Gibson Brands Forums

Go ahead and....

Not attacking anyone, just curious. 

I've noticed a lot of our USAian friends inserting the three words "go ahead and" in any sentence involving an action. 

What's its value? Does it add something subtle I'm just not picking up on? 

When I hear it it's always (to me) completely redundant. 

I'm going to buy this. 

I'm going to go ahead and buy this. 

I'll send you one

I'll go ahead and send you one. 

Maybe my examples are stupid because I don't get what it adds. Can anyone enlighten me? 

Edited by Farnsbarns

I think that "go ahead and" is a regional or colloquial thing here in the States.

Just as different people from a variety of locations call their bubbly beverage "pop" versus "soda" versus the all-purpose "coke".

In my own experience, "go ahead and" is used whenever there's an uncertainty at the foundation of the discussion.

Examples:
"Man oh man. I really hate going to the dentist. It's frightful for me. But this molar is really starting to hurt."

"Look, go ahead and go to the dentist. Get it over with, and you'll feel better."

or,

"You know, you are really getting on my nerves.  I think I might just kick your @ss."

"Well, go ahead and do it then. Don't talk about it, big boy. Just go ahead and give it your best shot."

even,

"Oh wow, they have pineapple pizza here. I have never tried it. What do you think I should do?"

"I think you should go ahead and get that notion out of your head right now. Pineapple on a pizza is a crime against man and God!"

🙂

10 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

I think that "go ahead and" is a regional or colloquial thing here in the States.

Just as different people from a variety of locations call their bubbly beverage "pop" versus "soda" versus the all-purpose "coke".

In my own experience, "go ahead and" is used whenever there's an uncertainty at the foundation of the discussion.

Examples:
"Man oh man. I really hate going to the dentist. It's frightful for me. But this molar is really starting to hurt."

"Look, go ahead and go to the dentist. Get it over with, and you'll feel better."

or,

"You know, you are really getting on my nerves.  I think I might just kick your @ss."

"Well, go ahead and do it then. Don't talk about it, big boy. Just go ahead and give it your best shot."

even,

"Oh wow, they have pineapple pizza here. I have never tried it. What do you think I should do?"

"I think you should go ahead and get that notion out of your head right now. Pineapple on a pizza is a crime against man and God!"

🙂

I'd love that to be it, but what inspired this question was talking to a man in San Francisco yesterday. He worked in a company providing me a service, let's call them Wrote-it. 

He said, "I'll go ahead and get your details up", "I'll go ahead and update that address for you", "I'll go ahead and pass you over to support  now". 

I just kept thinking these sentences don't seem to change at all, with or without those words, I wonder if it's just habit, or has some subtle effect on the sentence that I just don't get. I've noticed it a lot before but this guy in particular must have gone ahead about 5 times in a short conversation. I actually found it mildly irritating 🤣😜

Edited by Farnsbarns

29 minutes ago, Ceptorman said:

I think it's their way of interjecting phrases that they're comfortable with. I know a lot of Italians use the phrase "for sure", even when it's not needed. It's probably a habit after a while.

I'm Italian, I never used that phrase and that's for sure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ceptorman said:

I think it's their way of interjecting phrases that they're comfortable with. I know a lot of Italians use the phrase "for sure", even when it's not needed. It's probably a habit after a while.

31 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

Interesting. To me, "for sure" would tell me whatever was just said was felt unambiguously. I can't draw a line from that to "go ahead and" which somehow doesn't connect for me. I felt like saying skip the going ahead, get straight to the thing. [confused]

3 hours ago, Farnsbarns said:

He said, "I'll go ahead and get your details up", "I'll go ahead and update that address for you".....

I think it adds some imminence.  "I'll update that address for you" doesn't say WHEN.  If you add "I'll go ahead and do it," it (sort of) carries the implication that I'll do it immediately.  Kind of the same as saying "I'll proceed to do that." 

• Like 1

In my neck of the woods we add:

”I’m gonna haul right off and…”

or

”I’m gonna draw right off and…”

Picture an old western movie where, in the fist fights at the saloon, someone will draw their fist back before striking someone in the jaw. Should be obvious but maybe not. It just adds a little “I’m serious about getting this done” seasoning to the intended action. 

Another one I might add to the END of the proposed action proclamation is “right in front of God and everyone”, lending an even more layer of gravitas and resolve.

(getting up off the couch)

”I’m gonna go haul right off and  take a leak and then get another beer, right in front of God n everyone.”

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, gearbasher said:

Is Italian or English your first language? Fluent in both? I've noticed this from Italians that are forced to learn English. It's in an interview session for Italians in world class  racing where the interviews are in English. French, German, and Spaniards do not use this term, but practically all of the Italian racers did. 

2 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

Is Italian or English your first language? Fluent in both? I've noticed this from Italians that are forced to learn English. It's in an interview session for Italians in world class  racing where the interviews are in English. French, German, and Spaniards do not use this term, but practically all of the Italian racers did. 

Actually, I can't speak a word of Italian (other than a few choice phrases). Being born and raised in Brooklyn, many people say that I can't speak English either. My parents and one of my grandparents were born in the U.S. All my other ancestor are from Italy and Sicily. I'm as American as one can get. I just couldn't resist the pun.

I do remember my father's aunt (my grand aunt? great aunt?) who was "off the boat", would always end every sentence with "you know", whenever she spoke English. As kids, my siblings and I always thought her accent sounded more Irish than Italian."

Edited by gearbasher
  • Like 1

"Go ahead" is what is says.  It follows an implied understanding.  "I'm going to go ahead and do it" follows some prior discussion or understanding of what "do it" is.

You don't say "Go ahead and poke yourself in the eye" unless you just talked about poking yourself in the eye.  If you hadn't talked about it yet, you'd say "poke yourself in the eye."

People who say "Go ahead and..." without any previous discussion of the topic usually have some kind of chip on their shoulder that makes them lash out.

If you need any other insights about why Americans do stuff that's crazy, just ask.  I have to live with this sh!t, lol.

When I was stationed in Germany, I fell in with some Artillery Lieutenants who were real tight buddies.
They had all been to the Basic Course together, and flight training as well, back at Fort Sill.

They had this thing they all said, that I had never heard before.  "Yeah it is!"

"It sure is a beautiful day, LT."
"Yeah it is!!"

"Man oh man, Pat. Your hoopty is starting to rust thru."
"Yeah it is!!"

"This bier is really good."
"Yeah it is!!"
"You want another one?"
"Yeah I do!!"
"You're gonna get drunk and spend the night on my couch again, aren't you?"
"Yeah I am!!"

🤨

Edited by sparquelito

Many of these words and short phrases are just conversational "garnish".

"So...", "Right?",  "No problem.", "See?", "Awesome!", " I'm like...", "He's like...", "She's like...", "They're like...", and so on.

Uhfortuately, they have become unconciously habitual and overused by many today.

Very annoying,  but otherwise harmless.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo

On 11/22/2023 at 3:33 PM, badbluesplayer said:

"Go ahead" is what is says.  It follows an implied understanding.  "I'm going to go ahead and do it" follows some prior discussion or understanding of what "do it" is.

You don't say "Go ahead and poke yourself in the eye" unless you just talked about poking yourself in the eye.  If you hadn't talked about it yet, you'd say "poke yourself in the eye."

People who say "Go ahead and..." without any previous discussion of the topic usually have some kind of chip on their shoulder that makes them lash out.

If you need any other insights about why Americans do stuff that's crazy, just ask.  I have to live with this sh!t, lol.

You might regret that offer. 🤣