Gibson Brands Forums

Go ahead and....

Yes. I think Ceptorman's right. Habitual phrases that have become redundant by overuse.

In the north of England is a phrase to precede a statement; " As it happens..." eg: As it happens the delivery never turned up.

It should mean "it transpires that..." but again overuse has made it superfluous.

Have not heard it for a while, but the one that used to bug me was the appendage "... do you know what I mean?" or "... do you know what I'm saying?". It usually got shortened to "d'gnome sane?". 

45 minutes ago, merciful-evans said:

Yes. I think Ceptorman's right. Habitual phrases that have become redundant by overuse.

In the north of England is a phrase to precede a statement; " As it happens..." eg: As it happens the delivery never turned up.

It should mean "it transpires that..." but again overuse has made it superfluous.

Have not heard it for a while, but the one that used to bug me was the appendage "... do you know what I mean?" or "... do you know what I'm saying?". It usually got shortened to "d'gnome sane?". 

Quite a few phrases that bug me.....LIKE.....and TO BE COMPLETELY HONEST WITH YOU. I hate that one.

14 hours ago, merciful-evans said:

That's pronounced ja-naaaart-ameen  and is a sure sign of a complete moron. 

To me, at least, it means there is something I shouldn't do, or don't want to do...but I'm going to do it anyway.

if you look at all the examples given, that's pretty much the way the phrase is used.

Distinguishing the difference from saying "I'm going to the store"; "I don't want to go, but I'm going to go ahead and go to the store."

At least that's the way I use the phrase.

20 hours ago, DanvillRob said:

To me, at least, it means there is something I shouldn't do, or don't want to do...but I'm going to do it anyway.

if you look at all the examples given, that's pretty much the way the phrase is used.

Distinguishing the difference from saying "I'm going to the store"; "I don't want to go, but I'm going to go ahead and go to the store."

At least that's the way I use the phrase.

I'm pretty much only exposed to this in customer service settings where the person is doing what I have requested they do. If that's what it means I'll be hanging up and calling another company in future. [lol]

Edited by Farnsbarns

I moved to southern Louisiana around 1982 and had an old Chevy 1/2 ton pickup with a full length ladder rack (front bumper to the rear) that was custom built. Me and a friend were doing construction sub-contracting and were totally new to the area.

We were sitting in a bar one afternoon and a guy comes in the front door and yelled "Who's that blue truck for?"

We looked at each other like he was speaking Russian. WTF did that mean? We eventually figured it out. He wanted to know who owned the blue truck, and later was asking about my custom rack.

I learned to love Cajun slang and even married one...

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

My pet peeve is when politicians are being interviewed and say "Let me be clear...."   and then go off and around and never touch on any semblance of an answer.  

A politician dodging the issue and deflecting? Say it isn’t so. And now back to more taxes.

4 hours ago, badbluesplayer said:

I worked with a guy who used to start everything he said with "Whaddyacallit."  He'd be like "What do you call it, did you see the ladder?"  "Whaddyacallit, I'm getting some coffee."  "Whaddyacallit, see you tomorrow."

We called him Whaddyacallit. 

bbp,

"He'd be like...."?

Did you mean " He'd say"?

Just wondering.

RBSinTo