Gibson Brands Forums

HP Sauce

sparquelito

13 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Reading this again has made me realise I'm a too rigidly traditional about sauces & relishes. I shudder when I see people put salad cream on chips/fries. Or ketchup on eggs.

the rules (tradition) are:

Pork  - apple sauce

Lamb - mint sauce

Beef - horseradish sauce

Turkey - cranberry sauce

Fish - parsley or butter sauce (fried - tartare sauce)

Eggs - hollandaise sauce

I think Chicken and Venison are exempt. Chicken can pair with many sauces. Venison ? None I'm aware of. 

ketchup on eggs,, yep  I don't get it.

Sauces are ok based on the rest of what's going on.  You can't do Thai food without dipping sauces, Asian based food isn't Asian based food without soy, or hoisin sauce, sweet and sour,, duck sauce.

Turkey needs Gravy, a pot roast dinner does too.  (Is gravy a sauce?)

Pasta without Marinara,   is just,  well  pasta! 

14 minutes ago, kidblast said:

Sauces are ok based on the rest of what's going on.  You can't do Thai food without dipping sauces, Asian based food isn't Asian based food without soy, or hoisin sauce, sweet and sour,, duck sauce.

Gravy ?! You got me there. Dunno? I suppose it should be 

Marinara: Had to look that up. Never heard it called that, but yes 'that'. 

46 minutes ago, kidblast said:

The Italians call Gravy what us 'Mericans call Pasta Sauce.

Ever see Goodfellas when Ray Litotta's character is going to go pick up a bunch of Coc, and he tell that kid keep stirring the gravy.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Ketchup is a funny one.

Sparingly, on the side of home fries (Bratkartoffeln)?
Yes.
All over eggs?
God no.

I once prepared a really five star meal for my wife and one her friends from work one evening.
Filet Mignon, medium rare, bow tie pasta, gently stir-fried garden-fresh squash, and a German cucumber salad.
I mean,  it was fantastic in every way, and sauced/seasoned to perfection.

We got seated, and my wife offered a brief prayer, "God bless our troops overseas and our sailors on the seas. Now let's eat!"

Everyone started to dig in, and then our guest politely asked if we had any ketchup.

I warily responded, "Yes, in the fridge?"
I did not offer to go get it.

She cheerfully got up and said, "Great, thank you. You stay put, and I'll go get it."

She came back, doused everything down with about a half bottle of ketchup, and chirped, "Fantastic!  Just right!"

My left eye began to twitch, and I contemplated diving across the table and stabbing my wife's friend in the throat with my fork.
But I held my composure, and quietly enjoyed my meal with a nice glass of Black Opal Shiraz.

The things I put up with in the name of polite gentility and (of course) avoiding prison time.

😞

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Ketchup is a funny one.

Sparingly, on the side of home fries (Bratkartoffeln)?
Yes.
All over eggs?
God no.

I once prepared a really five star meal for my wife and one her friends from work one evening.
Filet Mignon, medium rare, bow tie pasta, gently stir-fried garden-fresh squash, and a German cucumber salad.
I mean,  it was fantastic in every way, and sauced/seasoned to perfection.

We got seated, and my wife offered a brief prayer, "God bless our troops overseas and our sailors on the seas. Now let's eat!"

Everyone started to dig in, and then our guest politely asked if we had any ketchup.

I warily responded, "Yes, in the fridge?"
I did not offer to go get it.

She cheerfully got up and said, "Great, thank you. You stay put, and I'll go get it."

She came back, doused everything down with about a half bottle of ketchup, and chirped, "Fantastic!  Just right!"

My left eye began to twitch, and I contemplated diving across the table and stabbing my wife's friend in the throat with my fork.
But I held my composure, and quietly enjoyed my meal with a nice glass of Black Opal Shiraz.

The things I put up with in the name of polite gentility and (of course) avoiding prison time.

😞

I freaked out when a friend put ketchup on mac n cheese. Tried it. It works. Now the wifey and I make a dinner out of it. Add sliced beef dogs or bacon bits, pop into oven. Once out, add grated sharp cheddar over top and pop back in oven for a golden casserole

Edited by CROWB8
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CROWB8 said:

I freaked out when a friend put ketchup on mac n cheese. Tried it. It works. Now the wifey and I make a dinner out of it. Add sliced beef dogs or bacon bits, pop into oven. Once out, add grated sharp cheddar over top and pop back in oven for a golden casserole

I do it. My wife scoffed at me. Had a bite, now she does it. Women.

I usually just put a little bit on the side, not all over it, so I can just dip a fork full as needed. I loved fresh cracked peppercorns on Mac N Cheese too. Makes it fancy.

I put ketchup on hot dogs too. Now my wife does it to. She told me not to tell her brothers she does it. I ratted her out. Women, again. I know I'm a 5 year old.  I do mustard, kraut, relish too.

Now this is nasty and my 5 year old self did it and I would never do it now - Mayo. I loved it as a kid on dogs.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I do it. My wife scoffed at me. Had a bite, now she does it. Women.

I usually just put a little bit on the side, not all over it, so I can just dip a fork full as needed. I loved fresh cracked peppercorns on Mac N Cheese too. Makes it fancy.

I put ketchup on hot dogs too. Now my wife does it to. She told me not to tell her brothers she does it. I ratted her out. Women, again. I know I'm a 5 year old.  I do mustard, kraut, relish too.

Now this is nasty and my 5 year old self did it and I would never do it now - Mayo. I loved it as a kid on dogs.

Yea yea.....

I do both as well. Little ketchup on the side of mac n cheese so I can get a bit w/o too. Variety. Pepper kinda goes with out sayin....... Purdy much on everything save coffee and cereal.🙃

Well now, the wifey, being Italian, intro'd me to mayo with red pepper flakes on snausasges and such. Even fried bologna. Works!

Edited by CROWB8

13 minutes ago, CROWB8 said:

Wanna give a nod to @sparquelito for letting us go a little off the deep end here in his thread. Ty sir.

Be interested in an update on his comparison tests.

https://forum.gibson.com/topic/176237-hp-sauce/?do=findComment&comment=2195705

Thanks, CROWB8.

It's funny you mention the comparison test.
I just this morning set about it, with the last of the sauces in place, and a really nice hunk of leftover steak and fried potatoes from yesterday's lunch.

It's pretty simple, and there were no losers as far as I'm concerned.

Daddies - Wonderful.
A little sweeter than I had anticipated, and less savory than the HP Sauce.
But still wonderful, and just might be best on the side of some fried chicken.

HP Sauce - Excellent. I have had it on the side of a few different dishes this week.
All around excellent, and darned if it doesn't taste more and more (to me anyway) like a combination of A1 Steak Sauce and Heinz 57 Sauces.

A1 Steak Sauce - I grew up with this stuff, and I can recall having it next to grilled steak and/or hamburgers as far back as the late 1960's.  I first had it in a restaurant back then in Kansas City.  A tender rare steak (in my world today) only needs a tiny splash of quality soy sauce on the side. (Aloha Shoyu is my favorite.)  But a tougher cut of steak, one that was grilled medium or worse, gets A1.

Heinz 57 Sauce - A very strong tinge of mustard is the hallmark of this sauce, and that's why it goes on the occasional hot dog, especially when I'm too lazy to grab both the ketchup and the mustard. Goes well with sauerkraut in that regard.

Thanks again to all my brethren from the UK for turning me on to HP Sauce and Daddies.
I love it that I can find new flavors and explore new culinary horizons, well now into my 60's!

🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

Thanks, CROWB8.

It's funny you mention the comparison test.
I just this morning set about it, with the last of the sauces in place, and a really nice hunk of leftover steak and fried potatoes from yesterday's lunch.

It's pretty simple, and there were no losers as far as I'm concerned.

Daddies - Wonderful.
A little sweeter than I had anticipated, and less savory than the HP Sauce.
But still wonderful, and just might be best on the side of some fried chicken.

HP Sauce - Excellent. I have had it on the side of a few different dishes this week.
All around excellent, and darned if it doesn't taste more and more (to me anyway) like a combination of A1 Steak Sauce and Heinz 57 Sauces.

A1 Steak Sauce - I grew up with this stuff, and I can recall having it next to grilled steak and/or hamburgers as far back as the late 1960's.  I first had it in a restaurant back then in Kansas City.  A tender rare steak (in my world today) only needs a tiny splash of quality soy sauce on the side. (Aloha Shoyu is my favorite.)  But a tougher cut of steak, one that was grilled medium or worse, gets A1.

Heinz 57 Sauce - A very strong tinge of mustard is the hallmark of this sauce, and that's why it goes on the occasional hot dog, especially when I'm too lazy to grab both the ketchup and the mustard. Goes well with sauerkraut in that regard.

Thanks again to all my brethren from the UK for turning me on to HP Sauce and Daddies.
I love it that I can find new flavors and explore new culinary horizons, well now into my 60's!

🙂

K. Now you dunnit. Prolly have to get me some HP and Daddies as well. All your fault sir. Arg....🙃

• Like 1

Relishes, chutneys, pickles, sauces and such - always good to discover new recipes and variations.

I love corn relish and onion relish.  Recently got introcuced to chili jam which is my new must-have.  And I bought a jar of fig relish too; hmmm....too much fig and not enough relish IMO.   Also these days I like to know about the salt content of everything,  really.

I have heard that in the USA you don't have salad cream?    But you must know about patum peperium -

http://www.patumpeperium1828.com/

Mustard anybody?   English mustard can be bought in powdered form and that's how I get mine.  English mustard is yellow and sharp.  That's it.   Unlike French/European mustards which have extra ingredients and are usually milder and subtler than English.       I vaguely remember a thread - the grey poupon.......[laugh]

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, jdgm said:

Relishes, chutneys, pickles, sauces and such - always good to discover new recipes and variations.

I love corn relish and onion relish.  Recently got introcuced to chili jam which is my new must-have.  And I bought a jar of fig relish too; hmmm....too much fig and not enough relish IMO.   Also these days I like to know about the salt content of everything,  really.

I have heard that in the USA you don't have salad cream?    But you must know about patum peperium -

http://www.patumpeperium1828.com/

Mustard anybody?   English mustard can be bought in powdered form and that's how I get mine.  English mustard is yellow and sharp.  That's it.   Unlike French/European mustards which have extra ingredients and are usually milder and subtler than English.       I vaguely remember a thread -  @pippy  and the grey poupon.......[laugh]

English Mustard: I know there are some American fans. Years back one had a website all about Colemans. I think he called himself mustardjames. Its strong. When I was a kid I would ask my mother to 'put a lot of mustard' on my ham sandwich. It produced a mild pain in my frontal lobes. Powdered? Yes, I mix it with a little water and a drop of soy sauce. I mostly use jars though.

Salad Cream: Probably in a slow decline now? I think most youngsters use Mayonnaise now. I love salad cream. Its less creamy then mayo and has a mild kick to it. Essentially it has less egg yoke and more vinegar.

4 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

English Mustard: I know there are some American fans. Years back one had a website all about Colemans. I think he called himself mustardjames. Its strong. When I was a kid I would ask my mother to 'put a lot of mustard' on my ham sandwich. It produced a mild pain in my frontal lobes. Powdered? Yes, I mix it with a little water and a drop of soy sauce. I mostly use jars though.

Salad Cream: Probably in a slow decline now? I think most youngsters use Mayonnaise now. I love salad cream. Its less creamy then mayo and has a mild kick to it. Essentially it has less egg yoke and more vinegar.

English Mustard on Corned Beef. Hell yeah. I have a small jar of Colman’s in the house.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

22 hours ago, CROWB8 said:

I put Ranch dressing on my mac'n'cheese.  Something I picked up from a grandniece.  But no more than a drizzle. 

And I too think ketchup on eggs is an abomination.

Whitefang

I’m thinking about how my wife puts ketchup on eggs and realizing I’m like psycho OCD picky about eggs. First of all I always prepare eggs last so that they are piping hot when they go on the table. Cold over cooked scrambled eggs make me think of being nauseous in a hospital

just the cool temp of the ketchup on hot eggs bothers me even without considering the way it tastes. 

hard boiled eggs are good to eat cold but most people over cook them so badly 

last week I made some tamagoyaki nigiri and I was pretty proud of how it came out. A little soy sauce and (American) wasabi to dip it in. That’s another egg dish that’s not served hot

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Dub-T-123 said:

last week I made some tamagoyaki nigiri and I was pretty proud of how it came out. A little soy sauce and (American) wasabi to dip it in. That’s another egg dish that’s not served hot

Those are good. Now I want some sushi too.

1 hour ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I do not like horseradish. It’s vile.

Well slap my face. You're no help. Jeeze Sgt.🙃🙃🙃 you know I be kidding.....sorta🙃

Edited by CROWB8

21 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

I do not like horseradish. It’s vile.

Ever try beet horseradish?  A bit milder than the traditional white.

ProductPage_BeetswHorseradish.png

And did you ever notice most people pronounce it "HORSH-RADISH"?     [wink]

Whitefang