Gibson Brands Forums

What new music did you get?

SteveFord

Ordered The Baby's - Silver Dreams : The Complete Albums  1975 - 1980.  I really just wanted the album Head First, but buying all their stuff in the set was only $10 more. Once Johnathan Cain arrived on the scene they were pretty much done. Union Jacks was okay, but the one after was terrible.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

I saw over at the "Let's talk Guild" site that "Black Sabbath for Ukelele" is available on Amazon. 

But I'm saving up to buy the book that my music teacher got himself last week:

"Yiddish Klezmer music for Banjo".

Oy!

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

9 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

I saw over at the "Let's talk Guild" site that Black Sabbath for Ukelele" is available on Amazon. 

But I'm saving up to buy the book that my music teacher got himself last week:

"Yiddish Klezmer music for Banjo".

Oy!

RBSinTo

Does it have such SB classics like:

Iron Uke

Fairies Play Ukes

War Ukes

Heaven And Ukes

16 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Does it have such SB classics like:

Iron Uke

Fairies Play Ukes

War Ukes

Heaven And Ukes

Chief,

Haven't a clue, and no interest in finding out.

In my two binders of music, there are less than one songs by Black Sabbath.

I am surprised though, that you didn't list a few of you Klezmer favorites and ask if they're in the book my teacher got.

RBSinTo

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/11/2023 at 4:10 PM, E-minor7 said:

A CD recommended by a co-player :

The Hazards of Love by The Decemberists. A darn fine shot at updated yet traditionalistic dramatic folk-rock anno 2009.

I have 3 Decemberist LP's.  I'll Be Your Girl, What A Terrible World - What A Beautiful World, and Castaways And Cutouts.

A couple of weeks ago, in typical fashion, I heard a song on the radio while driving to my music class, and asked my teacher about the score and the strumming which is interesting and unusual. We gave it a listen and started working on it, and today he inserted a corrected score  with the strumming pattern shown into my music file for me to work on.

The song?

"Out in the country" by Three Dog Night.

RBSinTo

• 3 weeks later...

Once again I heard a song on the radio that I hadn't heard in a number of years while driving to my music lesson, and mentioned it to my teacher. 

We listened to it on his computer, and very quickly he was noodling the chords and melody and describing some of the nuiances of the melody and how they played off against the lyrics. We spent about half the lesson fooling with it before we switched back to "Out in the Country".

When he finishes scoring my latest musical "find" we will undoubtedly give it serious attention.

The song? "Remeniscing" by The  Little River Band.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

• 3 weeks later...

We gig for a living, and did 23 in December. Usually we just go home afterward, pull the instruments/PA in the house and relax.

New Year's day we did a gig in the late afternoon for about 30 French Canadians who winter here in Florida. We know a couple of them, because they come out to see us at our commercial gigs often. Very few of them speak English, but the one who comes to see us the most does, and she and her husband acted as interpreters.

The gig went an hour overtime, and when it was done they invited us for a traditional Quebec New Year's Day dinner.

The meat was moose, rabbit, deer, wild pig and other game baked in dough with potatoes. Plenty of wine was poured, salads and deserts were offered, and we sat around a big table with them and had a great time.

The meal is supposed to give us good luck in 2024. By taking this gig, we already had good luck.

Then we drove home, moved the gear in the house, sat down and relaxed a bit, showered and went to bed.

Today (Tuesday) is our only day off this week. When a musician is gigging, life is good.

Notes ♫

• Like 1

Between cash presents and vouchers this year, I had a big vinyl blowout on the 27th.

The Cult -Electric

The Cult - Under The Midnight Sun

Simple Minds - New Gold Dream Live at Paisley Abbey

Michael Kiwanuka - Love and Hate

R.E.M. - Collapse Into Now

Roxy Music - Flesh and Blood

INXS - Welcome to Wherever You Are

Twas' a great day! 🙂

Yesterday I got:

Boxer - Below The Belt (remember that album cover with the girl on it, and a boxing glove covering her ladybits?

Audience - The House On The Hill

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, SteveFord said:

Mose Allison - Autumn Song (cd)

The Kinks - Kronikles, The Journey parts 1 and 2 (vinyl)

I have Part 1. I need to get Part 2. Plus I have every regular Kinks album from Face To Face up to Word Of Mouth. The stuff before Face is most poo except for the big hits.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

• 4 weeks later...