Gibson Brands Forums

Albums that changed the future of music.

Homz

There are pivotal points in music just as there are pivotal points in history. Occasionally an album emerges that changes everything that follows it. One that jumps to my mind is the 'Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band' album by The Beatles.

What other albums can you think of.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I share your love for this album' date=' but I'm not sure it changed much in music. My favorite song on the album is "God Only Knows". [/quote']

According to McCartney, Sgt Pepper wouldn't have happened without Pet Sounds. He claims it was the Beatles attempt to rival the Beach Boys. George Martin has also said as much. Ditto "Good Vibrations," which the Beatles, like many British groups, saw as a masterpiece.

I'd add Sgt Pepper to the list (tho' I think Rubber Soul, Revolver, and the "White Album" have much stronger material, give or take 1 or 2 songs).

I'd probably add "Are you experienced?" to the list, too.

Thanks Jayla--That's what i was getting at. Then again, Brian Wilson said Pet Sounds would not have happened without Rubber Soul, so I agree with you about Rubber Soul being up there. White Album is on of my personal fav's but not sure how much it really changed things by the time it was released.

This is kind of off topic, but in 1977 at CBGBs in New York, there were quite a few bands to come out of that little club.

I think a "Place" like CBGBs had a lot to do with changing the overall music scene.

Bands like The Talking Heads, Blondie, The Ramones and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers all played CBGBs.

Scream Bloody Gore By Death. The first studio death metal ablum. Some still aruge it isnt the first....but proof shows it is.

The problem with Death Metal (to me) is that it gets lost between thrash and black metal. Too fine a line.

I have a lot of early speed' date=' tharsh and black metal stuff on vynil but I don't think I have any from Death, my best friend at the time did, I just never got into them. Gosh, I have Apocalyptic Raids from HellHammer on vynil. That takes me back.

My vote goes to [b']Appetite for Destruction[/b].

Archived