 

• All models that currently utilize Sitka spruce.          

Note that individual serial numbers will not be associated with specific materials or models. Available inventory at the time of production will dictate the material being utilized.”

On 1/1/2023 at 2:56 PM, Larsongs said:

But, now,  Martin has decided not to provide Specs for their Guitars.. They aren’t going to provide Materials for Bodies, Fretboards & other Parts of their new Guitars..

The spec is Spruce for the top.  Lutz or Sitka.  The Sitka thing has been going on for quite some time now, you just haven't noticed.

There is no magic in Sitka Spruce, it is the same spruce that is growing in other places that aren't allowed to call it Sitka.

Other than that, there is nothing in your link that indicates not providing material specifications for bodies, fretboards, and other parts of their new guitars.  Just that Spruce will be called Spruce with no location designator.

Or, maybe I do need some reading comprehension courses!

rct

For another, Necks will be referred to as hard wood.. Not Mahogany or ? There will be other unspecified Materials for Fretboards.. There is more in other Articles.. I’m just posting an FYI..

To each his own….

If I’m buying a $399.00 Epiphone or Squier I’m interested in how good it plays, sounds, looks & if it appears to be good quality for the money & not much more….

If I’m spending $3000.00, $4,000.00 or more for a Premium Guitar I expect more…  A lot more. How it plays, sounds, looks & quality, are important.. But, for that kind & money I expect more.. A Premium Guitar & Premium Customer Satisfaction.. I expect the Spec Sheet.. That’s my prerogative…

If it’s not yours, that’s fine.. 

7 hours ago, Larsongs said:

If I’m spending $3000.00, $4,000.00 or more for a Premium Guitar I expect more…  A lot more. How it plays, sounds, looks & quality, are important.. But, for that kind & money I expect more.. A Premium Guitar & Premium Customer Satisfaction.. I expect the Spec Sheet.. That’s my prerogative…

If it’s not yours, that’s fine.. 

I totally agree.

I wouldn't buy a guitar made from some magical "mystery" wood.

Being a brand fanboy is one thing, but that's taking it a bit too far.

I want details if they are trying to sell me a product.