Gibson Brands Forums

Turning tube amp OFF vs. Stand-by...

heymisterk

...I found the amplifier information on other sections of this forum rather sparse, so I'll try here...

I play through a Mesa-Boogie all-tube combo, and I never know when I should switch on the Stand By button, or just shut the whole damn thing down. Is there a time frame "rule of thumb" any of you use? Do the tubes have a shorter life span when you turn the amp off and on frequently?

Thanks!

There was a really good article on the Gibson Lifestyle page (a series, really) that had a few real easy tips about taking care of your gear to help improve your tone. This was one of the tips. What I usually do before I play is turn the stand-by on and go wash my hands (I have farily oily skin and work with my hands frequently during the day), by the time I'm done the amp is usually warmed up and ready to go.

The cooldown doesn't have to be that long. I generally just wait 30-45 seconds, but sometimes longer if I played for an exceptionally long length of time at high volumes.

In the latest Guitar Player Magazine, Joe Bonamassa talked about using some of his older amps that hadn't been played in a while.

He states that because of the amplifier's age, sometimes he'd leave them on "Stand By" all night long so there was some electricity flowing through them.

Stand-by is there for a reason and it makes since to use it if you have it.

I leave it in standby for a minute or two before switching to full power when turning it on and put it back in standby for a few seconds before fully powering down. If I don't put it in standby first when powering down, there's a pop through the speakers; I don't know if it hurts anything but I figure I might as well prevent it from happening.

Another use for the standby switch is to put the amp in standby mode after playing to discharge the caps. This is only needed if you are about to open the back and poke inside the amp - which is not recommended if you don't know what you're doing.

I've read, to use standby for turning on.

To NOT use standby when turning off, just shut it off.

That's how I do it.

And I don't use standby on breaks, just turn down guitar volume.

I've heard the stand-by start up is better for your tube amp - I just never seem to bother or remember to do it. Years of tube amp use with no apparent adverse effects from the cold start up and quick shut down... Tubes are tough ya know.

Anytime I gig, I turn my amps ON first thing while setting up and switch them to standby, just to warm the tubes and saturate them. Generally, they are on for a good 30-40 minutes before I switch the amp into playing mode (standby off).

When I break, I switch the amp back to standby to maintain the heat on the tube. Tubes always sound best when they are good and hot, IMO. Been doing it for 40 yrs.

Just my 2 cents, never had any issues in this regard using Fender or Mesa amps.

Same as consistently stated above for me with my Fenders and Marshall.

Standby before on for at least a minute when powering up.

For long breaks I flip to standby just to kill the slight hiss.

On shut down, I use standby while I'm doing other things and flip the amp power off last thing.

Many older tube amps have no standby funtion at all.

Archived