Gibson Brands Forums

Spam this morning

ksdaddy

1 hour ago, ksdaddy said:

I’ve nuked about 25 “new” members that have posted spam this morning. I expect there will be more. I will nuke them as I see my chance to get back into the forum (i.e.  not driving, etc).

I don't envy your job......

38 minutes ago, 10PoundLester said:

Some forums make new users wait a period of time before they can post. These "Quickbooks" spams are probably made by someone who just signed up or maybe even a "bot".

it used to be like that here I thought. years back ...

• Like 2

It's really out of control here now. Looks like the moderators need to deputize some of us users to help. Step one is to make every new account be verified via a two-step process (Captcha + email verification) as well as have them in a waiting room so to speak before they can post. Or alternatively have their first 5 or 10 posts be moderated and approved before they can post on their own. These things work. I started one of the first acoustic guitar forums on the web back in the 90's and we had these very same problems. As it got more and more popular it became a huge spam magnet. These steps I mention help a lot.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, ksdaddy said:

It was. Until they changed it. I voiced my objection. It was ignored. 

yea, wasn't it you had to make 15 posts in other sections of the forum before you could post in the lounge. or something like that. 

13 minutes ago, Karloff said:

yea, wasn't it you had to make 15 posts in other sections of the forum before you could post in the lounge. or something like that. 

Yeah, something like that. But in order to be a member in the first place, a mod or admin had to approve it. I weeded out hundreds before they ever got in the building. Past tense. 

• Like 1