Gibson Brands Forums

RIP David Lindley

PrairieSchooner

I had not heard.  Lawdy he will truly be missed.  One of the best there ever was or ever will be. I go back with David to Kaleidoscope. His version of "Mercury Blues" and his playing  behind Jackson Browne and Warren Zevon on their 1976 tour alone is the stuff legends are made of.    

Edited by zombywoof

I finally saw him with Ry Cooder in the mid 90s at Hammersmith Odeon, London.   A magical concert; I have never ever seen so many guitars and other string instruments on a stage. 

An absolute legend, a man full of music - definitely one of the greatest pickers of any era.

R.I.P.
Edited by jdgm

7 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

Long time fan here. I gave him a Goya electric back in ‘84. Never actually met him. 

You should tell more.

I was lucky to see'n'hear Lindley with C & N i 1976 - he had his own little-big section where the fiddle lifted us up under the roof.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            How sad to see this wizard now gone. Truly unique. . .

Board member JT has good stories about being on the road with D.L.  and J. Browne, , , as a reporter. He ought to udfold that experience himself. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, E-minor7 said:

You should tell more.

Not a huge amount to tell. I found an old Goya at a junk shop in 1984 for $12. I knew Dave was into weird old guitars. I thought he might like it as a gift. I mailed it to his management company (found the address on the back of an album) and a while later I got a nice multi page letter from Dave. He thanked me for the gift, said it was cool and he just happened to have the electronics for it (the pickups and controls are all mounted on one rectangular plate that is held to the body with 4 spring loaded screws). The electronic plate he had was RED however. I always hoped I'd see him play it sometime. It would have been instantly recognizable.

8gyIHqh.jpg?1

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

Not a huge amount to tell. I found an old Goya at a junk shop in 1984 for $12. I knew Dave was into weird old guitars. I thought he might like it as a gift. I mailed it to his management company (found the address on the back of an album) and a while later I got a nice multi page letter from Dave. He thanked me for the gift, said it was cool and he just happened to have the electronics for it (the pickups and controls are all mounted on one rectangular plate that is held to the body with 4 spring loaded screws). The electronic plate he had was RED however. I always hoped I'd see him play it sometime. It would have been instantly recognizable.

Magnificent story from under the radar of the huge'n'high rock'n'roll sky. It connects this Board to Mr. L.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    Actually an incredible gift to receive Here you go, sir - fill in the rest. 

I just sat here on the edge of the bed doing my rendition of “She Took Off My Romeos” on my ‘93 Original Hound Dog. Because nothing says ‘Lindley Quasi-Reggae’ like a round neck reso. 

I think Dave would understand. It doesn’t matter what you play. Ever. As long as you play. 

Mortality sucks. Heroes and dogs should live forever.

I’m tired. I’m sad. I’m going to bed. 

• Like 1

I got to spend some time with David when I spent several weeks on tour with Jackson Browne while writing a Fretboard Journal cover story about Jackson. Three memories of David stand out.

David was always playing. Always. He didn’t even dine with the band so that he could play more. One afternoon just before soundcheck, David was playing an oud. “Want to play it, John?” David asked. I responded that I didn’t even know how the instrument was tuned. “Oh, it’s easy,” said David. These three strings are tuned like [some instrument I’d never heard of] and these three are tuned like [another instrument I’d never heard of].” No thanks, I said, afraid of embarrassing myself.

How I wish I’d taken up David’s offer of a lesson.

Another day, I spent an hour, or so, passing a 1943 Banner Gibson SJ back and forth with David and Jackson. What a thrill. Somewhere, I’ve got a recording of that hour. I’ll search for it.

Finally, on the last night of my hang with David and Jackson, I was walking and talking with Jackson after that night’s show. Jackson and I walked past David’s dressing room. Yep, at nearly midnight, after playing one instrument or another all day and after a 2-hour concert with Jackson and band, David was in his dressing room, still playing. “If you want to be like David,” Jackson said, “that’s what you have to do.”

What a loss.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jt said:

Another day, I spent an hour, or so, passing a 1943 Banner Gibson SJ back and forth with David and Jackson. What a thrill. Somewhere, I’ve got a recording of that hour. I’ll search for it.

Please do ^ thanx for sharing

6 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

Zomb -  thanks for that clip  of  "Carmelita".     His guitar break  was perfection.  Even had Zevon smiling.  A jewel in the crown !   All of  our heroes are passing. 

Yes, a truly masterful performance.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Can you assist ? What kind of deck he talking about - cards, sure, , , but which ones. . 

30 minutes ago, 62burst said:

a more dangerous game with a pearl handle:

Ah ! Thx - so he Warren the poet invents the term ? Merging solitude, solitaire and something suicidal into 1. . .  

Btw. I should be fatally wrong if I didn't hear W.Z. solo on a huge festival here in the late 70s when only knowing him from tiny pics on LP inner sleeves.                                                                                                                              He played a black grand piano on the biggest stage in broad daylight and it didn't really work. Scale-balance between stage and audience wasn't happening. 

18 minutes ago, Salfromchatham said:

This made me choke up. Simply beautiful sentiment. I felt this with Petty Croz and Frey.

Gettin' in Croz in the field makes me launch this one.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Just coincidently re-found it 15 minutes ago > it's a dream. 

But are those lyrics too controversial for a peaceful Monday night - I don't know, , , can't measure or judge it from here. . 

Edited by E-minor7