Gibson Brands Forums

Francis Scott Key Bridge collapsed!

saturn

The bridge is part of I-695 Beltway which circles Baltimore.  I could get on at Exit 1, cross the Key Bridge and if I didn't get off, be back where I started in 1-2 hours depending on traffic.  My gig commutes are gonna get worse, I know that. For about all my band gigs, I would either go 695 East or West.  East will no longer be an option for a long time. 

• Confused 1

25 minutes ago, saturn said:

Now I'm waiting for the conspiracy theories to start. 🙄

Here is mine. You said a ship hit it. I'll take your word on that. But it could be aliens? 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

One of my neighbors works at the habor, I'll have to ask him what's he doing to those ships, isn't he supposed to be guiding them or something?

News reports indicate the ship lost power before the collision, they sent  out a call to close the bridge, dropped the anchor but it was too late.

• Like 1

(I posted this on a similar thread on the forum a few min. ago)

I have heard multiple people, including the President, talking about using an Emergency fund (tax dollars), and what ever other required public funds (tax dollars) to replace the bridge and re-open the shipping lanes. 

WAIT A MINUTE! Based on the video showing the ships lights going off, and then on, and then off again, this was a mechanical failure of the ship's propulsion system/power plant. Weather was calm, (no wind), and visibility was  clear. The pilot was a local "Harbor Master" mandated by law to pilot these ships in and out of this harbor. If this was a issue with the ship, don't they have insurance??? If my brakes fail, and my car slams into something, I am at fault and my State mandated automobile insurance covers most if not all of the damage I caused, (save for my deductible.). 

Despite the ship being registered in Singapore, it was Chartered by Maersk, the second largest shipping company on the planet, just behind MSC.  Maersk is the maritime division of Denmark's A.P. Moeller-Maersk A/S, a global leader in container shipping and port management. A.P Moller-Maersk annual net income for 2022 was $29.198 BILLION. A.P Moller-Maersk net income for the twelve months ending September 30, 2023 was $9.208 Billion. Ultimately, Maersk owes the US/Maryland THE ENTIRE COST OF REPLACING THE BRIDGE, THE "ECONOMIC LOSSES" ASSOCIATED WITH THIS EVENT,  THE CLEAN-UP COSTS, THE EMERGENCY RESPONSE COSTS, AND MAERSK IS LIABLE FOR THE LOSS OF LIFE AND INJURIES THIS EVENT CAUSED!!! Maersk (and/or their insurer) can sue the ships owner separately, if they choose.

US TAX PAYERS SHOULD NOT BE LIABLE FOR ONE PENNY OF THE COSTS ASSOCIATED WITH THIS ACCIDENT.    If I have to carry State mandated minimum levels of auto liability insurance to drive my car(s), Maersk and other shippers need to as well, (especially after seeing how a single ship wreck can result in billions of dollars in costs!) 

• Like 2

The government will probably get the project going and then apply the insurance payment towards the costs.

If it's anything like the bridge repairs in PA, this is going to take years to complete.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

They really packed that one, didn't they?

It was going to Sri Lanka, it reminds me of those photos from India where a whole family is crammed onto a motorcycle.

That harbor is an interesting place, I spent an afternoon there shipping a motorcycle to Norway.  Mountains of John Deere equipment waiting to be exported, sports cars, all sorts of stuff.

1 hour ago, SteveFord said:

They really packed that one, didn't they?

It was going to Sri Lanka, it reminds me of those photos from India where a whole family is crammed onto a motorcycle.

That harbor is an interesting place, I spent an afternoon there shipping a motorcycle to Norway.  Mountains of John Deere equipment waiting to be exported, sports cars, all sorts of stuff.

When I was in P I, I remember seeing a motorcycle with at least five people on it and probably a large stack of rice too.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

On 3/27/2024 at 8:52 AM, SteveFord said:

The government will probably get the project going and then apply the insurance payment towards the costs.

If it's anything like the bridge repairs in PA, this is going to take years to complete.

This. If we wait for the insurance claims to be worked out, it will sit there for 3 years. 

It is being reported that the "race baters" are now starting to question Francis Scott Keys legacy as they are bringing up his families ownership of slaves as well as remarks he's made about the inferiority of blacks.  It sure didn't take long.  How unfortunate that people can't let things be. 

It wasn't problematic when they originally built the bridge. Now, it's an issue.

Edited by Californiaman
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Californiaman said:

It is being reported that the "race baters" are now starting to question Francis Scott Keys legacy as they are bringing up his families ownership of slaves as well as remarks he's made about the inferiority of blacks.  It sure didn't take long.  How unfortunate that people can't let things be. 

It wasn't problematic when they originally built the bridge. Now, it's an issue.

So the US was the only country to ever have slavery? Not by a long shot.

I wonder what the Egyptians who built the pyramids for the Pharaoh were paid? Oh, that’s right they were slaves they got nothing. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

So the US was the only country to ever have slavery? Not by a long shot.

I wonder what the Egyptians who built the pyramids for the Pharaoh were paid? Oh, that’s right they were slaves they got nothing. 

Actually the Egyptian pyramids were built by a skilled working class and they were compensated. 

The race bating I hear is coming from other circles trying to tie the accident to DEI .    

Edited by saturn
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, saturn said:

Actually the Egyptian pyramids were built by a skilled working class and they were compensated. 

The race bating I hear is coming from other circles trying to tie the accident to DEI .    

Nah. They were built by aliens.  Illegal probably.  From another galaxy.  Flown in by the Pharo.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Nah. They were built by aliens.  Illegal probably.  From another galaxy.  Flown in by the Pharo.   

Instead of payment the aliens were told they can show up unannounced in theirs  saucers and do rectal exams on any farmer that has a corn field.

If the flying saucer is such a great design how come NASA is not using it?

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

3 hours ago, saturn said:

That is one of many theories. Nobody knows for sure who built them, or if, or how, they were compensated. Heck, they still are not sure WHY they were even built. Only theories.

46 minutes ago, brad1 said:

That is one of many theories. Nobody knows for sure who built them, or if, or how, they were compensated. Heck, they still are not sure WHY they were even built. Only theories.

So the Grateful Dead could go and play there during an eclipse. 

I have a live cd/dvd on what is called Rockin The Cradle : Egypt 1978.  The album that got released was awful. I bought it for the dvd. The packaging is impressive. Donna was still in the band. Her husband was a damn fine keys player. 

Edited by Sgt. Pepper