Gibson Brands Forums

If There Were No Gibsons...

Hoss

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I'd go with a Kalamazoo' date=' Kel Kroydon, Cromwell, or Oriole. Maybe a select Ambassador, Capital, Carson Robison, Coast Wholesale, Fascinator, Francis Day & Hunter, Grinnell, Haydon, Liberty, Mason, Mastertone, Mitchell Brothers, Old Kraftsman, Paynes, Recording King, Reznick Radio, Spiegel, S.S. Stewart, Tex Star, Trujo, Ward, Washburn, or Werlein Leader. Something like that.

-- Bob R[/quote']

Bob,

Do you know of an authoritive source that lists all the different marques Gibson manufactured, what years, and which models? To your knowledge, has something like that ever been compiled?

Red 333

Do you know of an authoritive source that lists all the different marques Gibson manufactured' date=' what years, and which models? To your knowledge, has something like that ever been compiled?[/quote']

As far as I know, there is no definitive list of all the brands that Gibson manufactured guitars under in the '30s. Seems like the list gets extended every once in awhile as old guitars find their way into the hands of an expert (e.g., George Gruhn) who figures out that they're Gibson-built.

I wonder whether it would be possible to compile one by examining the shipping records? Sounds like a nice research project for someone.

-- Bob R

I dig Ovation Academys too' date=' on the rare occasion they show up.[/quote']

KSD. I saw one in a window in Denmark St last week but didn't stop to have a good look at it. I will do next time I'm passing - so you recommend I trade the SWD for it? It looked in good nick.

If no Gibsons then my first stop would be the high end Yamahas and Martin.

Electrics - easy - Fender Strat, then a Yamaha SG2000.

What's interesting to me about SOME of these responses--- the guitars SOME of you have mentioned sound nothing like a Gibson.

So I have to assume that SOME of you are into your Gibsons for their looks rather than tone. Yes???

I have a few other guitars I like, but nothing with the combination of tone, midrange, punch, dryness that pops out of my Gibbys.

{snip}

So I have to assume that SOME of you are into your Gibsons for their looks rather than tone. Yes???

{snip}

Not so much for me. Don't get me wrong, aesthetics are a part of it, just as tone and playability are a part of it.

For me though, a big part of it is what it says to me while it is in my hands. Not sure if that makes sense. Sometimes a guitar will just speak to you. From crappy guitars, to really great guitars. They all tend to say something to me when I pick them up. Some mumble, some whisper, some just kind of sit in your hands and say huh?, and some just scream. It's a combination of all factors. The gut feeling goes a long way.

Yes sorry Hoss - don't mean to hijack.

To answer your looks over tone point, to be honest I wouldn't know. I've played a couple of Martins which were OK, and a couple of Taylors I did like. I'm a lifelong Yamaha player (trombone, keyboards, piano, guitars) so that's why my search would start with this brand.

The problem is that there are far too many to try and not enough time for me to get to know what I like and don't like. It would be a fun journey though.

So, come on, which in your opinion would be closest to a Gibson?

What's interesting to me about SOME of these responses--- the guitars SOME of you have mentioned sound nothing like a Gibson.

I have a few other guitars I like' date=' but nothing with the combination of tone, midrange, punch, dryness that pops out of my Gibbys. [/quote']

Hmmmm, not me. I bought Magic because the sound blew me away. She just happened to be gorgeous too!

Maybe I wasn't answering the question right in the first place. Every single Collings I've ever heard sounded amazing to me. But, I've never actually played one, so have no idea if it would be a good fit for me or not. I believe the nut width on most is 1 3/4, so I may find it too big for my liking. But, I'd certainly give them a shot. So I'm really answering the question "what would you try or seek out if you couldn't have a Gibson".

I've played Taylors, Martins, larrivees, and have not found one that really did it for me. I have played a few Alvarez Yairis that I really liked so that might be another one I'd seriously consider.

See, in the place where I live there is no big choise of guitars...

Basicly I like very much my Yamaha and looking here in the shops and playing on Waldens, Corts, Yahamas, Hohners - welll - nothing, NONTHING even gets near to the look and THE SOUND of the only one Gibson I'we ever heared - M-R GIBS.

This topic was really usefull to me - now I know that there are so many american acoustic guitars.

I get the COllings thing-- It seems to me that they are more in line with Martin's aesthetics, but I can see where they would work for a Gibson substitute. I do like the 'dry' quality of their sound.

Sub- that's a beautiful Collings Slope! Dusty Strings has a couple- including a used one- that I always admire when I'm in the store.

OK, my 2c ;)

Acoustics - Huss and Dalton, Collings but, first and foremost, a Patrick James Eggle Kanuga.

Electrics - Gretsch Country Gentleman, DuoJet or Rickenbacker 360. I don't suppose I could get away with a Heritage, could I? ;)

If seeking a new guitar - a Terraplane steel body resonator.

After that probably something I played around with a long time back - an Oscar Schmidt-made Stella. Would get me a big box 12 string, remove the three lower octave strings and have a new nut cut so I could play a pounding bass line and get some real thick and full chords on on the high end. One of these is still on my radar - Gibsons or no Gibsons.

few guitars match

the combination of tone' date=' midrange, punch, dryness that pops out of my Gibbys. [/quote']

Word. Not to knock the others but done of them match that Gibson midrange honk. A very distinct thing. Oh, and the alternative? A national reso, maybe. Maybe an M series Martin -that thin/wide body makes fora more compressed tone. Still, nothing like a Gibby.

few guitars match

Word. Not to knock the others but done of them match that Gibson midrange honk. A very distinct thing. Oh' date=' and the alternative? A national reso, maybe. Maybe an M series Martin -that thin/wide body makes fora more compressed tone. Still, nothing like a Gibby.[/quote']

I think you'll find the Breedlove similarities surprising.

Hmmmm' date=' not me. I bought Magic because the sound blew me away. She just happened to be gorgeous too!

Maybe I wasn't answering the question right in the first place. Every single Collings I've ever heard sounded amazing to me. But, I've never actually played one, so have no idea if it would be a good fit for me or not. I believe the nut width on most is 1 3/4, so I may find it too big for my liking. But, I'd certainly give them a shot. So I'm really answering the question "what would you try or seek out if you couldn't have a Gibson".

I've played Taylors, Martins, larrivees, and have not found one that really did it for me. I have played a few Alvarez Yairis that I really liked so that might be another one I'd seriously consider.[/quote']

GG If I am ever in Calgary Ill let you play my Collings CJ . BTW They also come mostly in 1 11/16th nut sizes!

Subu

suburude - I played a Collings CJ a few weeks ago. I was quite impressed. I think GG could play one as it felt a lot like my J-45 in terms of comfort and familiarity. Great sound too. I'm massively jealous!!!

Archived