Gibson Brands Forums

"Mighty Ohio" new tracked song, yes even an accordion...

Murph

New original, I'm playing the J-15, the 1933 Gibson mandolin, Fender Jazz bass, Fender square neck resonator and even a Lira accordion towards the end.

The Ohio river has taken a lot of lives and this is loosely based on that. I was going for a simple, relaxed Americana feel similar to Dave and Gillian.

• Like 1

Jeezamae. That one is excellent on EVERY level. Great writing, great performance instrumentally and vocally. It all goes together in a stunning way.

I couldn’t decide if the singing and general vibe reminded me of Randy Newman, John Hiatt or Levon Helm, and that is a VERY good thing.

Impressive.

Edited by dhanners623

21 hours ago, dhanners623 said:

Jeezamae. That one is excellent on EVERY level. Great writing, great performance instrumentally and vocally. It all goes together in a stunning way.

I couldn’t decide if the singing and general vibe reminded me of Randy Newman, John Hiatt or Levon Helm, and that is a VERY good thing.

Impressive.

You made my day.

I'll take those three vibes any day of the week.

16 hours ago, Janglemore said:

That was outstanding. Really good video too.

Thanks Jangle. 

It's my first one, all the others are just live solo videos.

For some reason, I wanted to track this one. Then I had to figure out how to make a video.

5 hours ago, the other side said:

Murph, is your phone ringing off the hook to do something with that song?  Man That was excellent! The photos fit perfect. Im in 110% agreement that's better than all that crap they call music on the radio/tv nowdays. 👏👏👏👏👏

Not yet.

I keep waiting, though.

Thanks for the kind words.

12 hours ago, philfish said:

Yea man, this may get you on the List. The program on the americana stations.

Seeing the Charlie Daniels photo in the video, thats whos voice Murph sounds like 

Me and Charlie go way back...

vjl40De.jpg

Thanks man. Nice thing to say.

Well. Checking in from a little R&R. 8:13 am after going to bed at 3:00 after playing a house party in Naples. I have no right to want to check in on any music anything, and this creation slaps me in the face. I don’t know who Dave and Gilliam is, but I can proudly say I know Ben.

This is A plus primo on every level. It shows the ten thousand hours. Be proud. 

23 hours ago, Salfromchatham said:

Well. Checking in from a little R&R. 8:13 am after going to bed at 3:00 after playing a house party in Naples. I have no right to want to check in on any music anything, and this creation slaps me in the face. I don’t know who Dave and Gilliam is, but I can proudly say I know Ben.

This is A plus primo on every level. It shows the ten thousand hours. Be proud. 

Dave Rawlings and Gillian Welch. Their recordings and "vibe" always feel like you're sitting in their living room. They don't do lightning fast solos, or EVER try to impress with ability, just simple recordings of Americana done with good taste.

You're so kind, Sal. I truly appreciate your support and opinions.