Gibson Brands Forums

HP Sauce

sparquelito

4 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

As for Worcestershire (pronounced 'Wooster') sauce.

I recall that it was a gentleman discovered some kind of curry recipe in India and was keen to have it reproduced back in England. He consulted the pharmacists (who were Lea and Perrins) and they sourced the ingredients and concocted it for him. Trouble was he never returned. They thought the stuff unsuitable for consumption and put it in the cellar. Years later they found it again and found it had fermented into the sauce we know today. 

I use it with tomato juice and also a little in a mug of hot oxo. 

Interesting story..

"pronounced 'Wooster' "

Thanks Rudi. Me thinks every american mispronounces it. I sure did. Now if we could learn how to spell sause.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

We have salsa for when we are eating Mexican food (I guess in Mexico its just called food) and some times hot sauce like Franks, Texas Pete's or Tabasco. 

What! You left out Cholula sauce! Bad Sgt. Sriracha too. But who's counting.  Me likes 'em all. 🙃

15 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I read somewhere that a big part of haute cuisine is “the sauce”.  I guess for many of us, it’s the condiments.  I do like mayo  on French fries.  Or vinegar.  

For me it's MALT vinegar on fries.  I don't like mayo on anything.(  I wouldn't mind a young Virginia Mayo anywhere!  [wink]  )

740full-virginia-mayo.jpg

15 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

Read some where it was a misteak.🙃 seriously! Copied another recipie, failed, shelved, revisited to find it was different. Fermentation,. Poof, Worcestershire Sause.

[laugh]  I'll pardon the pun.  [wink]

Whitefang

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Whitefang said:

For me it's MALT vinegar on fries.  I don't like mayo on anything.(  I wouldn't mind a young Virginia Mayo anywhere!  [wink]  )

Whitefang

Just givin ya a hard time. I enjoy it when you point out my misspelling. I'll back off a wee bit tho. Not much. Just a wee bit.

------

Memories sir. Tnx!

Frickin MALT vinager! OMG dude!

Used to be a fast food chain called H. Salt Esq. Fish & Chips. I absolutely loved it. Cod fish 'logs' one could dowse with their malt vinager. I coved the fries in it too.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

Just givin ya a hard time. I enjoy it when you point out my misspelling. I'll back off a wee bit tho. Not much. Just a wee bit.

------

Memories sir. Tnx!

Frickin MALT vinager! OMG dude!

Used to be a fast food chain called H. Salt Esq. Fish & Chips. I absolutely loved it. Cod fish 'logs' one could dowse with their malt vinager. I coved the fries in it too.

If you recall, there was somebody who mentioned they went to Cedar Point amusement park recently.  I did bring up that I remember back many moons ago that the park had stands in there that served huge fries( I called them railroad tie sized  [wink]) and that there were stands out front with huge jugs of malt vinegar you could squirt all over them.  That's where I developed the taste for malt vinegar on fries.  And there used to be a lot of Long John Silver fish'n'chip places all over( until recently) that had malt vinegar on the tables of each booth with a bottle of malt vinegar along with the ketchup and mustard squeeze bottles.  Whenever I fix fish at home I sprinkle a healthy amount of it on my fish.

Whitefang

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

You all gone and made me want chip & chips with vinegar now 

You have to regale us with your adventure sir. Those places are far and few round these here parts. I'm in a land locked state. Getting any kind of good fresh salties, let alone topped with malt, well, it's just not here. Peas?🙃

Heckle, you could engage in a new thread on that topic. I for one would participate. Sure woods I wood.

Edited by CROWB8

24 minutes ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I will not put sriracha sauce in my mouth, Cholula is okay. 

Tho it's a popular one, I'm not much for it either (tho I kinda said different). Bought a bottle once. Sat there till the next time the fridge got cleaned. Cholula tho, it's a staple in our house. Scrambled eggs, cheese, topped w Cholula sauce. Wakes me up.

Edited by CROWB8

47 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

You have to regale us with your adventure sir. Those places are far and few round these here parts. I'm in a land locked state. Getting any kind of good fresh salties, let alone topped with malt, well, it's just not here. Peas?🙃

Heckle, you could engage in a new thread on that topic. I for one would participate. Sure woods I wood.

While I live on the coast, Portsmouth is not a fishing port. My mother was born and raised in Hastings, which is an old fishing port 80 miles away. We would go there for holidays.

Some of our family were fishermen working on the beach launched trawlers there (early 1960s). So fish was always day fresh and local. It tasted that much better, in both flavour & texture. Usually eaten outdoors along the beach, from newspaper (it was sold wrapped in newspaper). Before leaving for home we usually were given some more fish to take home. Those fishermen were the first guys I ever saw wearing an earing. It was a still a tradition at that time. 

I took my mother back there a few years before she passed. The family trawlermen were long gone by then. That time we had Dover Sole served in a hotel. Very nice & a bit expensive, but no better than plaice out of the newspaper on the promenade. 

These days Cherry & I have the 'pensioners' fish & chips a couple of times a year as a treat (lots of calories) usually as a takeaway.

the Hasting fishing fleet today

12-hastings-fishing-fleet.jpg?w=1400&h=-

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, merciful-evans said:

While I live on the coast, Portsmouth is not a fishing port. My mother was born and raised in Hastings, which is an old fishing port 80 miles away. We would go there for holidays.

Some of our family were fishermen working on the beach launched trawlers there (early 1960s). So fish was always day fresh and local. It tasted that much better, in both flavour & texture. Usually eaten outdoors along the beach, from newspaper (it was sold wrapped in newspaper). Before leaving for home we usually were given some more fish to take home. Those fishermen were the first guys I ever saw wearing an earing. It was a still a tradition at that time. 

I took my mother back there a few years before she passed. The family trawlermen were long gone by then. That time we had Dover Sole served in a hotel. Very nice & a bit expensive, but no better than plaice out of the newspaper on the promenade. 

These days Cherry & I have the 'pensioners' fish & chips a couple of times a year as a treat (lots of calories) usually as a takeaway.

the Hasting fishing fleet today

12-hastings-fishing-fleet.jpg?w=1400&h=-

Lookie here!

https://forum.gibson.com/topic/176258-where-were-you-raised/

Edited by CROWB8

Some consider it frosting on the cake. As I do from time to time. However, a porter house, t bone, rib eye and the like, true spoken sir.

Much respect for the purist. Represent the cave man in all of us.

7 hours ago, IanHenry said:

One pickle that you should try is Piccalilli, maybe you already have it in the US because Heinz produces a very good one.  I like to slit Sausages down their length, put some Piccalille inside and make them into a Sausage butty.

Heinz | Piccalilli Pickle

It’s crunchy and tangy.

1 hour ago, kidblast said:

you don't put that crap on steak  whatsamatta wit you people???

some kosher salt, cracked pepper corn,  trust the heat, turn it once.

I never put crap on my steak. I’m not fishing a poo out of the bowl for a condiment.

I watched someone put ketchup on steak once,  I had to look away,  couldn't sleep for a week

(just kidding...)

A good steak needs nothing but a touch of seasoning,  but everyone digs what they dig, 

even if it is ketchup,,.....

.....on steak...... 

oh the horrors..

• Haha 1

On 7/24/2023 at 2:39 PM, IanHenry said:

One pickle that you should try is Piccalilli, maybe you already have it in the US because Heinz produces a very good one.  I like to slit Sausages down their length, put some Piccalille inside and make them into a Sausage butty.

Heinz | Piccalilli Pickle

Never liked it. 

I'll stick with Branston

On 7/24/2023 at 10:41 AM, Whitefang said:

Whitefang

I hate any vinegar, her I like. 
The Cacalacian’s love that vinegar sauce on bbq. Nasty.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Notice the label on the sauce bottle.

On the right is Big Ben (famous clock tower, actually called the Elizabeth tower) which is covered in scaffolding.   In reality this has gone as the repair and refurbishment has now been completed. 

I discovered this change was made to the label in 2019.   The article I have linked to discusses it, and contains some interesting details about this venerable condiment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48473879

Both HP and Daddies sauce brands are now owned by Heinz.  HP is made in the Netherlands, Daddies in Poland.

[wink]

Edited by jdgm

11 hours ago, jdgm said:

Notice the label on the sauce bottle.

On the right is Big Ben (famous clock tower, actually called the Elizabeth tower) which is covered in scaffolding.   In reality this has gone as the repair and refurbishment has now been completed. 

I discovered this change was made to the label in 2019.   The article I have linked to discusses it, and contains some interesting details about this venerable condiment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-48473879

Both HP and Daddies sauce brands are now owned by Heinz.  HP is made in the Netherlands, Daddies in Poland.

[wink]

Maybe HP Sauce should now have a Windmill on the label🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/25/2023 at 9:57 AM, kidblast said:

I watched someone put ketchup on steak once,  I had to look away,  couldn't sleep for a week

(just kidding...)

A good steak needs nothing but a touch of seasoning,  but everyone digs what they dig, 

.....on steak...... 

oh the horrors..

Agree. I use a little bit of steak sauce on mine when I'm a rebel.

On 7/25/2023 at 2:57 PM, kidblast said:

(just kidding...)

.....on steak...... 

oh the horrors..

Usually

but sometimes... a freshly made pepper sauce. Or maybe a bit of horseradish 

Reading this again has made me realise I'm a too rigidly traditional about sauces & relishes. I shudder when I see people put salad cream on chips/fries. Or ketchup on eggs.

the rules (tradition) are:

Pork  - apple sauce

Lamb - mint sauce

Beef - horseradish sauce

Turkey - cranberry sauce

Fish - parsley or butter sauce (fried - tartare sauce)

Eggs - hollandaise sauce

I think Chicken and Venison are exempt. Chicken can pair with many sauces. Venison ? None I'm aware of.