Gibson Brands Forums

Do you have what it takes to survive "off grid" after mom nature struts her stuff in your neighborhood?

According to Abraham Maslow, human needs are arranged in a hierarchy, with physiological (survival) needs at the bottom, and the more creative and intellectually oriented ‘self-actualization’ needs at the top. 

Our most basic need is for physical survival, and this will be the first thing that motivates our behavior. Once that level is fulfilled, the next level up is what motivates us, and so on.

The human body cannot function optimally if physiological needs are not satisfied. Maslow considered physiological needs the most important as all the other needs become secondary until these needs are met.

Once an individual’s physiological needs are satisfied, the need for security and safety becomes salient.

1. Physiological needs are biological requirements for human survival, e.g., air, food, drink, shelter, clothing, warmth, and sleep.

2. Safety needs –  people want to experience order, predictability, and control in their lives.

3. Love and belongingness needs  refers to a human emotional need for interpersonal relationships, affiliating, connectedness, and being part of a group.

Maslow, an intellectual, may have wanted to use his "Hierarchy of Needs" to focus on the potential of human cognition, but his thoughtful understanding of the requisite "needs" that predicate higher levels of human reasoning, detail the primal basics we all rely upon to simply survive.

Sadly, the recent Hurricane that decimated vast areas of Georgia, South Carolina, and surrounding areas, has illustrated the fragility of human life and that most modern technology is exponentially more fragile, [and far less reliable as a survival tool],  than most people think. Could you survive, for 30+ days, with nothing but your intellect and the recourses gathered from your surroundings?  Would you be capable of providing the basic needs that you and your loved ones require, if every possession you had was lost? Do you even know what those "needs" are, and what "the order of importance is", when attempting to procure said resources?  

It's a sure bet, that many of those who are currently in desperate need of assistance in Georgia and South Carolina, had quality stockpiles of survival equipment and supplies on hand before the storm. Yet, when  your entire home, foundation and all, is scoured from the earth by the wrath of Mother Nature, even the Pelican case devotees may have lost everything. Those lucky enough to survive the initial storm assault face natures version of, "What'cha gonna do now, b*tch?".  Most of these folks die with-in 4-5 days without outside intervention, if you are wondering.  Most succumb to "the Rule of Threes".

3 minutes without air; Fatal

3 hours without shelter/clothing [during inclimate weather] ; Fatal

3 days without water;  Fatal

3 weeks without food; Fatal

[This assumes that the individual in question is uninjured, physically fit, and is not already malnourished and/or dehydrated. Further, this assumes that any food and/or water consumed, post event, is devoid of bacterial/chemical contamination.]

Would you be able to implement the basic skills that your distant ancestors applied daily, in order to survive long enough to be rescued? Would you be able to extricate yourself, and your loved ones, from an uninhabitable area to an area of safety, without roads or modern conveyances? If you answered yes, have you actually ever existed for a week plus walking with everything you need to survive strapped to your body? Remember, you will be battling the "Rule of Threes", AND the natural predators  who see you as their next meal. Are you able to navigate only by the sun and stars? Are you capable of creating survival tools from  "found" items? Do you know what plants/berries are edible and which are poisonous? Can you build a shelter without modern tools? Can you make fire only from what nature provides you? Are your skill sets proficient enough to allow you to "survive in place", instead of using mobility to find safety. Can you think "outside of the box", and employ critical thinking to solve unexperienced problems? Have you developed a knowledge base that can be relied upon to solve atypical problems? Do you posses the positive mental attitude that will energize you to overcome anything that life throws at you? Have you every really tested yourself? Can your knowledge and experience translate into effective leadership?     

I have always considered myself as a hillbilly/country boy, simply based on my upbringing. Yet, I have lived in large urban environments that are quite opposite of the meager rural locations I am more accustomed to.  My grandparents on my Father's side, and my Father, were forced to hunt and forage, for decades, just to survive. My veteran grandfather preached self reliance, resourcefulness, frugality, education, and harmonious co-exitance with nature, [especially as an Alpha predator hunting for meals.]  We were expected to learn to be more at ease in the woods than at home. We were to learn what every sound in nature was, and what made it. We learned how to tell when animal chatter was normal, and when their language expressed distress/fear. We were taught how to exist in the natural environment in a way that would be no more disturbing to it's biological inhabitants, than one of their own. [In a practical sense, grandpa knew that it was easier to hunt and collect animal prey if they didn't run from you when you were "in their house".] Those who are relaxed and comfortable in nature, because they understand their place in it, see it's bounty while understanding it's risks. There are very few critters in nature who actually view a human as a viable meal. The few critters that do, would rarely risk attacking a human unprovoked. Apex predators are risk adverse, and they only target the weakest members of their potential prey group. They make this determination by their olfactory senses. Prey that is weak, or is in distress, produce pheromones that are perceived by predators as "fear"/defenseless signals. Yet,  potential prey, such as an injured human, [despite pheromonal "scents" exposing  said injury], can easily dissuade predators  by simply expressing an unrelentingly aggressive mental attitude, [which releases pheromones that express the same].  Similarly, a human that mentally expresses a non threatening attitude towards the multitude of wildlife they encounter in the woods, and who understands the physical behaviors that, when exhibited, further calms said wildlife, are able to exist in harmony with most of the wild creatures they encounter. More than once, I have woken in the backcountry with a snake, chipmunk, or other woodland creature cuddled up with me, enjoying the warmth my body produced. I relished these events, and sincerely hated disturbing these critters when I awoke. On Isle Royal, I had wolf bed down outside my tent, only to be scared off when I had to get out of my bag in the morning. I was blessed to have a baby moose and it's mother choose to feed on the vegetation next to my tent during the predawn/dawn hours on another day on that same trip.  They both were undoubtedly aware of my presence in my tent, since they both took time to sniff the walls of my tent, and to lick the morning dew off of it. These enormous wonderful creatures are as timid as church mouse, and had no need to venture so close to a human to eat.  They were so close, I could hear them breathing beneath the sound of them ripping bites out of the broad leafed plants that were growing just behind my tent. I could hear them masticating their morning meal, as their molars ground up the leafy vegetation. For every breath mom took, her baby inhaled at half her rate. I found that I inhaled at half the rate of the baby. For some reason, I found this rhythmic three part respiration exceedingly relaxing. I sensed that they both felt this way as well. I completely understood that had momma moose, [1,400+ pounds],  stepped upon my tent, [and me], for what ever reason, that she would have crushed me like a bug. I assume that her 400+ pound baby could have done the same. Yet, I had no fear, and somehow felt a connection with these massive mammals that told me that they wanted to avoid stepping on my tent because they somehow understood the risk that posed to me. The Gentleman I shared the campsite with that night woke up and witnessed this entire event. He thought I was sleeping the whole time. He was petrified that I would wake up and startle the beasts, causing them to stomp on me to eliminate the perceived threat.   When  I told him I was awake the whole time, he could not understand how I could remain so calm.  After relaying to him the 'connection' I felt with the moose, I told him I was bummed that he didn't take a picture of the event. I could tell that he defiantly did not understand  my connection with the two moose, nor could he understand how  much peace this event instilled in me. To this day, anyone who has experience with moose, especially mom and calf moose', are unable to reconcile this event with normal mother moose behavior. I have also had multiple bear encounters, on trail, over the years. Despite the massive size of each of these creatures, there was never a confrontation, just coexistence. They each knew I was there, and due to my backcountry hiking experience, my singing and bear bells kept me from surprising them on my approach. When I saw them, I kept my distance, I kept vocalizing my presence by singing, and watched as they did what bears do, [which mostly is eating.] Simply, at all times in nature, I respect my environment, I am aware of my environment, and I exude the emotions of Love and Strength.

Do you think you would be able to find the "calm" necessary to survive the post catastrophe events that may occur? Can you envision a non-electric/non-electronic existence between catastrophe and rescue? Could you survive on your wits alone? Are you prepared with the survival items that would ease a catastrophe like hurricane Helene?  If not, why not?      

If you would like information and/or advice about the life saving items you need to possess, or the necessary skills required, to survive catastrophic events, feel free to PM me with your questions.

• Like 1

A very informative,  heads up.  Many have "SHTF" bags, trunks, etc. in case we have to 'bug out'. They are  filled with waterproof matches, flashlight batteries, Swiss Army Knives  outdated first aid kits and old fashioned maps.  But I'm sure  mine is woefully inadequate because, although I've long believed in Maslow's Hierarchy of Needs -  I'm basically a suburban Boomer with no hereditary skills or knowledge.   Missing from the 'predator' discussion though, was the one we'd most have to fear.  Human predators.  We have enough food here to last a month. Unless our 'neighbors' run out after 2 weeks.   Like they say -   "You don't have to run faster than the bear,  just faster than your hunting partner."     Thanks for starting what should be an eye-opening thread. 

Edited by fortyearspickn
  • Like 1

I'm not exactly a survivalist nut, but I am always well prepared. 

10 weeks of canned and frozen food, in steady rotation and usage - Check

Summer garden petering out, with lots of the harvest canned, and winter garden going in later this week - Check

17,500 w generator, regularly exercised, full of fresh ethanol free gasoline, with 3 days fuel in gas cans reserve, fresh also - Check

Spring-fed creek with nicely-flowing drinkable water year-round - Check

My acreage adjoining many, many wild acres with abundant wildlife (fish, rabbits, deer, dove) for emergency food/protein - Check

Firewood loosely stacked to last for months, and more here on my land - Check

Firearms and ammunition out the wazzoo - Check

All vehicles full of fresh, ethanol-free gasoline, weekly - Check

The wife, the dogs, and my own resolve, firmly in synch - Check

I believe that we are as ready as any small, humble family can be. 

🙂

PS  The colours were just an added touch.  
I'm sort of an aesthete at heart. 

I'm gonna shut up now. 
😕

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

I'm not exactly a survivalist nut, but I am always well prepared. 

10 weeks of canned and frozen food, in steady rotation and usage - Check

Summer garden petering out, with lots of the harvest canned, and winter garden going in later this week - Check

17,500 w generator, regularly exercised, full of fresh ethanol free gasoline, with 3 days fuel in gas cans reserve, fresh also - Check

Spring-fed creek with nicely-flowing drinkable water year-round - Check

My acreage adjoining many, many wild acres with abundant wildlife (fish, rabbits, deer, dove) for emergency food/protein - Check

Firewood loosely stacked to last for months, and more here on my land - Check

Firearms and ammunition out the wazzoo - Check

All vehicles full of fresh, ethanol-free gasoline, weekly - Check

The wife, the dogs, and my own resolve, firmly in synch - Check

I believe that we are as ready as any small, humble family can be. 

🙂

PS  The colours were just an added touch.  
I'm sort of an aesthete at heart. 

I'm gonna shut up now. 
😕

Message me when you have a months worth supply of Makers Mark.

32 minutes ago, sparquelito said:

It's always best to leave information regarding our whiskey supplies close-hold. 

😗

Sparky,

Better safe than sorry because I assume that after the world ends there will be roving gangs with dirty paint brushes willing to kill for any good solvent to clean them, so mums the word.

RBSinTo

• Like 2

6 hours ago, RBSinTo said:

Sparky,

Better safe than sorry because I assume that after the world ends there will be roving gangs with dirty paint brushes willing to kill for any good solvent to clean them, so mums the word.

RBSinTo

It also disinfects wounds, so there's that. 

🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sparquelito said:

It also disinfects wounds, so there's that. 

🙂

Sparky,

I've been told it's also excellent when applied both both internally and externally for Snakebites, but I could never get a snake to bite anyone when there was liquor in the house, so I can't say if it's true.

RBSinTo

Edited by RBSinTo
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, RBSinTo said:

Sparky,

I've been told it's also excellent when applied both both internally and externally for Snakebites, but I could never get a snake to bite anyone when there was liquor in the house, so I can't say if it's true.

RBSinTo

I was in a survival class back in my early days in the Army. 

Technically it was 'Survival, Evasion, Resistance,  & Escape', but that's neither here nor there. 

We talked for awhile about ditching the aircraft at sea, and how to collect rain water, avoiding sharks, and signalling techniques. 
The next block of instruction involved jungles and forests. 
The instructor loved to ask impromptu questions. 

At one point, he queried the class, "Where do most snake bites occur? And I'm buying coffee for whoever answers this correctly!"

My hand shot up.
"Yes, Candidate Sparkman. Where do most snake bites occur?"

I replied cheerfully, "In the viscinity of some snake's mouth!"

He laughed briefly, and said, "No, that's not right, the correct answer is...  wait."
He scratched his head and then nodded, "Well you technically are correct. Though the answer I was looking for was hands, ankles, and feet. I guess I owe you a coffee!"

Good times. 

😗

• Like 2

During  WWII,  in Europe,  Coffee, Cigarettes and Whiskey were valuable commodities.  Used more often than currency.  Flash forward to  today - far fewer smoke.  Keurig Cups worthless if you don't have electricity.  That leaves Johnny Walker Red as the Ace In The Hole ! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, fortyearspickn said:

During  WWII,  in Europe,  Coffee, Cigarettes and Whiskey were valuable commodities.  Used more often than currency.  Flash forward to  today - far fewer smoke.  Keurig Cups worthless if you don't have electricity.  That leaves Johnny Walker Red as the Ace In The Hole ! 

They were in Vietnam too. We could sell to Vietnamese Street Vendors & get double the price for a cases of Coca Cola & cartons of Marlboro’s. In US Dollars. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, gearbasher said:

Since you're from Alabama, I would guess you can make your own.

Distilling moonshine is not a life skill that I ever bothered to learn. 

I suppose it could come in handy some day.

Quick riddle;
Q: What does an Alabama girl say after having sex?

A: "Get off of me, Paw, you're mashing mah cigarettes!!"

😕

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We have been gathering supplies for awhile…..we have a full pantry, and buy “extra” staples each week…..we have the 30 days of freeze dried food stored, I keep a out 40 gallons of drinkable water and a 55-gallon drum of non-drinking water stored away.   We, too, have a 22kW generator hooked up to the house, but also keep our motor home in the driveway…..we can (and have) used it for electricity in an emergency.   

I keep loaded guns around the house, (where the grandkids can’t get them, but I can).   I try to never let any of the vehicles get below 3/4 tank of gas.

I know we’re not 100% safe, but no one is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Notes_Norton said:

I'm in a hurricane right now and I have:

• Non-perishable food
  • Ice packs in the freezer in case the power goes out
  • Storm awnings down, and storm panels up
  • Gas for the generator
  • Drinking water stared in glass jugs
  • Flushing water stored in a trash bin

We get our water from a well, so the generator is important. 

All our thoughts and prayers are with you and Mrs. Notes. 

God speed. 

🥲

• Like 1

People got hit really bad around here from Helene.  The major rivers around here get the runoff from western NC.  Erwin, TN is right over here and that's where people got washed away from a factory and a hospital had to be evacuated by air.  That river runs into our county and the flooding here was a once-in-five thousand year event.  It washed the whole gorge right out to the bedrock in one stretch where there used to be a road runnung alongside.

All the TVA stuff dams survived.  They were supposedly designed to handle the maximum conceivable event.

Lots of choppers and relief effort.  All the SPAM, cans of soup, milk and half-and-half was gone in the store - they are pulling the stuff for donations.  When there's no half-and-half, that means there's a real crisis.  I'll kill for that stuff.

Most rural people around here don't have a lot and they don't expect a lot.  It was days before people even knew what was going on in rural NC and TN.  Most fo these folk don't rely on others much, except for maybe asking a neighbor for help in a pinch.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, badbluesplayer said:

People got hit really bad around here from Helene.  The major rivers around here get the runoff from western NC.  Erwin, TN is right over here and that's where people got washed away from a factory and a hospital had to be evacuated by air.  That river runs into our county and the flooding here was a once-in-five thousand year event.  It washed the whole gorge right out to the bedrock in one stretch where there used to be a road runnung alongside.

All the TVA stuff dams survived.  They were supposedly designed to handle the maximum conceivable event.

Lots of choppers and relief effort.  All the SPAM, cans of soup, milk and half-and-half was gone in the store - they are pulling the stuff for donations.  When there's no half-and-half, that means there's a real crisis.  I'll kill for that stuff.

Most rural people around here don't have a lot and they don't expect a lot.  It was days before people even knew what was going on in rural NC and TN.  Most fo these folk don't rely on others much, except for maybe asking a neighbor for help in a pinch.

I'm praying for all those people in Eastern Tennessee, badbluesplayer. 

I remember fondly the time I spend moving Bell 407's in and out of Piney Flats, and test-flying out over the South Holston Lake and dam, and the trout stream that ran off from there. 
(I cannot remember the name of the stream or river.)

bell.jpg

I worry about Elizabethton flooding, right there on the Watuaga River. 
I used to fly into their little municipal airport, and use their Compass Rose. 

b20677_cda1d93588a0410eabfdfb4b7ae64470~

Beautiful country there. 
Fingers crossed that they are okay. 

🙂

• Like 1