Gibson Brands Forums

If There Were No Gibsons...

Hoss

...what would you play? What Acoustic guitar would you covet? (And what would Fred do with all the time that he currently spends thinking about Gibson guitars?)

I think I might have a look at Huss and Dalton. I played their AJ large soundhole slope last week at a music store in New England. I like the H&D sound and vibe. Lots of midrange.

Collings makes a small deep box on spec for Acoustic Music that's real nice. Sort of like an L00. But they ain't cheap.

The more I think about this, I can't imagine a world without Gibson. I don't think Ol Hoss would want to live in such a place.:-k

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ol' Hoss pulled up a stump and wistfully wrote:

...what would you play? What Acoustic guitar would you covet? (And what would Fred do with all the time that he currently spends thinking about Gibson guitars?)

I think I might have a look at Huss and Dalton. I played their AJ large soundhole slope last week at a music store in New England. I like the H&D sound and vibe. Lots of midrange.

Collings makes a small deep box on spec for Acoustic Music that's real nice. Sort of like an L00. But they ain't cheap.

The more I think about this' date=' I can't imagine a world without Gibson. I don't think Ol Hoss would want to live in such a place.=D>

[/quote']

Yikes! I think that, since ol' Mr. Sun has been out in the Northwest more than three days now, poor ol' Hoss is gettin a bit philosophical on us, pardners! (This happens sometimes during these dry and sunny spells..)

The better philosphosizing question would be: What if there were no sunburst guitars, what THEN?!

Now there's a worrisome thought!

The better philosphosizing question would be: What if there were no sunburst guitars' date=' what THEN?!

Now there's a worrisome thought![/quote']

Oh man you better retract that before Jannusguy get's in on this thread! It might put him in a coma!

Hoss.... I would just quietly play my Taylor and still have plenty of fun, but I would sure miss having Gibson's around....

My '98 Seagull S-6 cedar. It's already here, it was $100, it's already banged up, and a new replacement is a few hundred bucks.

I dig Ovation Academys too, on the rare occasion they show up.

Bottom line, I would go for the cheapest bare bones guitar that did the job. I would be so sick about not having Gibson around I would have a hard time thinking about any other "A Grade" guitars.

I have never seen one of those. Nice find!

She looks to be a steel string. Or does it go both ways?

I believe the KA-17 is meant for either steel or nylon. I owned one last month but flipped it. It didn't have the tone of my KA-14:

Academy

Alyson Hannigan played a dork chick in American Pie and she turned out to be a Super Freak once given a chance.... well, that's kinda the same deal with this guitar.

...what would you play?

I guess I'd go with a Kalamazoo, Kel Kroydon, Cromwell, or Oriole. Maybe a select Ambassador, Capital, Carson Robison, Coast Wholesale, Fascinator, Francis Day & Hunter, Grinnell, Haydon, Liberty, Mason, Mastertone, Mitchell Brothers, Old Kraftsman, Paynes, Recording King, Reznick Radio, Spiegel, S.S. Stewart, Tex Star, Trujo, Ward, Washburn, or Werlein Leader. Something like that.

-- Bob R

I'd play a Martin OM18v Vintage Series. I owned one a couple of years ago and it was stunning, in fact.

But I sold it because when I nick the end of my finger on a string-end whilst changing a set, I bleed Gibson.

At the end of the day, it's all about the Gibson tone, neck, responsiveness and mojo, and as nice as that OM18v was, it didn't have any if those things.

However, that or an Atkin Small Jumbo in RW would be my second choice, had Orville never been born.

Archived