Gibson Brands Forums

2023 should be a great year for Gibson Acoustic Guitars!

Larsongs

16 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Stop being part of the solution, it’s not what they want. They want any reason to discredit a guitar manufacturer, especially one that has been in the game longer than Gibson.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, rct said:

Can anyone point me to some source or other that Martin is no longer providing specs for their guitars, please.  Thank You.

rct

Nobody said that.. Martin won’t be telling you what Tone Woods in their Specs.. Starting with Bodies & Necks.. On many Premium Guitars…

You can check out Specs for new 2023 Guitars, like a D-28, & see for yourself..

I like going to Stores like Hollywood Guitar Center that has a huge Inventory of new, Used & Vintage Guitars & Amps.. Most smaller Stores never have what I’m looking for. Even if they do it’s lucky to have 1… Maybe 2.. Rarely 3… So you don’t really have the opportunity to try out several Models.. With a half Dozen or more of each to really see, touch, feel & hear the difference.. 

I’m long past working in small & large Music Stores. And I’m long past buying my first few Guitars..   I have no problem with those whose expectations are easily met.. I’ve come to want & expect certain things.. If you want to call me a Cork Sniffer so be it.. I'm really a Caretaker of fine Instruments.. Not only do I want to know what I have but when I pass them on or my heirs sell them on I  want the future Caretakers to know what they have. When the time comes for them to move them on there will be documented history.. I don’t perceive that as a bad thing.. Far from it..

19 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

Docudrama...

That’s the reason I keep coming back. It’s like going to Walmart. Ever time you go it’s a new show. Like here. Each day here is a new and exciting level of cork sniffing I get to enjoy.

2 hours ago, OrdinaryNimda said:

And being dazzled everytime by the wonders of price inflation? 😲

I think people who buy Gibsons want to pay high prices, so they can brag about how much they spent.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

That’s the reason I keep coming back. It’s like going to Walmart. Ever time you go it’s a new show. Like here. Each day here is a new and exciting level of cork sniffing I get to enjoy.

8 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I think people who buy Gibsons want to pay high prices, so they can brag about how much they spent.

You should probably write a research paper. Maybe get it published.  Or turned into a docudrama.  

20 hours ago, Larsongs said:

Nobody said that.. Martin won’t be telling you what Tone Woods in their Specs.. Starting with Bodies & Necks.. On many Premium Guitars…

You can check out Specs for new 2023 Guitars, like a D-28, & see for yourself..

Like this, at the bottom of the page, the LOAD MORE button.  You mean like this page?

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars/new-models/D-28-Authentic-1937-VTS.html?cgid=new-guitars

rct

For all of you who don’t like or need Documentation… Next time you buy an expensive Piece of Jewelry, Watch, Recording Gear, Amp, Car, House or whatever just tell them you like how it looks & feels.. You don’t need no stinkin’ Documentation! Just send me a blank Contract… I’ll sign it & send it back.. No worries….

11 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

You should probably write a research paper. Maybe get it published.  Or turned into a docudrama.  

If I was working on my Masters Degree that would be a good thesis. For my docudrama I would insist that Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson play the part of 40 Years Pickin (hasn't he been picking alot longer now?). He would be perfect for the roll. And in this killer docudrama when The Rock, portraying you, goes into Guitar Center to play the most expensive Gibson, and nails the opening riff to Smoke On The Water, he would give that sideways look he's know for. The people at home watching would just love it. Then he would met the girl of his dreams, they would date, they would have a misunderstanding, and break up, she would find out from her best friend it was just a misunderstanding,  they would get back together, and they would marry.

I should see if I can pitch that to the Hallmark Channel, so they can use that scenario for one of their hour long movies.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2

I want a spec sheet for the gallon of milk I bought the other day. It was pretty expensive.  What kind of milk exactly is it? What animal was milked for this milk I am now putting on my cornflakes, and in my morning coffee? What year was this milk extracted from what I'm hoping was an animal?  I hope I didn't get fake Chinese milk? Will my milk come with a COA? How can I tell if this is real milk? The only date  on the container I have is the expiration date, but nothing else. And whats up with this Half and Half stuff? Half of what and another half of what else is in there?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

11 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I want a spec sheet for the gallon of milk I bought the other day. It was pretty expensive.  What kind of milk exactly is it? What animal was milked for this milk I am now putting on my cornflakes, and in my morning coffee? What year was this milk extracted from what I'm hoping was an animal?  I hope I didn't get fake Chinese milk? Will my milk come with a COA? How can I tell if this is real milk? The only date  on the container I have is the expiration date, but nothing else. And whats up with this Half and Half stuff? Half of what and another half of what else is in there?

bla bla bla, you need a new song.

11 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Hmm  you know, .. ahh never mind.

just wait till you buy eggs!!!

3 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Let us know when you buy them (I guess both a D-45 and D-28) and let us know what you think of them.

I always thought the D-35 was a handsome guitar, hmmm....

My 1975 D-35 is a great Guitar! I also have a 20 year old D12-16GTE 12 String which is a really good Guitar.. A couple months ago I bought a new HD-28E.. I liked almost everything except the new V Shaped thing they’ve added to the underside of the Neck at the Headstock… I found it uncomfortable & not for me.. I returned it.. Most of the D-28’s have it.. Many of the new Martins have this feature..  But not all.. 

I ended up buying a G-6136T-59GE Vintage Select Gretsch White Falcon which is an unbelievably nice Ax!

I still want another Acoustic & was planning on going to the NAMM Show in April & play Gibsons, Martins & Guilds. I just found out it’s on my Wife’s Birthday so I won’t make this one…

But, I will be going to the Beach soon & I’ll take a day & go to Hollywood Guitar Center & play all I can.. In the meantime I need to sell about a half dozen Guitars I don’t play to help pay for my next Purchase.. 

To be Continued………

30 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

My 1975 D-35 is a great Guitar! I also have a 20 year old D12-16GTE 12 String which is a really good Guitar.. A couple months ago I bought a new HD-28E.. I liked almost everything except the new V Shaped thing they’ve added to the underside of the Neck at the Headstock… I found it uncomfortable & not for me.. I returned it.. Most of the D-28’s have it.. Many of the new Martins have this feature..  But not all.. 

I had the what you call a V shaped thing on my 2011 D-28, and on the 2004 HD-28V, and I think the 2018 D-41 had it too. My 2013 (with binding still intact) 000-28 has one. I think its on all models 28 and higher, but not on the D-35's. I read why, but I'm dumb and forgot the reason. Both the 2015 and 2017 D-35's I had did not have the V shaped thing. I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong its called a Volute?

I just looked at a picture on the internet, and on the back of a 1965 D-28 there was this V shaped thing. Its not a new thing Martin is doing.

You had me at HD-28 until you typed E. No electronics are allowed in my acoustics.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I had the what you call a V shaped thing on my 2011 D-28, and on the 2004 HD-28V, and I think the 2018 D-41 had it too. My 2013 (with binding still intact) 000-28 has one. I think its on all models 28 and higher, but not on the D-35's. I read why, but I'm dumb and forgot the reason. Both the 2015 and 2017 D-35's I had did not have the V shaped thing. I believe, and correct me if I'm wrong its called a Volute?

I just looked at a picture on the internet, and on the back of a 1965 D-28 there was this V shaped thing. Its not a new thing Martin is doing.

You had me at HD-28 until you typed E. No electronics are allowed in my acoustics.

My 1974 D-28 has the volute, which, I believe is there to add strength to the neck-headstock point.

RBSinTo