Gibson Brands Forums

Factory Oddity or Fake?

TROGDOR

I was pleased to recently come into a Les Paul Studio 2021 after only owning Epiphone and always wanting the real deal in the Sweetwater exclusive of Cherry burst.

However, I noticed after getting it home that the neck is maple which should not be.

I have contacted the store who is a Gibson authorized dealer (but not sweetwater) and they advised me that they sold the guitar new in 2021 to a customer and that same customer traded it in in 2023 and then I bought it. They say it was new from Gibson and they say it’s a TRIBUTE.

I called the Gibson support number and spoke to a charming gentlemen there who confirmed the serial number is for a tribute.

Here’s my confusion and where I’ll ask for help:

The guitar has Grover tuners like a Studio and no holes for the vintage tuners which would have been on a tribute nor any signs of filling.

It’s got the PCB and pull pots from the Studio and does in fact do coil tapping.

It’s got the bridge pickup from the studio rather than the tribute and is also dated 2021.

It’s got black pick guard, pickup rings, speed knobs, switch, and a studio truss rod cover.

The cavity plates on the back are gloss as on the studio rather than matte and textured as on the Tribute.

The jack plate is Chrome rather than cream.

I believe the neck is slim taper, although it is clearly maple.

All hardware appears to be chrome rather than nickel plated which is what you would expect on a Studio.

The finish is definitely not matte. It’s as glossy as can be. I feel like if anyone tried to polish the nitro on a tribute to this degree, it would have burned through. Even the neck is high gloss.

So what’s happened here? Is this is a fake guitar? Did the previous owner make dozens of changes to turn a tribute into a studio and somehow make it so the vintage tuners of the tribute magically never made any holes?

Is it possible that Gibson made a Studio in error with a maple neck and sent it on as a Tribute?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

https://ibb.co/LNNn1L7
https://ibb.co/NybK9rM
https://ibb.co/cXHnHDp
https://ibb.co/vxmgTZv
https://ibb.co/cCTXb0t
https://ibb.co/vdFxJN7
https://ibb.co/q9JM8Gz
https://ibb.co/gmBn1WD
https://ibb.co/FY4HmW5

Edited by TROGDOR

That certainly is a beautiful Les Paul, I love the color! I may be wrong, but I am certain that this is a Studio. It may be a Sweetwater Exclusive or some other large music store, that's why you're not seeing it as part of the Gibson line-up. Congratulations on the purchase, I think you got a winner!  

Edit: There should be some writing under the neck pickup, this may tell you if it truly is a Studio or a Tribute. This guitar is much nicer that a Tribute, that's for sure.

Edited by Big Bill

The issue is that both the retailer who sold it new to a different customer and then to me once traded back in by that same customer say it's a tribute and Gibson themselves say it's a tribute when I called and gave them the serial number. The Gibson rep didn't seem to want to entertain the idea it might be a fake by saying no one fakes Studios. He also wouldn't entertain the idea that the factory made an error and said someone probably replaced every single piece of hardware on it and somehow buffed up the tribute's satin thin finish into this high gloss. While I admire his confidence in his factory, I just don't share it. I'm sure that you'd burn through the thin nitro on a tribute before achieving this result.

As for a number under the neck pickup: It's been painted with the top part of the burst. Whatever may have been written in that cavity at some point is now painted over.

I'm not really sure what that video from L&M is meant to convey, although it does highlight their continued cluelessness. He says that the Studio has coil splitting and turns into a single coil. That's completely false. It has coil tapping and stays a humbucker. Very typical for L&M. Why - they're the type of retailer to sell as a Studio as a tribute (twice) and to give the case for a different tribute with a different serial # and not even bat an eye! 😉

Edited by TROGDOR

Actually I DO like the guitar but I'm concerned that something is amiss. The retailer swears it's a Tribute. Gibson swears it's a tribute. I just want to be sure that it's not either Fake or a Tribute that has been modified into a studio. Obviously that would be cause for concern. It does have a maple neck just like a tribute would so that's also a red flag.

If it is indeed a real Gibson studio which somehow got a maple neck put on and entered into their system as a tribute then I think Gibson still has to work on their quality control. In any event, I'd be happy with that and keep it! I just want to be sure it left the factory this way and isn't modified or fake.

Edited by TROGDOR

13 hours ago, TROGDOR said:

Actually I DO like the guitar but I'm concerned that something is amiss. The retailer swears it's a Tribute. Gibson swears it's a tribute. I just want to be sure that it's not either Fake or a Tribute that has been modified into a studio. Obviously that would be cause for concern. It does have a maple neck just like a tribute would so that's also a red flag.

If it is indeed a real Gibson studio which somehow got a maple neck put on and entered into their system as a tribute then I think Gibson still has to work on their quality control. In any event, I'd be happy with that and keep it! I just want to be sure it left the factory this way and isn't modified or fake.

I think your second paragraph nailed it. 

Edited by Ceptorman

@TROGDOR if you actually watched the L&M video you will see that the Tribute (aka model below a studio) has a maple neck 

such as you’re currently complaining about that yours has one and claiming fake, 

that was my point

there are enough arguments about coil tapping vs coil splitting that it’s basically “splitting hairs “ on the function 

L&M is the retail outlet to Yorkville Sound the importer of all Gibson’s into Canada 

they’re not “sweet water”, GC , Music123, and will rent you a $4800 Gibson Les Paul or J45 for a mere $140 for a month

you can’t get that from any USA based retailer 

I think your best bet is to return the guitar you currently have in your hand

I'm aware that the tribute has a maple neck and stated so. That is my concern: that it might be a heavily modified Tribute rather than a Studio. However, the neck is slim taper where the tribute has a fat D.

I heard back from the retailer today. It seems they gave me the wrong bag with this guitar and have found the correct one. I'll swing by this weekend and do the exchange. They say the correct documentation is in that bag including the baby photo of how it left the factory. I'll be very interested to see that! Honestly, the guitar is great - there's just a concern over whether it's been modified extensively and is actually a studio or a modified Tribute. Gibson says it's a tribute and so does the retailer. The COA and baby photo will tell the story.

I'll report back when I receive those sometime this weekend.

[quote]

there are enough arguments about coil tapping vs coil splitting that it’s basically “splitting hairs “ on the function [/quote]

He says in the video that it splits it into a single coil which is false. (true of an epiphone I believe). It remains a humbucker, just tapped off with fewer winds for a more vintage sound. Both coils are still active and are not split. Tapping vs splitting is not "splitting hairs.". They are two completely different things; unless you think humbucker vs single coils is splitting hairs 😉

Edited by TROGDOR

Update:

I've got the original bag and documents. So...if I'm to understand this correctly, Gibson built a Cherry burst Studio in 2021 before they made that color for Sweetwater and they built it with a maple neck...

And then the quality control guy wrote down the model # for a Les Paul Tribute and said "Yep - that's definitely what this is!" and shipped it? 

That's fun! Well, I'm glad to have an extremely unique guitar. I love it!

Welcome to the new Gibson, same as the old Gibson.

headscratcher.jpg

Edited by TROGDOR
  • Like 2

On 5/12/2023 at 11:42 AM, TROGDOR said:

he correct one. I'll swing by this weekend and do the exchange. They say the correct documentation is in that bag including the baby photo of how it left the factory. I'll be ve

All of the current production ones, do. I don't believe any of the current production studios do but could be wrong. This studio does, oddly.