Get the vintage pickguard, at any price
And you will the boss of Tone by morning

fin

I’m gonna shut up now. 

😔

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, SteveFord said:

Of course it's in the plastics.

It says right there on the little plastic knob: TONE.

That's why Telecasters sound so metallic, they have metal knobs.  

lol ... you are truly a wise sage

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, fortyearspickn said:

I've got an amp with a volume dial that goes from 1 all the way up to 11.  It is  much louder than those that only go 1 -  10.   

My Fender DeVille actually went from 1 - 12. It’s how Fender made it. It wast me being a wise guy. I think they still make em like that.

On those at 4 it was like a Motörhead concert.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, gearbasher said:

I think someone should try to contact fujifan and inform him of this revelation.

That was an interesting chapter in the history of this forum. Spirited debate.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Is it possible for strings to change tone? I bought a pair of Thomastik round wounds in .010-.044's. and can hear much more sustain than the guitar ever had before. So I purchased two more sets of Flat wounds and both guitars never had the sustain or tone they have now. Expensive strings though. Close to 30.00 a pair. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Retired said:

Is it possible for strings to change tone? I bought a pair of Thomastik round wounds in .010-.044's. and can hear much more sustain than the guitar ever had before. So I purchased two more sets of Flat wounds and both guitars never had the sustain or tone they have now. Expensive strings though. Close to 30.00 a pair. 

Oh yes.   Plenty of tone in new strings; you get what you pay for with strings IMO, cheapies go dead much quicker.   The prices have gone up a lot in the last few years.

Also the different materials; I buy pure nickel at the moment.   I want to buy some chromes to hear what they sound like. 

When I tried stainless steel strings at 1st I liked them, not now though. I never liked cobalt strings at all.  A couple of times I bought Optima gold-plated strings (Brian May uses them), very loud and clangy, suit some guitars better than others, of course they lasted much longer than other strings.  I have not tried coated strings of any sort so far.

Edited by jdgm
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jdgm said:

Oh yes.   Plenty of tone in new strings; you get what you pay for with strings IMO, cheapies go dead much quicker.   The prices have gone up a lot in the last few years.

Also the different materials; I buy pure nickel at the moment.   I want to buy some chromes to hear what they sound like. 

When I tried stainless steel strings at 1st I liked them, not now though. I never liked cobalt strings at all.  A couple of times I bought Optima gold-plated strings (Brian May uses them), very loud and clangy, suit some guitars better than others, of course they lasted much longer than other strings.  I have not tried coated strings of any sort so far.

Thanks JD, Think it was you who told me they were good the first time. Yeah, I to have experimented with all types of strings. I even ordered some out of New York once to try them. I did like Nickel also. Think it was Rab's who first suggested them to me. Or maybe it was Pippy? 

But These Thomastik strings are the best I used to date. So I will stick to them plus they claim much longer use. What impressed me was my Gold Top has never had sustain before. I tried pedals and all sorts of stuff and when I put the Thomastik strings on it yesterday, it sounded almost like semi hollow.  They are long enough to put on the Riviera also.  So it's next.