Gibson Brands Forums

Pete Rose Passed

Sgt. Pepper

In the fall of 1980 my not-quite-yet Mrs and I lived at Heather Ridge Apartments in West Deptford NJ, about 4, 5 miles from the river maybe.  Vet Stadium was another mile in on the other side of the river, little bit north too.  When McGraw struck that last guy out that night we could hear Vet Stadium from there.  Good times.

rct

38 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

Like most sports - there's always been a bit of 'insider trading' going on.  Like Shoeless Joe Jackson.  The better the player, the worse the punishment and the flimsier the evidence. 

The little guy always get the book thrown at them, while the big pigs just get a finger pointing.

3 hours ago, duane v said:

The little guy always get the book thrown at them, while the big pigs just get a finger pointing.

MJ gambled and Charles Barkley too. 

So who are these big pigs your talking about? Mr. Rose wasn’t just some run of the mill player. He holds or held records and has played and was on WS winning teams. 3, I think. Cause the damn Reds started winning after my Oakland A’s won 3 series in a row.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Even Criminals who committed the most heinous of crimes sometimes get paroled.

I always thought there was something fishy about what happened to him. Still do.

He definitely should have been reinstated at an early age & allowed to finish his Career.

Edited by Larsongs

32 minutes ago, Larsongs said:

Even Criminals who committed the most heinous of crimes sometimes get paroled.

I always thought there was something fishy about what happened to him. Still do.

He definitely should have been reinstated at an early age & allowed to finish his Career.

It's what we use to call (when I worked in healthcare)   the  fact that 99 "AttaBoys'  get wiped out by 1  'AwShyte'.    Negativity always seems to overpower good things.   Of course, - if you push back on the negativity - YOU'RE the one who gets accused of being negative !!!    Glad every day I'm out of the Rat Race !   Bet Pete is playing ball every day up there !!  Sandlot with old friends !   That's what I'd like to do !

54 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

It's what we use to call (when I worked in healthcare)   the  fact that 99 "AttaBoys'  get wiped out by 1  'AwShyte'.    Negativity always seems to overpower good things.   Of course, - if you push back on the negativity - YOU'RE the one who gets accused of being negative !!!    Glad every day I'm out of the Rat Race !   Bet Pete is playing ball every day up there !!  Sandlot with old friends !   That's what I'd like to do !

“Sandlot with old friends! That’s what I’d like to do.”  Me too. I hope I’m lucky enough to play with all those guys when get up there. 

IMO, in recent years, there have been worse (cheating) scandals in MLB than Charlie Hustle betting FOR his team to win (never against it), and those players all got a slap on the wrist. While I think he deserved to be severely sanctioned, he paid the price, and I think if the standards have changed since he was banned, then he should be held to those new standards.

He was a truly great player. I saw him play against the Dodgers multiple times, and he always gave 110%. Now that he's gone, I think he should be allowed into Cooperstown. YMMV.

RIP Pete Rose! 

42 minutes ago, Phil OKeefe said:

IMO, in recent years, there have been worse (cheating) scandals in MLB than Charlie Hustle betting FOR his team to win (never against it), and those players all got a slap on the wrist. While I think he deserved to be severely sanctioned, he paid the price, and I think if the standards have changed since he was banned, then he should be held to those new standards.

He was a truly great player. I saw him play against the Dodgers multiple times, and he always gave 110%. Now that he's gone, I think he should be allowed into Cooperstown. YMMV.

RIP Pete Rose! 

None of that matters. They wanted to make an example out of him, and they did. I remember the All Star Game when they named the 100 best players and he was there, cause they had to let him. To me our national pastime is a slow boring game where over paid men scratch their crotch, chew gum and spit sunflower sees while waiting to take the feild, or while they are on the feild.  Pete should have not shown up, other than to get under their skin.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Baseball is a great game.

Though I think it's too bad Pete put himself in that position, I do think he should be permanently banned. Just because in today's world it's more acceptable to be a complete knucklehead, and not be held accountable, doesn't mean that individuals that were being rightfully held accountable for acts they committed in the past, should automatically have their punishments diminished.

It irks the crap out of me that those that have been sentenced to death now get to spend their lives in jail on our dime. Because somebody felt that capital punishment was "inhumane." And felt the act of slaughtering another life and destroying families is somehow justifiable to a lesser punishment.

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Sgt. Pepper said:

To me our national pastime is a slow boring game where over paid men scratch their crotch, chew gum and spit sunflower sees while waiting to take the feild, or while they are on the feild. 

There's that negativity I just wrote about.    Each and every sport has devoted followers.   Some like hockey because it's fast paced and physical, some like golf.  Both require skill and finesse.   Baseball has strategy and psychology as well.   You're missing out. 

15 hours ago, duane v said:

Baseball is a great game.

Though I think it's too bad Pete put himself in that position, I do think he should be permanently banned. Just because in today's world it's more acceptable to be a complete knucklehead, and not be held accountable, doesn't mean that individuals that were being rightfully held accountable for acts they committed in the past, should automatically have their punishments diminished.

It irks the crap out of me that those that have been sentenced to death now get to spend their lives in jail on our dime. Because somebody felt that capital punishment was "inhumane." And felt the act of slaughtering another life and destroying families is somehow justifiable to a lesser punishment.

I agree.  To over-rule a sentence imposed by a jury, and contemporary judges, lawyers, etc. based on laws that existed at the time -   is to say they were ALL wrong and you know better.   Simply because you're in the 'enlightened' 21st century and they were not. And, conveniently, they're not around to argue against your countermanding their authority.   There's a difference between 'learning from history' and re-writing it to overlay your own values and opinions.   

1 hour ago, fortyearspickn said:

There's that negativity I just wrote about.    Each and every sport has devoted followers.   Some like hockey because it's fast paced and physical, some like golf.  Both require skill and finesse.   Baseball has strategy and psychology as well.   You're missing out. 

A game that is so slow in recent years there needed to be a pitch clock introduced to speed the game up or else the pitcher would shake off the catchers signs for about 15 min while chewing his cudd. 

So do you think I have never been to a BB game, or seen one on TV. I know exactally what I am missing. 

So let me get this straight, because I have an opinion and can form a though in my own head without the aid of others and since you don't agree with it, its negative. That is BS and you know it, its because its me.  

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

Wow I just read D's post. From BB to the Death Pentlay in 0 seconds flat. 

Laws change. Look at the speed limits on higway and freeways. If you got a speeding ticket when the speed limit was 55 mph and then it got changed to 70 mph, the state is not going to give everyone that got a ticket the money they paid for a fine back now are they? Cause when you got the ticket you were at that time breaking the law.

Edited by Sgt. Pepper

16 hours ago, duane v said:

Duane, your comments and opinions about Pete were fine, but please leave the political comments out of the discussion. You're certainly entitled to your POV, but this isn't the proper forum to express political opinions like these.

Thanks. 

I get that it feels like a ‘life rule,’ and I respect that view.

But when we talk about things like the death penalty or what punishments are just, those are shaped by the laws and policies that come from political decisions.

So even if it feels more like a personal or moral stance, it’s still tied to the political landscape we live in.