Gibson Brands Forums

Hot Rods

Larsongs

I couldn't partake in the hot-rod phase much as a teenager because I was gigging biker bars at age 17, I had to haul amps and p.a. gear and it was the 70's so the obvious answer most of the time was a van. But I never had a really nice one, all my expendable money went to gear, girls, beer and stuff.

I do, however remember this being true...

f4GjdP6.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Murph I took my truck in for an oil change yesterday and there was a guy about my age or younger who apparently had his Mercedes towed there with a flat tire. The mechanic installed the spare and told him the replacement would arrive tomorrow. 

imagine not knowing how to install a spare tire. Holy **** I feel old. It takes about 3 minutes with the emergency kit

From 1990 to 1992 my 'fun summer car' was a 1949 Oldsmobile. I sold it in the fall of 1992 for $1000 and drove it to the guy's house. Over the next few years it got painted again, reupholstered, and it went from 43000 miles to 61000. Last registered in 2006. It ended up in the collection of a local car collector. I discovered it because my son in law worked for him for a while. He developed dementia and his family is in the process or has already sold off his collection. I bought the Olds back for $3000 last fall. At the same time I financed a 1940 Studebaker Commander for my daughter so she could have an old car too... I had sold my '57 Bel Air to my son in law a while back. The Oldsmobile is legal to drive but I don't go far with it... it still has the same tires I put on it in 1990! In fact, my suicide knob and fuzzy dice were still in it, along with some Lucky Strike non filter butts in the ash tray. All that's missing is the Colt 45 16 ounce cans.

This pic is from 1992:

kRoCUI7.jpg

This pic is from about 2017 when it was re-discovered:

JDIHUkn.jpg

And once I got it home:

4fLPXLc.jpg

• Like 3

Yes, barely - one cylinder keeps cutting out.

I think I paid $1200, they keys were taken away from the previous owner as he was hitting the side of the garage trying to back up.

My first car was the fun one, a 67 Mustang with a 289, puke green with a blue front panel for $400.  That thing could do some serious burnouts!

I never owned a hot rod.
Or a muscle car.

I think I always knew my limitations.
I'm a good auto mechanic and motorcycle mechanic, but I'm not a tough guy.
I go to bed at nine pm.
I'm up at four am.
And I put sweet-creamy creamers in my coffee instead of drinking it straight black.

I don't chain smoke Salems while cleaning spark plugs with fully leaded gasoline.
You get the picture.
I'm kind of a candy-a$$.

But I admired Jeff Beck.
As I admire you hot rod owners and wrench-turners.

God speed to you.

🥲

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, ksdaddy said:

From 1990 to 1992 my 'fun summer car' was a 1949 Oldsmobile. I sold it in the fall of 1992 for $1000 and drove it to the guy's house. Over the next few years it got painted again, reupholstered, and it went from 43000 miles to 61000. Last registered in 2006. It ended up in the collection of a local car collector. I discovered it because my son in law worked for him for a while. He developed dementia and his family is in the process or has already sold off his collection. I bought the Olds back for $3000 last fall. At the same time I financed a 1940 Studebaker Commander for my daughter so she could have an old car too... I had sold my '57 Bel Air to my son in law a while back. The Oldsmobile is legal to drive but I don't go far with it... it still has the same tires I put on it in 1990! In fact, my suicide knob and fuzzy dice were still in it, along with some Lucky Strike non filter butts in the ash tray. All that's missing is the Colt 45 16 ounce cans.

This pic is from 1992:

kRoCUI7.jpg

This pic is from about 2017 when it was re-discovered:

JDIHUkn.jpg

And once I got it home:

4fLPXLc.jpg

That Olds is 'over-the-moon-cool'!

13 hours ago, gearbasher said:

Here's my baby. Not a hot rod, but it took every spare minute I had for 3 years to get it to look like this. I did everything but spray the paint.

WJPdo8M.png

I had a yellow Volvo like that.. Fun Car til the Engine blew up! It was my first attempt at rebuilding Engines.. It lasted a few months & blew up again! 

My first Car was a 1952 Ford with a Flathead V-8 & a 3 speed on the Column.. I got it when I was 16 right after I got my License.. I drove it like I stole it! After about 5-6 months it blew up.

I intended to rebuild it but ended up buying a really cool 1957 Ford Custom 300 Coupe.. 292 C.I. V-8, Holley 4 barrel Carb, Hurst floor a shift, Black Tuck n Roll interior & Chrome Wheels.. Somewhere I have Pics. I’ll try to find some..

I drove it til I went in the Army.. I sold it to my younger brother.. He sold it when he went in the Army.. I’d love to find it & buy it back..

Then I got a 55 Chevy when I was in the Army that I didn’t get to keep very long as I got Orders to Vietnam.

Since then I’ve had a lot of Cars & Trucks. I’m as obsessed with Cars as I am with Guitars!

Currently I have a Black 2005 Chevy Corvette which is a blast to drive & take to Shows.. 

I have never owned a 32 Ford Hot Rod but I want one! They still fascinate me! I’m still that 16 year old kid at heart!

Edited by Larsongs

34 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

I had a yellow Volvo like that.. Fun Car til the Engine blew up! It was my first attempt at rebuilding Engines.. It lasted a few months & blew up again! 

Was it a B-18? Those engines are indestructible. I don't know how you did it. The Volvo I had before this one was rotting out and not worth saving. I tried to blow the engine, going over red line in low gears. I couldn't do it.

I ended up pulling the engine when I scrapped the car. I had plans work on it. But it sat, untouched, in my basement for about 25 years. I just got rid of it when I moved to a new place in Feb.

Edited by gearbasher

8 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

My first Car was a 1952 Ford with a Flathead V-8 & a 3 speed on the Column.. I got it when I was 16 right after I got my License.. I drove it like I stole it! After about 5-6 months it blew up.

I intended to rebuild it but ended up buying a really cool 1957 Ford Custom 300 Coupe.. 292 C.I. V-8, Holley 4 barrel Carb, Hurst floor a shift, Black Tuck n Roll interior & Chrome Wheels.. Somewhere I have Pics. I’ll try to find some..

I drove it til I went in the Army.. I sold it to my younger brother.. He sold it when he went in the Army.. I’d love to find it & buy it back..

Then I got a 55 Chevy when I was in the Army that I didn’t get to keep very long as I got Orders to Vietnam.

Since then I’ve had a lot of Cars & Trucks. I’m as obsessed with Cars as I am with Guitars!

Currently I have a Black 2005 Chevy Corvette which is a blast to drive & take to Shows.. 

I have never owned a 32 Ford Hot Rod but I want one! They still fascinate me! I’m still that 16 year old kid at heart!

My Brother-In-Law (who just gave my son his dad's Lincoln); built a chopped '51 Ford....he calls it "Rocky".

He gave all his cars & hot rods away as he is now 77 and bed-ridden with MS....."Rocky" went to his step-son.....if I owned it,  I wouldn't change a thing....just drive it!

Open photo

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, DanvillRob said:

My Brother-In-Law (who just gave my son his dad's Lincoln); built a chopped '51 Ford....he calls it "Rocky".

He gave all his cars & hot rods away as he is now 77 and bed-ridden with MS....."Rocky" went to his step-son.....if I owned it,  I wouldn't change a thing....just drive it!

Open photo

I wouldn’t change anything either.. Just enjoy Cruising in it.. That’s cool! I should’ve done something like that with my 52..

Edited by Larsongs
  • Like 1

There's something about the hot rod scene that I like. It's unabashed craziness. Until more recently the British (European, perhaps?) car modding scene was about power and handling with the utilitarian race look being a natural result, and while I think my tastes still lie in that direction,  I often look more than twice at a hot rod. 

I have no idea what these youngsters today are doing to modern cars. Ridiculous camber that would utterly destroy handling, too low to operate properly and "tuned" (read, reprogrammed) to burn fuel unnecessarily on the over run for a few pops and bangs. They seem to be hell bent on ruining cars.

13 hours ago, gearbasher said:

I always loved the '66 Charger. Best looking year.

Ya. There pretty nice.    I know mine are not hot rods.     But they are original   I have a couple more. But Ill wait till others show theres.  

Certainly glad not a lot of photos because I still cannot post. Like Murf, I had a 67 Barracuda for a graduation present in 70. I drove it on the streets for awhile, then gutted it out turning it into a race car on the NHRA. It was my learning curve. It had a tunnel ram, 2 Hollie 4 barrel carburetors  and the whole nine yards. My 2nd race car was a 67 Camaro which I raced in bracket racing.  It did well. Then I wanted to go all out. Some gals had a 71 Dodge Colt that was vandalized. It was stripped out, no seats and so forth. I offered them cash for scrap. Then I finished stripping it down. sold the engine and parts. I had Arrow Dynamics put a tube chassis in it and a 12 point roll cage, all 2130 Chrome Molly steal. Fiberglas parts, and aluminun floor and interior. Plexiglass windows in it. The car weighed 2,060 pounds with me in it. It was built on the bassist's as a Pro Stock. I raced it at Scribner in the 70's and the car was points leader then. Scribner had a low index at that time for Pro Gas which is the classic I raced in. It won first place several times in shows and at the track. It was gorgeous. Oh and all chevy powered although I had other motors for it including a HEMI. It would run 8 seconds flat with a 350 engine I had for it. But with Scribner's slow index, I ran a half second or more faster than the competition. We called the engine in it our junk engine. Lol