Gibson Brands Forums

Any serious risk installing a heel strap button in a J-45 Standard?

1929GibsonD-18E

Hi all, I have a 2014 Gibson J-45 Standard that I wish to install a strap button in. Most people online recommend the lower treble position on the heel (position 5 in the attached photo), but I would prefer either position 1 or 2. I had to go open the case to check, but the other acoustic guitar I own (which I have played live for over 1000 shows) has had a strap button in the base of the heel (position 2) this whole time. Sooo many people online have said that the guitar gets 'tippy' in that position, with a tendency to lean forward. All I can say is that it was such a non-issue for me that I literally never even noticed or thought about it in over a decade of weekly live playing. Anyway, so I prefer the heel position, but the J-45 is also my pride and joy and I am definitely more cautious drilling into this than I would be anything else as I love this guitar and don't want to break it.

So the long and the short of it is: I want to place my strap button either in position 1 or 2, but I want to do so with a reasonable level of safety. What would you recommend?

Thanks! 🙂

Strap Button Placement.png

Edited by 1929GibsonD-18E

Yes, as Murph said, but I'd advise you to put a small strip of masking tape on the guitar and make an indentation with a bradawl or other pointed implement where your going to drill just to make sure the drills is not going to skid off on the lacquer.    

As far as risk of damage - depends.  Installers skill, tools and location.  Like Murf suggested - absolutely pre-drill a much smaller ‘pilot hole’.  Measure the length of the screw that came with the button, add an 1/8” for lick, and mark the drill bit so you don’t drill too deep.   As far as “Location, location, location ‘,  each has its fans.  I have an SJ200 with a hole in location  2,. Bought new by a preacher who immediately turned it around for a less ostentatious Martin. I never put on a button, fearing it would become a pressure point when closed up in the case.   I’d go with #5 thinking the strap would lay flatter. Full disclosure - I still use the headstock strap attachment loop with the button you can attach your strap too.  G’Luck.

4 hours ago, 1929GibsonD-18E said:

Hi all, I have a 2014 Gibson J-45 Standard that I wish to install a strap button in. Most people online recommend the lower treble position on the heel (position 5 in the attached photo), but I would prefer either position 1 or 2. I had to go open the case to check, but the other acoustic guitar I own (which I have played live for over 1000 shows) has had a strap button in the base of the heel (position 2) this whole time. Sooo many people online have said that the guitar gets 'tippy' in that position, with a tendency to lean forward. All I can say is that it was such a non-issue for me that I literally never even noticed or thought about it in over a decade of weekly live playing. Anyway, so I prefer the heel position, but the J-45 is also my pride and joy and I am definitely more cautious drilling into this than I would be anything else as I love this guitar and don't want to break it.

So the long and the short of it is: I want to place my strap button either in position 1 or 2, but I want to do so with a reasonable level of safety. What would you recommend?

Thanks! 🙂

Strap Button Placement.png

When I wanted a strap button on my D-28, while I had the skill and tools to do the installation, I lacked the knowledge required.

And so, after prying open my change purse with a crowbar, and extracting the necessary funds, I went to  very reputable Luthiers here in Toronto, who knew exactly where, and how to install it, and let them do it properly and correctly. 

A word to the wise......

RBSinto

I've done a few myself and one the shop I bought from installed on a very expensive Collings guitar.  I did one in position 2 and the guitar did lean forward a lot, but since it was a big jazz box that I played sitting on a stool the tilt could be compensated for.  On all the others I have gone with position 5 and that seems foolproof as far as playing position goes.  All other precautions noted above are good advice re: pilot holes, depth, etc.

My two newest Gibsons came from the factory with buttons installed in position 5.

My dislike of the heel position, for every instance I've used them, is that when I let go with my fretting hand, most guitar pegheads are weighty enough to drop down.  This means that part of your playing freedom of movement can be slowed by the need to partially support the neck.  With the headstock loop, the guitar is equally supported when you let go and doesn't move, allowing optimum agility for fretting.

Yeah, the serious risk is simply that you can screw up.  Having a pro do it makes sense, especially if you have your dad's old Black & Decker with drill bits that haven't been used since '63.

Murph is off his meds again.

Edited by jedzep
  • Haha 1

I don't stand enough nowadays to worry about the strap pins, but if I need one, I have a few. IMHO, the two handiest/most comfortable positions are 3 and 4. I have one of each. I got both of them used and they came that way. The L00 with the 3 position is my favorite. Someone glued an extra block adjacent to the neck block to support it. The other one is a '52 J45

52844201433_e533a78716_n.jpg52843174717_c2e0ca010d_w.jpg52843944684_94583a40b4_n.jpg

7 hours ago, Dave F said:

I don't stand enough nowadays to worry about the strap pins, but if I need one, I have a few. IMHO, the two handiest/most comfortable positions are 3 and 4. I have one of each. I got both of them used and they came that way. The L00 with the 3 position is my favorite. Someone glued an extra block adjacent to the neck block to support it. The other one is a '52 J45

52844201433_e533a78716_n.jpg52843174717_c2e0ca010d_w.jpg52843944684_94583a40b4_n.jpg

Position 4 is looking very natural - does it get in the way while playing?

I've been using position 4 on my acoustics since 1989, if not earlier - I disremember, as it were.  It worked great on my old Guild, I think there was already a strap button fixed there on my '60 LG-2, and I did the one on my '05 J-45.  DO use caution if you do it yourself - mine is maybe a degree or two off perfect parallel with the neck, but I ignore it rather than stare at it and focus on the imperfection.

It hasn't gotten in the way of my playing, nor did it when I was taking advantage of the old Guild's cutaway.

20 hours ago, 1929GibsonD-18E said:

What do you all think of position 4 on a flatter style Gibson heel, rather than position 5? Position 5 seems more suited to a Martin guitar than a Gibson, as Martin has the thinner, pointier neck heel.

I have my Hummingbird at position 4. It hangs level. It doesn't roll in/out, tilt or shift in any ways unless you purposely do it. I'm glad I put mine at 4 because I decided to install Schaller strap locks a few years after the fact. The other positions were not practical for the strap locks. I also have an El Cheapo epiphone that came with the strap button at number 5 and couldn't strap lock it, so I left it in number 5 and installed at number 4 and works perfect.

https://imgur.com/a/p2FzTvq

Edited by the other side
Add photo and txt.

1 hour ago, 1929GibsonD-18E said:

Strange that Gibson themselves seem to never install in position 4, the only examples I could see of factory Gibsons were in position 2 or 5. Have Gibson ever factory installed in position 4?

I'm assuming from the above, the different preferences of people. I don't know when Gibson started putting strap buttons on or if on select models. I never remember seeing Gibson installing strap buttons on any model when I was shopping for a new guitar 2012/2013. I'm glad mine did not come with one on it! I didn't decide to put a strap button on until around 2021 and I bought my Bird new in 2013. I don't wonder anymore why, how or when Gibson do things like that. It's like bridge pins, saddles and strings. I am aware of some people who get a new guitar, automatically gets a different case for theirs and some locations of strap buttons or end pin jack accessory interfere with the case and will not work without modifying one or both, case and guitar.

On 4/24/2023 at 5:27 AM, Murph said:

I prefer 5.

Pre drill with a smaller bit.

It's possible to hit the truss rod so think before you drill.

#5 is the preferred way to do it these days.. I did my 2020 Gibson Bozeman Masterbilt J-160E this way when it was new.. No problems.. The most comfortable for your Guitar strap & no neck dive.. 

I recently had my Luthier do #5 on my 1975 Martin D-35 & no more neck dive! Should’ve done it years ago….

I had mine done by someone who knows what they’re doing.. I didn’t want to take any chances… Both are perfect..

Edited by Larsongs

I've been screwing things into guitars since I was a little kid.

We used to trade pickups like baseball cards.

The only thing I've never messed with is frets. When they needed frets I'd swap em' off.

My J-45 will go to Gruhns when it's ready.

Or a neck reset, that'll go to George as well.