Gibson Brands Forums

Spam this morning

ksdaddy

On 5/12/2023 at 10:25 AM, Karloff said:

it used to be like that here I thought. years back ...

Yes it was that way, When I joined, I had to post only on the welcome sight for a week but could read only on the lounges. Maybe it should go back to that?

On 5/12/2023 at 6:07 PM, tx-ogre said:

Damn.  I thought this thread would be about different ways to enjoy Spam for breakfast.  Disappointing.  😁

You want my oldest sisters phone number, She can help you with that, Lol.

On 5/13/2023 at 6:01 AM, sparquelito said:

Last year, when I was still working out on the Army airfield, I was fond of cooking breakfast for myself after a good cardio swim.

My young friends in Operations would benefit, of course.
I would always make more than enough, and I would share with them.

One time I made a nice stir fry using some sauteed onions and peppers, mushrooms, white rice, Turkey Spam, egg, and shredded cheddar.
Just the best stuff ever.

I ate, the fellows ate, and all was good.

I still had quite a bit of stir-fry leftover in the skillet when one of our female engineers came by on her way to her test aircraft, and we issued her a headset.

"Wow. Something smells good in here. What did you guys cook?"

"Ah, some healthy stir fry. There's some leftover, do you want to finish it?"

"I don't know. Lemme see it."

Our engineer was a healthy and fit person, and picky about what went into her body.
She followed one of our young fellows back to the galley, and apparently liked what she saw.
She happily consumed a nice bowl of the stir fry, by all accounts, and departed for her mission.

Later on while doing dishes, the young feller asked me, "Hey, Sparky. What's tofu?  Did you fry up something called tofu into that breakfast skillet?"

"Tofu? It's like congealed bean curd or soy product, I think. Vegans eat it. No, I didn't use any tofu in that recipe."

"Well, that engineer was real happy that you cooked tofu into the breakfast. She tore it up, man!"

I scratched my head.
And then I pondered the fact that Turkey Spam is a pale, off-white colour, and looks nothing like the usual Spam.
I laughed.

"She thought the Turkey Spam was tofu. Oh well. She liked it, and ate it happily."

"Are you gonna tell her she ate Spam after she lands later on?"

"Heck no. Beggars can't be choosers."

He grinned.  "Yeah, I guess you're right."

Good times.

😗

My first job after graduation from High School was working at Cambels Soup. In the kitchen, we made rations for the Vietnam war. I still remember the big oven catching on fire a few times a day. Man it was Hot working in there.  30 people quit on one day. Smoke filled and no one could leave work. That place was a nightmare.

17 hours ago, Murph said:

Pig Latin...

Hilarious you mentioned that.  Way back we took care of my sons dog when he joined the Navy.  Smartest dog I've  ever seen. He had tons of toys and they all had names. He knew them all. You could say, "get your pig" and he would grab just that one. He could get them out of his toy box and put them back in the box.  He could find us no matter where we hid and even trying to throw him off didn't work. He knew lots of word and sentences.  We would skip certain words to throw him off but he still knew. Eventually, we had to go to pig latin to confuse him, He would tilt his head and perk his ears up as to say, What! I taught him tons of tricks very fast like in less than 5 minutes. He was a Walker Treeing Hound. He chased many hundreds of squirrels up the back tree in our yard. And  just bark at them with his front paws on the tree.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Retired said:

Hilarious you mentioned that.  Way back we took care of my sons dog when he joined the Navy.  Smartest dog I've  ever seen. He had tons of toys and they all had names. He knew them all. You could say, "get your pig" and he would grab just that one. He could get them out of his toy box and put them back in the box.  He could find us no matter where we hid and even trying to throw him off didn't work. He knew lots of word and sentences.  We would skip certain words to throw him off but he still knew. Eventually, we had to go to pig latin to confuse him, He would tilt his head and perk his ears up as to say, What! I taught him tons of tricks very fast like in less than 5 minutes. He was a Walker Treeing Hound. He chased many hundreds of squirrels up the back tree in our yard. And  just bark at them with his front paws on the tree.

That's pretty good.  Most dogs just chew their toys to shreds and leave the debris all over the house.  Tell them to go get something and they ignore you like a cat would.  [wink]  But sure, dogs can learn to associate the sounds with a particular object or function.  Like we'd ask our dogs, "want to go outside?" and they'd head for the back door.  It was the "outside" they recognized.  Running water in the kitchen would get associated with feeding time.  Often, when I'd run water in the kitchen to fill a coffee pot or just a pot to maybe boil some noodles I'd notice them sitting just at the kitchen door, staring at me, thinking I'm getting ready to feed them.  [biggrin]

At both this house and the house we lived in before, we'd often get rabbits in the backyard.  Megan would chase after them barking like a maniac, but could never get close to catching them.  And those buggers would seemingly disappear into thin air! She'd stand at the spot where she last saw them and continue barking for a while.

Whitefang

On 5/12/2023 at 1:51 PM, Pinch said:

I think I remember the 15 post rule... 

It's disheartening to think spam attacks still exist, because that means they apparently still work. 

Sadly, everyone hasn't learned to ignore them.

If they send out a million and get two suckers, they profit. And they obviously get a lot more than that.

Thankfully, there is a scroll wheel on my mouse.

Thanks again to KS and the other moderators who have to spend their time nuking them.

Notes ♫

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Whitefang said:

That's pretty good.  Most dogs just chew their toys to shreds and leave the debris all over the house.  Tell them to go get something and they ignore you like a cat would.  [wink]  But sure, dogs can learn to associate the sounds with a particular object or function.  Like we'd ask our dogs, "want to go outside?" and they'd head for the back door.  It was the "outside" they recognized.  Running water in the kitchen would get associated with feeding time.  Often, when I'd run water in the kitchen to fill a coffee pot or just a pot to maybe boil some noodles I'd notice them sitting just at the kitchen door, staring at me, thinking I'm getting ready to feed them.  [biggrin]

At both this house and the house we lived in before, we'd often get rabbits in the backyard.  Megan would chase after them barking like a maniac, but could never get close to catching them.  And those buggers would seemingly disappear into thin air! She'd stand at the spot where she last saw them and continue barking for a while.

Whitefang

Lol, That's funny. That's what we thought also so we would say "Want TO." or "GO"  or "FOR A".  He got excited ever how we said it.  "GO TO WANT"  Pig Latin was the only thing that confused him. Yeah, he took very good care of his toys.

• Like 2

Yeah, the sound association thing---

Like the running water with my dogs, there once was a product that was ice cream formulated for consumption by dogs only.  As regular ice cream isn't recommended for dogs or other pets.  My sister used to get it for the dog she had at the time, but she'd soften it up for him by putting it in the microwave for 20 or so seconds.  So whenever he heard the microwave running he'd come running for his ice cream.  After about a year either that company quit making it, or the pet shop she got it from quit selling it, but she couldn't find it anywhere.  And sadly, anytime she'd use her microwave for reheating a cup of coffee or heating up anything else the dog would run into the kitchen expecting some ice cream.  Kinda made her sad.  [sad]

Whitefang

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Yeah, the sound association thing---

Like the running water with my dogs, there once was a product that was ice cream formulated for consumption by dogs only.  As regular ice cream isn't recommended for dogs or other pets.  My sister used to get it for the dog she had at the time, but she'd soften it up for him by putting it in the microwave for 20 or so seconds.  So whenever he heard the microwave running he'd come running for his ice cream.  After about a year either that company quit making it, or the pet shop she got it from quit selling it, but she couldn't find it anywhere.  And sadly, anytime she'd use her microwave for reheating a cup of coffee or heating up anything else the dog would run into the kitchen expecting some ice cream.  Kinda made her sad.  [sad]

Whitefang

You are correct on that. I made a mistake. I let Oliver have a taste of popcorn. Om my God, Now he goes nuts every time I get the popcorn box out to pop a bag.  Never seen a dog that doesn't go ape over popcorn.  Don't know if they should or shouldn't have any? 

On 5/15/2023 at 10:19 AM, MissouriPicker said:

If any of you get an email from me about canned meat, don’t open the attachment!  It’s SPAM!

The wife and I get spam a lot on our cell phones. We constantly delete that stuff. I never even look at it.

13 hours ago, Retired said:

The wife and I get spam a lot on our cell phones. We constantly delete that stuff. I never even look at it.

Wow.  For FREE?   People have paid good money to see that!

Spamalot.jpg

🤪

Whitefang

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Wow.  For FREE?   People have paid good money to see that!

Spamalot.jpg

🤪

Whitefang

Haha, Like Maxwell Smart said;  "Would you believe?"  I have never seen that movie. Never watched Monty Python's movies. 

18 hours ago, Retired said:

Haha, Like Maxwell Smart said;  "Would you believe?"  I have never seen that movie. Never watched Monty Python's movies. 

P

Back in 70's my sister lived with me..... she got me watching Monty Python's Flying Circus on PBS.....takes awhile to catch their 'groove'....but once you do......If you've never watched Monty Python And The Holy Grail, I highly recommend it.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

P

Back in 70's my sister lived with me..... she got me watching Monty Python's Flying Circus on PBS.....takes awhile to catch their 'groove'....but once you do......If you've never watched Monty Python And The Holy Grail, I highly recommend it.

Still remember my old best friend and I watched the 1st Star Wars film, Didn't impress me at all.  Never saw it again but he was so impressed that he went to the theater and saw it 8 more times. 

1 minute ago, DanvillRob said:

Funny!

As a toddler, I used to have dreams of flying.  Peter Pan must have impressed me or superman?  As a small kid I climbed up the tallest trees I could find. I envisioned Flying  I guess but wanted to see where the birds were. I fell out of 3 trees. Probably should have died falling out of two of them but one, I caught a branch on the way down. 

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Retired said:

As a toddler, I used to have dreams of flying.  Peter Pan must have impressed me or superman?  As a small kid I climbed up the tallest trees I could find. I envisioned Flying  I guess but wanted to see where the birds were. I fell out of 3 trees. Probably should have died falling out of two of them but one, I caught a branch on the way down. 

Ouch.

My best friend when I was a kid, his Dad had this huge roll of brown paper in the basement(the same kind used for those "plain brown wrappers" some would get things in the mail?  [wink])

His older brother one day made a huge paper airplane out of it.  He climbed onto the roof of his house to "fly" it.  We thought he was gonna just throw it to see how far it would go, but his running start down the slope of the roof was intended as a good start for him to leap off the roof tightly grasping onto the paper plane and do what we today might call an early attempt to "hang glide".

It didn't work of course, and he hit the ground really hard.  Wound up breaking his arm in a couple places.  His Dad came out to find out what was going on and when we told him I've never seen him so pissed!  Stated yelling at my buddy's brother, "You dumb-azz kid!  I oughta make you CRAWL your dumb azz to the hospital!"  Of course he didn't.  He wore that cast until near Thanksgiving(the incident happened in August that year).  That guy was always some kind of daredevil.  😄

Whitefang

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

9 hours ago, Whitefang said:

Ouch.

My best friend when I was a kid, his Dad had this huge roll of brown paper in the basement(the same kind used for those "plain brown wrappers" some would get things in the mail?  [wink])

His older brother one day made a huge paper airplane out of it.  He climbed onto the roof of his house to "fly" it.  We thought he was gonna just throw it to see how far it would go, but his running start down the slope of the roof was intended as a good start for him to leap off the roof tightly grasping onto the paper plane and do what we today might call an early attempt to "hang glide".

It didn't work of course, and he hit the ground really hard.  Wound up breaking his arm in a couple places.  His Dad came out to find out what was going on and when we told him I've never seen him so pissed!  Stated yelling at my buddy's brother, "You dumb-azz kid!  I oughta make you CRAWL your dumb azz to the hospital!"  Of course he didn't.  He wore that cast until near Thanksgiving(the incident happened in August that year).  That guy was always some kind of daredevil.  😄

Whitefang

Thats probably what I was Lol. DAK.  Always getting into trouble or hurt.  A bunch of us were jumping off a abandon garage once. There was an old spring bed mattress and two horse shoe stacks on each end.  The one who could jump off the roof, and miss both the stakes and mattress was the winner. All of us did missed it, but once I came awful close to hitting that 2nd stake. We quit after that.  No clue where our parents were back then. 

• Haha 1