Gibson Brands Forums

Do The Beatles still hold up to modern music?

cody78

On 11/5/2023 at 10:28 AM, E-minor7 said:

I was there - but very young, , , still had and enjoyed the records. You probably won't be able to imagine how big they were.                                That means everywhere - also in the camps that didn't understand or like them. 

When Alfred himself joins the wave there not much left to discuss - says it all.  

Alfred Hitchcock does his best Ringo impression in a Beatles wig, 1964 : r/ beatles

Don't know what he thought of the band, but he sure drummed the vibe up. . . 

I was really into them (and Alfred). Everywhere you looked, people were emulating them pretty much like when Elvis made it big.  Here's Bob Hope and Dean Martin. And then Chet. His Picks on The Beatles is one of my favorites.

17f5f58c16019e7eb56c56a23b2276d7.jpg

Back.jpg

Edited by Dave F

3 minutes ago, Dave F said:

I was really into them (and Alfred). Everywhere you looked, people were emulating them pretty much like when Elvis made it big.  Here's Bob Hope and Dean Martin.

17f5f58c16019e7eb56c56a23b2276d7.jpg

😆 Out on thin ice there.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Guess the Fabs laughed their caps off. . 

29 minutes ago, Dave F said:

This was the look about everyone I knew was trying to copy (including me). The hair, the boots, the jackets. Then the folk/hippie look took over. I followed it too.

1200x0.jpg

Absolutely - and this is probably 1963. Never seen this particular shot before.

My father came home with the She Loves You/I'll Get You single for me and they wore the same lapel-less suits on the front.

Don't forget the ultra-kool mid-phase btw. The looser or freer not yet hippie-style 1965-66. 

51 minutes ago, Retired said:

Rather its true or not, I don't know but my oldest sister was a music teacher and claimed Ringo was the few drummers who had perfect timing.  My wife claims the same thing. 

They were right.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Not sure if he was one of few, but Starr was immaculately good.                                                                                                                                        Yet not a typhoon which became more and more attractive plus minus 1970 and onwards.

Edited by E-minor7

5 hours ago, E-minor7 said:

They were right.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Not sure if he was one of few, but Starr was immaculately good.                                                                                                                                        Yet not a typhoon which became more and more attractive plus minus 1970 and onwards.

Wasn't it John that replied to a question someone asked if Ringo was the best drummer in the world? 

"He's not even the best drummer in the band"!

• Haha 1

On 11/7/2023 at 8:10 PM, E-minor7 said:

I would like to know how you as a sax-player (and perhaps colleagues) characterize The Beatles' relation to the saxophone.  

I live and love music. It doesn't have to have a saxophone in it for me to like it.

I like symphonies, blues, jazz, Latin American, Caribbean, Klezmer, country, rock, punk, disco and quite a few other genres.

BTW, sax is my primary instrument, but I started on drums, and also play flute, wind synthesizer, guitar, bass, keyboards, and vocals.

In my current duo, http://www.s-cats.com I do all our backing tracks. Usually from scratch. I tried buying some but spent so much time tweaking them, it's easier for me to just play the parts into a DAW. That way I understand everything about them, the chords used, any substitution chords, and so on.

In the bands that I've been in, since every composer doesn't have the good sense to include a sax part, I would double on bass or rhythm guitar so we could cover "3 guitar" songs. In one band the drummer was a lead singer, so I would sit at his kit for a few songs so he could get out front and sing.

I also write aftermarket styles for the auto-accompaniment app, Band-in-a-Box, at https://www.nortonmusic.com and I write all the parts to those styles.

I've been a pro musician since I graduated school, with an exception of taking a job to see what "normal" was like. It didn't last all that long. I've opened for headliners in concert, played dive bars and almost everything in between.

So how do the Beatles relate to me, the sax player?  As a music making ensemble.  

Notes ♫

On 11/8/2023 at 1:50 AM, gibsonchiq said:

i would say no. the beatles are not in the same level as modern pop music. they're really more classic songs and standards at this point. music has evolved beyond the beatles. 

It has evolved, but I wouldn't say beyond. It has changed, but better or worse is a useless comparison. Music has changed since Shostakovich and Tchaikovsky Symphonies, but that doesn't make them inferior.

I hear good modern music and bad modern music, and that is just my taste showing. Others think what I like is bad, and what I dislike is good. That's why there is more than one kind. Or as they say, "That's why there is both chocolate and vanilla ice cream." (I prefer pistachio.)

Notes ♫

7 hours ago, Notes_Norton said:

I live and love music. It doesn't have to have a saxophone in it for me to like it.

I like symphonies, blues, jazz, Latin American, Caribbean, Klezmer, country, rock, punk, disco and quite a few other genres.

BTW, sax is my primary instrument, but I started on drums, and also play flute, wind synthesizer, guitar, bass, keyboards, and vocals.

In my current duo, http://www.s-cats.com I do all our backing tracks. Usually from scratch. I tried buying some but spent so much time tweaking them, it's easier for me to just play the parts into a DAW. That way I understand everything about them, the chords used, any substitution chords, and so on.

In the bands that I've been in, since every composer doesn't have the good sense to include a sax part, I would double on bass or rhythm guitar so we could cover "3 guitar" songs. In one band the drummer was a lead singer, so I would sit at his kit for a few songs so he could get out front and sing.

I also write aftermarket styles for the auto-accompaniment app, Band-in-a-Box, at https://www.nortonmusic.com and I write all the parts to those styles.

I've been a pro musician since I graduated school, with an exception of taking a job to see what "normal" was like. It didn't last all that long. I've opened for headliners in concert, played dive bars and almost everything in between.

So how do the Beatles relate to me, the sax player?  As a music making ensemble.  

Notes ♫

Sounds great - hope you'll be able to keep your musical soul'n'spirit intact in the whirlwind of tonal activities.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Btw. what is a wind synthesizer ? 

And apart from that my Q was about your thoughts as sax-player on The Beatles' use of saxophone. 

On 11/8/2023 at 8:44 AM, Murph said:

De-evolved perhaps...

Nodding… Digital “helps” like auto-tune and canned loops have allowed otherwise mediocre folks who would have been laughed/booed off the stage become major influences.  (No offense, Eminor, seriously, somebody has to help these people out, and more power to you for getting paid for it 😄).

I’m talking back in the “analog” days, when you were up there all alone as a band or solo, maybe some vocal reverb on the amp and some pedals for extra juice.  If you croaked like a frog, or messed up the beat, it was there for everyone to “appreciate.” But sincerity counted for something, and you had to think on your feet how to get back in the groove.  

In the aftermath of the disco blitzkrieg and the rise of easy digital tweaks, it didn’t matter if you could play/sing for beans, “we can take care of the music, but can you strut around the stage and look good grinding in your underwear?” (True story.)  

Okay, I admit, I may be using a garage-door as a paintbrush, but my ears ache now after listening to the squealing of some corporate managed, platinum star whose sound board is compensating so hard for the sloppy vocals it may as well be Mickey/Minnie Mouse up there.   

I recently stumbled on one of those “young people watch old music” videos and these guys were jumping out of their chairs listening to a live version of Whiter Shade of Pale, gobsmacked that it was Gary Brooker’s actual voice and he was “just” singing, totally blown away by the arrangement and instrumentation.  

I hope young people’s newfound infatuation with vinyl helps rekindle the idea humans can make great music without terabytes of data between them and their performance.  

And hey, get off my lawn… 👴

Edited by PrairieDog

Okay, we had B. Hope under the wig above. Here he goes again - this time in hotter company.

Tells a lot - the White had to be covered.

But cheesy it's not reluctant to be. .  

3 hours ago, SteveFord said:

The Fabs have shot to the Toppermost of the Poppermost, Number One with a bullet on the UK Charts.

Did I read right.. A total of 78,000 CD’s, Vinyl & Downloads Sales got them to Number One. Remember when it used to take a million?

I remember running to the record store to get every new record from them. The only time I was disappointed is when Slow Down/ Matchbox came out. The pressed record had a flaw that caused a skip and we could not find a good one in the batch. I noticed it did not do that well on the charts. I still liked it.

s-l1600.jpg

1 hour ago, Dave F said:

…The pressed record had a flaw that caused a skip and we could not find a good one in the batch. I noticed it did not do that well on the charts. I still liked it.

Speaking of unplayable records: 2003, cleaning out the attic accumulation in my mom’s house, under a pile of 60s campaign posters, scuffing around on the gritty floor for decades, was a first pressing of “Introducing the Beatles”… without a sleeve.   Figured it was my older sister’s.  I didn’t know whether to laugh or cry.  I wished she had just thrown it away so I didn’t have to even know about it.  

Edited by PrairieDog

https://www.reuters.com/lifestyle/beatlemania-is-back-chart-topping-now-then-breaks-records-2023-11-10/

The song is the fastest-selling single of the year to date in Britain with 48,600 physical and download sales based on the its first seven days, the Official Charts Company said.

It is also the fastest-selling vinyl single of the century so far in Britain with more than 19,400 copies sold on vinyl, and the most-streamed Beatles track in one week, with 5.03 million streams, it added.

Yes, I would say they're still relevant but there's no telling what age demographic is doing the purchasing.  Things tend to skip a generation so it could be grandparents and their grandchildren.

• Like 1