Gibson Brands Forums

The new Beatles

E-minor7

2 hours ago, 62burst said:

Nice. 

Take a post-Beatles era song written by John Lennon 45 years ago, re-do it with today's technology, and then take that version back to how the Beatles would've done 59 years ago. I'm a little confused by it all, but the Time Travel version did have the sound and feel of a vintage Beatles tune. 👍.

Yeah, , , but it also shows HOW good their early stuff was. . 

• Like 1

Sorry, I have not listened to it and don't really plan to. I loved the Beatles for many years, had most of the albums on vinyl, cassette tape and later CD. Saw the movies. But somehow, I just lost interest over the years. Tried listening to one of the albums awhile ago and didn't make it all the way through. I think they were brilliant, but they no longer appeal to me. 

But I'm concerned about AI - especially this recent decision

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/federal-judge-sides-with-ai-companies-in-artists-copyright-dispute-2387654

"The judge made a distinction between works that are copyrighted and works that are not. Though the U.S. Copyright Office considers a copyright to exist “from the moment the work is created,” the agency notes that copyrights have to be registered to bring a lawsuit for alleged infringement"

Granted, the fight is just beginning, but it seems inevitable that artists (in all media) will be the losers. In this case, the artists could prove their works were ripped off for use in AI-created "art" but they lost because they never registered a copyright.

If you've posted music anywhere on the internet, get ready to start hearing your tunes and lyrics in AI-generated works. How many of you actually register copyrights for your works? I understand that this Beatles song is a different kind of thing that has its own merits. And there are plenty of good - even exciting - uses for AI. But it sure looks like it will change the arts forever... in a bad way. 

Edited by Boyd
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Boyd said:

Sorry, I have not listened to it and don't really plan to. I loved the Beatles for many years, had most of the albums on vinyl, cassette tape and later CD. Saw the movies. But somehow, I just lost interest over the years. Tried listening to one of the albums awhile ago and didn't make it all the way through. I think they were brilliant, but they no longer appeal to me. 

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/federal-judge-sides-with-ai-companies-in-artists-copyright-dispute-2387654

"The judge made a distinction between works that are copyrighted and works that are not. Though the U.S. Copyright Office considers a copyright to exist “from the moment the work is created,” the agency notes that copyrights have to be registered to bring a lawsuit for alleged infringement"

Granted, the fight is just beginning, but it seems inevitable that artists (in all media) will be the losers. In this case, the artists could prove their works were ripped off for use in AI-created "art" but they lost because they never registered a copyright.

If you've posted music anywhere on the internet, get ready to start hearing your tunes and lyrics in AI-generated works. How many of you actually register copyrights for your works? I understand that this Beatles song is a different kind of thing that has its own merits. And there are plenty of good - even exciting - uses for AI. But it sure looks like it will change the arts forever... in a bad way. 

Heps for a weighty comment. Maybe you should post it in the Lounge-thread Do the Beatles music hold up to modern music also.

The whole copyright issue is always a serious territory to enter. I remember reading a CSN&Y book, which also had a diary-like calendar. It informed about how the guys registered just after writing, not releasing a song. Probably so they could play it live - but also so that no jerk would steal the melody while recording.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     SO many ways things can leak from that vulnerable phase. .  

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 6:57 AM, Boyd said:

I’m curious about people burned out on Beatles music.. What appeals to them now? 

Edited by Larsongs

I still have not heard the new version of Now and Then yet, but I will by this weekend. 

However, I did want to make a comment about the use of AI for this project. It was not generative AI. It wasn't used to "create" anything. Instead, it was used to remove things from a recording - the background noise, cassette tape hiss, and the piano from the poor quality cassette tape demo that John recorded in his home in New York. That's it. There is not one word/note of that vocal performance that wasn't originally sung by John Lennon. 

Can generative AI be used to imitate? Sure. And that's a serious topic for discussion IMHO... but that's not what the AI was used for in this instance. 

45 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I’m curious about people burned out on Beatles music.. What appeals to them now? 

I simply don't care for their music anymore and stopped listening to them long ago. I enjoy a wide variety of musical styles and go through phases of listening to different things.  But generally speaking, I rarely listen to anything as commercial as the Beatles or other bands that were "climbing the charts" back in my youth. If you still like the Beatles, that's great - nothing wrong with that!

Edited by Boyd

13 minutes ago, Boyd said:

I simply don't care for their music anymore and stopped listening to them long ago. I enjoy a wide variety of musical styles and go through phases of listening to different things.  But generally speaking, I rarely listen to anything as commercial as the Beatles or other bands that were "climbing the charts" back in my youth. If you still like the Beatles, that's great - nothing wrong with that!

I have Sirius radio & listen to it a lot.. Although, I’m always changing Stations.. I’m not finding much from the 70’s on that does much for me. I agree much of the older stuff has been played to death.. Not that it isn’t good, I’ve just heard it too much..

Sometimes Underground Garage has some New & Old music & bands that is good that I’ve never heard before.. For the most part music has been in a downward trend for many many years.. At least for me..

I would like to find new music & bands that I would like! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I have Sirius radio & listen to it a lot.. Although, I’m always changing Stations.. I’m not finding much from the 70’s on that does much for me. I agree much of the older stuff has been played to death.. Not that it isn’t good, I’ve just heard it too much..

Sometimes Underground Garage has some New & Old music & bands that is good that I’ve never heard before.. For the most part music has been in a downward trend for many many years.. At least for me..

I would like to find new music & bands that I would like! 

Sirius' Beatles Channel puts on display the flaw with The Beatles and why people get burnt out on them a la Boyd here- they simply don't have a volume of work and live performances with variations of that work that you can really find new things with them. They're my all time number one but rarely am I like "let's throw on Help! for the millionth time!". they have arguably the largest fanbase or at least people-that-like-them, but compared with the other artist stations on sirius where you have thousands of hours of live concerts, the beatles channel is unlistenable with just all the studio stuff. 

I'll still seek out and enjoy anything new from them though! 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cunningham26 said:

Sirius' Beatles Channel puts on display the flaw with The Beatles and why people get burnt out on them a la Boyd here- they simply don't have a volume of work and live performances with variations of that work that you can really find new things with them. They're my all time number one but rarely am I like "let's throw on Help! for the millionth time!". they have arguably the largest fanbase or at least people-that-like-them, but compared with the other artist stations on sirius where you have thousands of hours of live concerts, the beatles channel is unlistenable with just all the studio stuff. 

I'll still seek out and enjoy anything new from them though! 

Like Tom Petty.. Great Station.. I think they Recorded every Live concert they ever did.. And recorded them excellently.. Classic Vinyl & Deep Tracks have gone way deep.. So deep I haven'te heard 90% of the stuff they play.. Some good & lots.. not so good.. I am not a fan of any form of Rap.. Except maybe some Beastie Boys early stuff.. I like The Ramones.. Some Nirvana.. The Strypes.. And others

• Like 1

Update:

I know, I know, I said I would never, ever, ever, ever sign to Disney Plus.......

I had a look around to get the Bluray of the (2021) Get Back documentary (Peter Jackson) and came up with ....zip.

Better Half said she would sign up and we could watch ....but she took too long and....

I have signed! Disney Plus.

But we have both been engrossed watching the documentary - watched about 1 episode a night for 3 nights.......

Glad now, that is fabulous! And Dig a Pony is still going around my head.......

BluesKing777.

The more I hear this song and think about it, the more it bothers me that the original demo wasn't just cleaned up using modern technology and released unaltered, as a JOHN LENNON song. This whole “new” and “last” Beatles thing just doesn't feel right to me.

With that said, I do like the new recording, if I see it in isolation only as a new piece of music.

Lars

1 hour ago, Lars68 said:

The more I hear this song and think about it, the more it bothers me that the original demo wasn't just cleaned up using modern technology and released unaltered, as a JOHN LENNON song. This whole “new” and “last” Beatles thing just doesn't feel right to me.

With that said, I do like the new recording, if I see it in isolation only as a new piece of music.

Lars

Here’s a good spoof version.

QM aka “ Jazzman” Jeff

• Confused 1

A lot of artists have substantially burned out for me, but a very few special ones remain in my orbit. That includes the Beatles. I can still be moved by 'Across the Universe' and ' A day in the Life' but such songs have taken residence in my head. I don't need to listen to them via speakers or phones.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Larsongs said:

How about Rubber Soul & Revolver versions.. It’s all too much… Pun intended..

Revolver's already out - Rubber Soul is in the mold. Well, I like the old mixes refreshed/mastered. New mixes are risky territory - and the Fab-camp knows it. Because of that they most of the time appear to be acceptable. Some of them reveal new details on the tracks, , , slightly different  possibilities. And sure, the latter is dangerous and must be restricted/prohibited in the future. .