Gibson Brands Forums

ES 335 Epiphone vs. Gibson

Sheepdog1969

After visiting the Gibson factory in Memphis a few years ago, I have had a longing for an ES 335. The only thing slowing me down was the price tag associated with the Gibson. However, a few days ago I read an article about the Epiphone ES 335 being a great value, and how it produces tones on par with the Gibson version. Being an old "Gibson guy", I found that hard to believe. New Epiphone ES 335's, (vintage sunburst specifically), list at $599.00 @ Sweetwater, Guitar Center, etc., and that price is very affordable. Can anyone let me know, from personal experience, if I should invest in the Epiphone ES 335? The nearest Guitar Center is just under an hour away, and I won't waste a trip to "try out" the Epiphone if it is not comparable to the Gibson.   Let me know.

7 hours ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Can anyone let me know, from personal experience, if I should invest in the Epiphone ES 335? 

Neither would be an investment. Just tools.

The Epi would be more tool than the Gibson, meaning the Gibson will be worth more if the Gov keeps printing money like the drunken soldiers they appear to be. But that is not a case of the Gibson going up in value, just the dollar going down in value.

Many people gig with Epiphones.

The Gibson will support American workers.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Murph said:

Neither would be an investment. Just tools.

The Epi would be more tool than the Gibson, meaning the Gibson will be worth more if the Gov keeps printing money like the drunken soldiers they appear to be. But that is not a case of the Gibson going up in value, just the dollar going down in value.

Many people gig with Epiphones.

The Gibson will support American workers.

I said, "investment", but I wasn't referring to the potential increase in value. Poor choice of words by me. What I meant was, "Would the Epi be a quality "tool"/instrument for me to buy and enjoy playing, without sacrificing noticeable tone/quality superiority of the Gibson?" Oh, and thanks for reminding me about sticking it to the American workers with an Epi purchase vs. the Gibson. That made my gut sink a bit. I just wanted to know if the article about the EPI ES 335's were true or a marketing ploy. 

I bought my daughter an Epi acoustic years ago and it's a phenomenal guitar for $ 500 (back then).

EJ200Ce.

I would gig with it tonight.

I know a guy who gigged Nashville with an Epi Les Paul for years, up until his death. NOBODY ever made fun of his guitar....

• Thanks 1

I recently purchased a Epiphone ES-335 and love it! I swapped out the pups with SD Pearly Gates. I cannot compare it to the Gibson as I never played one. However, I do have an ES-339, but it's like comparing apples ato oranges IMHO.  I highly recommend checking out the Epi 335. 

• Thanks 1

I’ve owned a few & own a Gibson ES-335 & all were & are great! I’ve also played & owned Epi 335’s.. The best one  I played was called a Pro. Back then it was $499.00 before Covid.. It was an excellent Guitar.. Looked, played & sounded great! Well worth the money.. Even the Pickups sounded good.

It’s not a Gibson but it’s a very good Guitar especially for playing Bar Gigs…

Edited by Larsongs
  • Thanks 1

Honestly, I can afford either guitar. I'm just trying to cost justify the massive price differential, especially if the Epi's tone, action/playability, and component quality are practically identical. As a single Dad, I haven't been in a band for almost 18 years, and I am not sure if I will ever do much more than "sit in" for a song or 2 in the future. Playing at home with friends, or alone, is where I am at now. I already have 2 high end Gibsons, and a varied assortment of other mid level guitars and gear, so this is more of a "want" than a "need".  Sadly, even my "coolest" Gibson can't make me cool, lol.

12 minutes ago, Sheepdog1969 said:

Honestly, I can afford either guitar. I'm just trying to cost justify the massive price differential, especially if the Epi's tone, action/playability, and component quality are practically identical. As a single Dad, I haven't been in a band for almost 18 years, and I am not sure if I will ever do much more than "sit in" for a song or 2 in the future. Playing at home with friends, or alone, is where I am at now. I already have 2 high end Gibsons, and a varied assortment of other mid level guitars and gear, so this is more of a "want" than a "need".  Sadly, even my "coolest" Gibson can't make me cool, lol.

If you have to justify Gibson's prices they may not be the brand for you. Their prices are not going anywhere but up and an always have and always will. Everyone is raising prices on guitars not just Gibson. How many people have said to themselves, "man if I only bought that new '59 LP Standard back then when they were $________, I could sell it for $_______".

There's lots of used 335's out there, you could get the real thing and not break the bank.

Plus you give an older guitar a 2nd lease on life.

And driving an hour to try out a guitar doesn't seem to be a tremendous chore if you wanted to try the Epi. Make a day of it, maybe it'll make your decision easier.

• Thanks 1

IMO, if you’re a decent Guitarist you can make anything sound good.. 

My brothers Ex wife through one of his expensive Guitars in their Pool after a fight.. The next day he found it in the Pool. The Guitar was water logged.. The neck warped & who knows what else..

At a Recording Session the story came up. My brother asked the Session Lead Guitarist if it could be adjusted.. He looked at it, tuned it up, dialed in the tone, recorded a 1st Take lead solo to the song, that we kept, we were recording that sounded great.. Afterward he said, it would cost more than the Guitar was worth.. Junk it & get another Guitar… 

Bottom line, you don’t need a Gibson, Martin, Guild, Gretsch, Collings or any high end Guitar to sound good.. A crappy Player can make all the Guitars I just mentioned sound lousy!

In some cases I prefer taking an Epi as opposed to one of my Gibson’s depending on what & where I’m playing.. 

You need to go play one & see if it’s good enough for you.. Or order one from someplace like Sweetwater who offers a no hassle 45 day Return Policy.. If you get the Epi 335 Pro model, or whatever it’s called now, I doubt you’ll be disappointed.. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In 2020 Gibson introduced a new version of the Epiphone ES’s in the “Inspired By Gibson” line using specs that were closer to the Gibson models and introduced the new Epiphone headstock. Gibson uses a 3 ply maple/poplar/maple construction, Epiphone uses a 5 ply maple construction that makes the Epiphone ES’s slightly heavier. My slightly modified 2020 ES 339 below is a joy to play. It is direct wired with CTS pots and switches and has a poly finish.6YN5Q7o.jpg

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, duane v said:

The hell it cant..... Every time I loop a Gibby over my shoulder, I feel like coolest old bastard in SoCal. 😄

Damn straight! 

Once I got a Gibson Les Paul, I instantly became five times cooler. 

I actually truly believe that, which is good because I can't imagine anyone else believing it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

Its worth playing both. 

If you didn't and then bought one or the other, you might eventually wonder whether you made the best choice. 

You should always try out as many as you can..  IMO,  you need both.. Although, sometimes we can't for many reasons. You can buy Online from a reputable Company like Sweetwater, or others, & try them for up to 45 days.. If you don't like it Return or Exchange.. No Charge No Hassle..

You could start with the Epi. The new Epi "Inspired by Gibson" 335's look & sound great.. It is Epi's upgraded version.. I imagine they're a new version of the old Pro Models from a few years ago.. I think you'll love it.. You may find it's all you need or not like it at all in which case Return it..

If you end up liking it, save up your Dough.. Then get a Gibson ES 335..

After I got my recent ES335 I sold my Epi 335 Pro & regret it.. I may get one of the new "Inspired by Gibson" 335's as a back up... Have to go try one out!!!

Good luck!

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If you are familiar with both there are a lot of differences which may or may not be important to you. 

With Epi the finish is a different material which looks and feels different than Gibson. Michmac lives in a tropical environment and he prefers the Epi finish because it is more resilient to his environment 

Epi has had a tendency to cheap out on electronics in the past, although they’re getting better about it now. With Gibson you know you’re getting CTS pots and Switchcraft etc. On a 335 type that’s more of a big deal because it isn’t easy to swap the electronics 

The Epiphone hardware is generally inferior especially regarding gold plating. Gold plating on Gibson hardware will last much much longer than Epi

Epi will tend to use cheaper woods and more veneers etc. This isn’t to say the cheaper wood is bad or anything and of course I understand that with a 335 it’s made out of thin layers of laminated wood anyways. Point is the raw materials of an Epi are less expensive and Epi employs some trickery to maintain that lower price point. 

this one is more subjective but I’ve played a whole lot of Epis where the neck is sortof a rectangular plank with a roundover on it. Very flat on the back, obtrusive “shoulders”, and just generally not a very inspiring or impressive piece of work. I certainly don’t love the neck on every Gibson I pick up, but Gibson necks are much more to my liking than Epiphone generally speaking. 

You might pick up an Epiphone and love the neck. I have played ones that I liked. Just saying in general Epi tends to go for a bit of a flat backed D shaped neck profile which is not my favorite 

All things considered Epiphone makes some great guitars and Gibson occasionally makes some not so great guitars. In general the Gibson is a nicer guitar but the Epiphone is so much cheaper the diminishing returns won’t be worth the price difference for many players 

Personally if I were looking at buying an Epiphone semi hollow I would get an Ibanez Artcore instead. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

FYI Epiphone doesn’t normally put a veneer on ES’s because they are made from 5 ply maple which has a finish surface.

I currently don’t have any Gibsons without the Epiphone brand on them, Nitro finishes melt here, Poly is the only way to go, like a lot of Fenders that dominate the Islands.

Also Epiphone is moving away from veneer on their solid bodies like on my SG Classic below, which is 2 pieces of some kind of mahogany.

LlhnGe7.jpg

I presently have 8 Epiphones, 3 LP’s, 2 SG’s, 1 Blueshawk, 1 Wilshire and a 339. All of them are performing very well.  I have a few other brands too. My main requirement is all of the frets must be very playable or I get rid of the guitar. So what I have is a collection of very high performers.

Edited by mihcmac
  • Like 2

I feel like you misinterpreted my post. Of course on a figured maple Epi 335 you are looking at veneer. Epi openly claims this on their own website. 

there is no reason to suggest Epi are moving away from veneers. On their LPs with figured tops, it’s a maple veneer over a maple cap. On their version of the SG standard, it’s a Sapelle or similar veneer over a mystery wood. 

On the SG you referenced, it is sold at a lower price point than the standard version. Part of the way the lower price point was achieved was by forgoing the Sapelle veneer and just showing the mystery wood 

when I describe the aspects of Epiphone which are not as nice as Gibson try not to get defensive. I’m not insulting Epiphone, I’m describing things in a realistic way such as to not be misleading 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

I did a couple houses in Hawaii with cabinets finished in nitro lacquer and they’re all holding up beautifully but I don’t doubt that mihcmac has had some real problems with humidity. 

Saying that it melted seems to imply some chemical reaction or something since nitro lacquer is obviously not water soluble. The wood could expand and warp causing finish to crack and flake off. I wouldn’t call that melting. 

The biggest problem is probably oxidization of metal parts like frets. And of course oxidization in your pickups, pots, and switches is no bueno. Epi would suffer that as bad as anything but I don’t really know the full story on michmac’s Gibsons. I don’t doubt his guitars got ruined but the details seem slightly odd. 

there are several common products which will cause nitro lacquer to “melt” or otherwise react such as bug repellent