Gibson Brands Forums

James

James73730

Hi there,

my daughter inherited this lovely Gibson Les Paul Junior from her late Godfather.

Now I know nothing here. So please advise me as if I'm 4.

What's the history on this model?

My daughter wants to use it. It doesn't have a strap. What would you suggest? ... something that would fit and complement it.

Thanks!

James

20230226_010214.jpg

Edited by James73730
  • Like 1

Good chunk of wood.  My kid has dragged his around to cover song bar band gigs forever.  It's a little heavy on the shoulder, but 10X better than setting it on her lap.  She'll find a nice strap, then, hopefully not get frustrated learning to play. 

Here's some inspiration...

Oh yeah, it's pretty useless without a decent amp, so pull out the wallet.  There are great teachers and lessons on YT, but it takes bulldog commitment and ponderous repetition to play well.  Also, very short fingernails on the fretting hand.   Have fun!

Double cut LP Jr in 1958  That doesn't look at all like an actual vintage one, but could be.  Need the serial number, they have made many iterations of this guitar over the decades.  It doesn't really matter what year it is, it is a great rock and roll guitar, short scale so great to start out on, as it was intended.  And it can be a lifetime guitar, lots of guitar players have made some pretty great records using Jrs.

rct

Get a good leather strap, at least 3 inches wide, with no buckles and metal parts. She should always use it when playing, even when sitting down. And then just learn songs and practice a lot. If she likes to sing, that's even better.

These guitars are beautiful and sound great, plus feel natural to the hands. If your daughter likes music, she will love playing it. 

Edited by OrdinaryNimda

Strap - adjusted so the guitar is high enough she can fret with her left hand without stretching or stressing the wrist.  Forget those silly photos of guys that have their guitar down below their belt buckle.   Adjusted so it supports the guitar when she is seated too. 

Oh ...   and she'll need a decent amp to plug in to.  A simple one to start.   As noted - lessons will give her a jump start. Otherwise, she'll likely wind up like the 75% of people who take up guitar and quit after a year.   Forgoing a lifetime of the unique kind of joy you get from creating your own music !  

Any strap will do -- a wide brushed leather or suede strap will sit on the shoulders and not slide around.

Look for straps made by Levy  Straps - Levy's Leathers (levysleathers.com)  I gotta bunch, I like em a lot.

and like mentioned, she'll need an amp...  lots of choices, not expensive.  come back and ask questions here regarding that.

share the planned budget -- we love helping people spend their money!!   👍  Woot!!

Edited by kidblast

Amps are all over the place.

I helped my old boss get a nice guitar a few years ago.... I told him I'd find him a nice amp..... located one for $25..... went to pick it up, and just happens I knew the guy.... and he let me have it for $20...a NICE amp.... just gave it to my boss....didn't charge him anything.

I'd say your daughter is lucky on several levels.

She inherited a great looking and likely a wonderful playing guitar to start off with.  Not the cheap worth only as kindling POS's most of us did back in the "day".  Add to that a caring Father who has a genuine interest in her desire to make music her way and it adds up to one very lucky girl for sure.  And I'll leave it to you to decide if you want to also invest in one-on -one instruction.  Most music stores provide them and they ain't necessarily cheap but not too prohibitive in cost.   I don't know of any You Tube "lessons" that provide any kind of interaction between the "instructor" and the student where the instructor can evaluate the student's progress and/or be shown where or how any mistakes might be made and take proper steps to correct. 

But that may be just me.

Whitefang

Woah that looks like a 58 or so Jr. 

We should try to get some more info to figure out what it is because it could be really valuable 

rct what makes you think it’s not original? Because off the top of my head I see the single ply black trc, correct tuners and bushings, slanted uncompensated tailpiece, the small roundover would suggest it is probably an earlier double cut. The finish looks like the old school analine dye pore filler

its either a custom shop reissue or an original 50s from my initial guess. Either way it’s an expensive guitar. If you guys don’t know how to take proper care of this it might be best to buy a cheaper guitar to start out with and hold onto this one to eventually grow into. Or you could sell it and buy virtually any guitar your daughter wants with the money 

again we need more info but first glance it is a stunning guitar to inherit

Edited by Dub-T-123
  • Thanks 1

As far as straps I like these 

https://www.couchguitarstraps.com

any of the ones that are vinyl backed are comfy and they’re a good value with lots of different styles. Even my wife has bought a camera strap from them

the amp that would have originally come with this guitar is basically the same as a fender champ. A fender champ would be a great amp to pair with this

Seems, to me, to be too nicea shape to be one of the early ones.  But I assume always, and I shouldn't, that a guitar goes out and about and looks used fairly quickly.  But they don't all do that, so I could be completely wrong.  I see a really nice shape reissue or CS job, something someone didn't want to beat up.

rct

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rct said:

Seems, to me, to be too nicea shape to be one of the early ones.  But I assume always, and I shouldn't, that a guitar goes out and about and looks used fairly quickly.  But they don't all do that, so I could be completely wrong.  I see a really nice shape reissue or CS job, something someone didn't want to beat up.

rct

I decided earlier today that your name stands for “russ trod cover”

One thing that to me suggests it’s actually vintage is the small roundover. All the double cut reissues I’ve seen tend to have the big roundover but I could of course be wrong. It would be in really good shape if it’s original especially the Les Paul model silkscreen which is above the clear coat.. it looks like there might be a few dings through the finish on the top near the lower strap button 

to me it really screams vintage or high end custom shop in either case it’s a guitar worth some money and worth maintaining

8 hours ago, Dub-T-123 said:

I decided earlier today that your name stands for “russ trod cover”

One thing that to me suggests it’s actually vintage is the small roundover. All the double cut reissues I’ve seen tend to have the big roundover but I could of course be wrong. It would be in really good shape if it’s original especially the Les Paul model silkscreen which is above the clear coat.. it looks like there might be a few dings through the finish on the top near the lower strap button 

to me it really screams vintage or high end custom shop in either case it’s a guitar worth some money and worth maintaining

I see were you're coming from, but the wings on the head stock throw me off.

https://reverb.com/item/62248258-gibson-les-paul-junior-1960-cherry?bk=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJqdGkiOiI1ODUyZTBiNi02ZGJkLTQ4YmItOGJmNS03YTk5ZDczZGE5ZWMiLCJpYXQiOjE2Nzc1MDMyODAsInVzZXJfaWQiOiIiLCJzZXNzaW9uX2lkIjoiMDZmMjhjZTktMzc3Yi00ZWVjLWEyZmEtOGFkMThkNTU2ZDQ0IiwiY29va2llX2lkIjoiNzBiYTVkZWQtYjA3ZS00NmVhLTgzMTAtMWY4OGZiNTE2MWNkIiwicHJvZHVjdF9pZCI6IjYyMjQ4MjU4Iiwic291cmNlIjoiTk9ORSJ9.j01ICshvlKzLXUJPF72okMyhOsVNcgog5exRzV3ZNxA