Gibson Brands Forums

Attempted Guitar Theft At Guitar Center

DanvillRob

47 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

I wonder how long the guy laid out on the sidewalk in front of the Albuquerque Guitar Center?

https://citizenfreepress.com/breaking/do-not-steal-a-guitar-in-albuquerque/

Their in Texas doesn't anyone have a gun to shoot the idiot. He smashed the guitar a few times on the way down.  I consider even new guitars in GC used, cause unless you see it come off the truck, and get unpacked, who knows how many people played it, or tried to steal it, and smash it. The shadow of the guy filming it outside is FAF.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

14 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Their in Texas doesn't anyone have a gun to shoot the idiot. He smashed the guitar a few times on the way down.  I consider even new guitars in GC used, cause unless you see it come off the truck, and get unpacked, who knows how many people played it, or tried to steal it, and smash it. The shadow of the guy filming it outside is FAF.

If he was gonna get a beat-down like that, I hope he was, at least, tryin' to steal a nice guitar!

13 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

If he was gonna get a beat-down like that, I hope he was, at least, tryin' to steal a nice guitar!

Nope, looks like he grabbed a $150 POS from a stand close to the door when attempting to run out.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Looked like if he was getting the bums rush to the door and grabbed a cheapo on the way out. Probably on drugs or mental issues and should not be allowed out in public.  But, I guess Society feels it's  better than having them in places that are safer for them and safer for society.   Prices go up ...  part of our inflation.  Bet the guy does't even know which end of the pick is up. 

I liked the guy telling him to get out of the store, "right f**king now!" all the while keeping an armlock on the guy's neck.  

And by the way....

He WAS on his way out when the bearded guy pushed him to the floor.  And yeah, the thief did grab that cheapie ax on his way out and the store employee(I'm assuming) thus saved the store from faring better claiming the stolen item as a tax write-off. 

But years ago I recall seeing a Montel Williams talk show that had a guest who was a Best Buy employee who was fired after he stopped a thief from leaving the store with a few thousand dollars worth of merchandise.   I can't remember Best Buy's reason for the termination, but it did seem unfair.

Whitefang

2 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I liked the guy telling him to get out of the store, "right f**king now!" all the while keeping an armlock on the guy's neck.  

And by the way....

He WAS on his way out when the bearded guy pushed him to the floor.  And yeah, the thief did grab that cheapie ax on his way out and the store employee(I'm assuming) thus saved the store from faring better claiming the stolen item as a tax write-off. 

But years ago I recall seeing a Montel Williams talk show that had a guest who was a Best Buy employee who was fired after he stopped a thief from leaving the store with a few thousand dollars worth of merchandise.   I can't remember Best Buy's reason for the termination, but it did seem unfair.

Whitefang

Unfortunately, in these times you have to worry about legal and civil repercussions for these things.  

Had he stolen the guitar, it would just cause the price increase of every other guitar in the store.

If the guy sues, the price of gear in the store will increase, (since even Guitar Center can't print money).

If the store fires the bearded guy, every  other employee will turn their backs on theft....thus causing price increases to those of us who DO pay for gear!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

That's what I figured when watching that Montel show.  But it seems Best Buy survived anyway, even if they did rise prices considerably after any successful thefts.  Anyway,  Montel arranged to get the guy a job at the now Practically defunct Circuit City store in his region. That show was first broadcast in the early '90's.

Whitefang

1 minute ago, Whitefang said:

That's what I figured when watching that Montel show.  But it seems Best Buy survived anyway, even if they did rise prices considerably after any successful thefts.  Anyway,  Montel arranged to get the guy a job at the now Practically defunct Circuit City store in his region. That show was first broadcast in the early '90's.

Whitefang

I'm not much on TV.... watch RFD-TV some, and Battle Bots...that's about it!   So I've never seen that show.

1 hour ago, Notes_Norton said:

The last time I saw an attempted theft in a Guitar Center, it was the asking price for a piece of gear. I thwarted the theft by keeping my credit card in my pocket.

😄 😄 😄

GC have been ripping off musicians since its inception.

1 hour ago, Whitefang said:

And by the way....

Whitefang

I work at Home Depot P/T, and we are told if people steal, let them do it. Just try to remember anything you can about the person and item. The logic is to not get the employee's hurt in an altercation, if you think you are Billy Bada-ss, and want to take them down. Someone may have a concealed carry license, or a knife on them. I'm armed with my SKU Scanner, so . . .

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

My wife and I are in Florida visiting friends, and the other day, just for something to do, I visited a Guitar Center just to noodle a bit.

I'd heard them complained about for years on guitar websites, but had never been in one before, so thought I'd satisfy my curiosity and drop in.

None of the expensive instruments were available to play unless a salesperson unlocked the wall hanger, and because I had no intention of buying anything, I chose not to bother them, and ended up playing  the one high-end Martin whose hanger was unlocked. 

I think it would have been very difficult for the New Mexico would-be thief to get his hands on any valuable instrument, and take it out of the store undetected.

RBSinTo

15 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

My wife and I are in Florida visiting friends, and the other day, just for something to do, I visited a Guitar Center just to noodle a bit.

I'd heard them complained about for years on guitar websites, but had never been in one before, so thought I'd satisfy my curiosity and drop in.

None of the expensive instruments were available to play unless a salesperson unlocked the wall hanger, and because I had no intention of buying anything, I chose not to bother them, and ended up playing  the one high-end Martin whose hanger was unlocked. 

I think it would have been very difficult for the New Mexico would-be thief to get his hands on any valuable instrument, and take it out of the store undetected.

RBSinTo

Are you in FLA right now? If so how long you there? Damn wish I knew. Depending on where in FLA, SC is not too far. If your in Miami, thats far.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

They hang'em in Texas, ammo cost too much. New Mexico is a different state, out of their jurisdiction. Looks like that guitar was a Yamaha F335TBS. Very nice beginners guitar, they fret easy and the sound is excellent.. I bought two of them for family members 5 or so years ago. I saw them on a display neat the front door at GC  a while back.

Our son worked at Home Depot - 20+ years ago.  I think he was 'front end supervisor' or something. One day a thug was strolling out with a couple of expensive power tools. He tackled him and got punched and bit.  Thief ran off.   It was around that time they started to tell their managers to just let the thieves take what they want.  Flash forward - now we have people in the justice and law and order system who do the same.  I guess a little bit of violence goes a long way.  Especially when you can find an ambulance chaser to sue the deep pockets corporations. 

29 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Our son worked at Home Depot - 20+ years ago.  I think he was 'front end supervisor' or something. One day a thug was strolling out with a couple of expensive power tools. He tackled him and got punched and bit.  Thief ran off.   It was around that time they started to tell their managers to just let the thieves take what they want.  Flash forward - now we have people in the justice and law and order system who do the same.  I guess a little bit of violence goes a long way.  Especially when you can find an ambulance chaser to sue the deep pockets corporations. 

Remember criminals have all the rights and the victim has none.