Gibson Brands Forums

HP Sauce

sparquelito

30 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

I don't identify as a Southerner either.  But I mentioned sausage gravy, didn't I? 

I didn't realize this was the "give foreigners half a$$ed information" thread.  [wink]

Whitefang

Foreigners does not sound like a term of endearment.

On 7/31/2023 at 9:26 AM, Whitefang said:

I was referring to what I put on fries.  So do you try different BBQ sauces on your fries, or were you changing the subject?  [wink]

Whitefang

I don't do fries much anymore.  Used to do ketchup on them, Yes BBQ sauce is good on fries. I just dip the tips. 

• Like 1

I was born on an Army base in Alabama, and spent many pivotal and important years of my life all across the State of Alabama, but I can hardly lay claim to being a Southerner.

* I was an Army Brat, and traveled all over the globe

* I never hung around long enough to acquire a Southern accent of any sort

That said, I do love grits.
And white sausage gravy over biscuits.

But when it comes to the stereotypical attributes that we assign to Southerners, I sadly come up short.

* I have never had sex with my cousin

* I never once burned a cross on anyone's lawn

* I have played banjo a number of times, but I really suck at it
and,
* I still have all of my original teeth, and they look pretty good.

It's complicated, I guess that's what I am saying.

😐

d2bc2597-cfe1-41bc-813c-35932dcc0e87-BHM

12 hours ago, sparquelito said:

I was born on an Army base in Alabama, and spent many pivotal and important years of my life all across the State of Alabama, but I can hardly lay claim to being a Southerner.

* I was an Army Brat, and traveled all over the globe

But when it comes to the stereotypical attributes that we assign to Southerners, I sadly come up short.

* I have never had sex with my cousin

* I never once burned a cross on anyone's lawn

* I have played banjo a number of times, but I really suck at it
and,
* I still have all of my original teeth, and they look pretty good.

It's complicated, I guess that's what I am saying.

😐

d2bc2597-cfe1-41bc-813c-35932dcc0e87-BHM

Sparkey I never had sex with your cousin either.

I never had grits till I was in Navy bootbamp in San Diego of all places. Its the south just Southern California.

Shrimp and grits are killer. When I make mine I boil the shrimp in beer (I do not use the blue cans), and put in scallions, bacon crumbles (not those things you shake out of a glass container that go on salad) and mix in some grated cheese. 

GRITS is also an acronym for Girls Raised In The South. Now who says I "give foreigners half a$$ed information"?

And for those who don't know what grits are, its like white mushy loose polenta. Man I need make polenta, haven't in ages.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Retired said:

I don't do fries much anymore.  Used to do ketchup on them, Yes BBQ sauce is good on fries. I just dip the tips. 

The only thing I put ON fries is either malt vinegar or Worcestershire sauce.  Everything else(Heinz 57, A-1,  BBQ sauce, ketchup) is on the side and the fries are dipped.   [thumbup]

23 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Foreigners does not sound like a term of endearment.

It's not. It's a generic term for people from and/or living in a foreign country(duh!).

12 hours ago, sparquelito said:

It really doesn't take that long.  For some people at least...

Back in the '70's there was a kid across the street who met up with a girl from Tennessee who he wound up marrying and moved down there because her Dad got him a job down there.  He came up six months later to visit his folks and he dropped in on us and was speaking with a drawl so thick you'd have thought he was a Tennessee  native.  [laugh]

My first experience with grits was when I was 17 and on vacation with my family down at the Great Smoky  Mountains.  Stopping for breakfast somewhere I noticed all the tables already had a small dish of grits  on them.  Asking the waitress she explained a bit about what grits were, and it didn't sound bad so I gave them a try.  Hot grits on the side of a breakfast of eggs and bacon(or sausage)  won't entirely replace hash browns for me, but put a pat of butter on the hot grits and dash a bit of salt anp pepper on 'em and it's a good change of pace every now and then.  And I'm told some eat them with a bit of cream or milk and sugar, like some would have Cream Of Wheat.  Haven't tried that yet, but maybe some day......

Whitefang

• Like 1

On 8/1/2023 at 2:14 PM, jdgm said:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned -

in the UK we used to have (and some still do) bread sauce with chicken.

Do you have bread sauce in the USA?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bread_sauce

Now to gross everyone out. You mentioned bread sauce. The closest thing I've seen to it was: my Sicilian Grandmother would heat milk, put white bread in it, then wrap it around her feet with plastic bags. It was her remedy for a variety of foot problems. When we were kids, my brothers and sisters would joke about eating it.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

Now to gross everyone out. You mentioned bread sauce. The closest thing I've seen to it was: my Sicilian Grandmother would heat milk, put white bread in it, then wrap it around her feet with plastic bags. It was her remedy for a variety of foot problems. When we were kids, my brothers and sisters would joke about eating it.

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

1 minute ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Why? Traveling is fun. Are you in the state pen?

No, I did enough flying for my job. I don't like to fly, I really hate driving, I won't get on a bus. Trains are O.K. You can't get very far on my favorite modes of transportation, which are walking and bicycling. I've ridden a bike enough miles to have circled the earth 13.5 times (yes I keep a log), but I've never ridden more than 90 miles from where ever I was living.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gearbasher said:

No, I did enough flying for my job. I don't like to fly, I really hate driving, I won't get on a bus. Trains are O.K. You can't get very far on my favorite modes of transportation, which are walking and bicycling. I've ridden a bike enough miles to have circled the earth 13.5 times (yes I keep a log), but I've never ridden more than 90 miles from where ever I was living.

I am with you on not flying anymore.

I don't care if these two feet never leave the ground again.

Re; the white gravy for chicken fried steak, I can PM you a nice, easy recipe.

You will love it.

🙂

On 7/30/2023 at 7:50 PM, Sgt. Pepper said:

In Hawaii you can get Spam in McDonalds. At least you could the last time I was there.

Here’s more yumminess from Mickey D’s around the world.

https://www.lovefood.com/galleries/amp/60910/special-mcdonalds-menu-items-from-around-the-world

Anyone for the McVegan or Bulgogi Burger? Oh of course Poutine in Canada.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

14 hours ago, sparquelito said:

Re; the white gravy for chicken fried steak, I can PM you a nice, easy recipe.

You will love it.

🙂

I appreciate the offer, but I do not deep fry anything when I cook at home. So, I can't make my own chicken fried steak.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Here’s more yumminess from Mickey D’s around the world.

https://www.lovefood.com/galleries/amp/60910/special-mcdonalds-menu-items-from-around-the-world

Anyone for the McVegan or Bulgogi Burger? Oh of course Poutine in Canada.

And I understand you can get red wine with your Big Mac in France.   [thumbup]

And POUTINE?

Always sounded like some kind of French obscene sexual slang to me.   Like their version of  p@@ntang.  [wink]

Whitefang

16 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

And I understand you can get red wine with your Big Mac in France.   [thumbup]

And POUTINE?

Always sounded like some kind of French obscene sexual slang to me.   Like their version of  p@@ntang.  [wink]

Whitefang

It's just like it with out the tanginess. It's gooey too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

You can always recognise that wine. Not from the bouquet, nor from the swishy palate test. 

Its because afterwards you have a pink moustache for the rest of the day.

McBurgundy, what vintage is it? Last Tuesday.

55 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

Don't know if the burger is close, but if it's like the dish should be good. Bulgogi dish be one of my all time Korean favs. One of my all time fav dishes period.

https://www.allrecipes.com/article/what-is-bulgogi/

Oh I’ve been to S. Korea and had real Bulgogi.  I’m sure McD’s on a burger is so close to tasting authentic.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

Oh I’ve been to S. Korea and had real Bulgogi.  I’m sure McD’s on a burger is so close to tasting authentic.

Sarcastic. 

I've had the real stuff as well. My father fought in that war and one of our close neighbors back in the 60s was Korean immigrant. I miss that from scratch dish. Only my father would marinate it over night in a big jar in the fridge. 

2 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

Sarcastic. 

I've had the real stuff as well. My father fought in that war and one of our close neighbors back in the 60s was Korean immigrant. I miss that from scratch dish. Only my father would marinate it over night in a big jar in the fridge. 

Army guys getting married to Koreans? What? Next your gonna tell me Navy guys marry Philipina’s. 

When have I ever been sarcastic? 

• Haha 1