Gibson Brands Forums

gibson les paul classic antique honey burst

hoross

Hi there

Just went to the shop getting my Gibson les paul classic antique (honey burst colour).

AND...

Well i am a bit dissapointed to be honest i owe 3 electric and 1 acoustic guitar ,one Epiphone Les Paul Standard,Bc Rich mockingbird special x and the epiphone acoustic/electric guitar and i must say that the Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus sounds is even better,hotter then the Gibson Les paul classic antique who is almost 5 times the price (over herE BELGIUM).

I know only 400 were made of altough im a bit dissapointed that the guitar doesnt play much better then a simple Epiphone les paul .

Im not making good publicity for Gibson but i do find it a bit harsh and scandallous that the originals are failing compared to the imitators specially with a price like that and trust me im playing 20 years guitar i know what im talking about.:-#

I guess it's a matter of choice. My Classic Antique sounds and plays better than my son's Epi Les Paul Plus Top. But that's just my opinion. And, no two guitars are exactly alike. Have you had it set up properly yet. Most Gibsons need a little set-up out of the factory.

I love my Classic Antique. i have to say i had to tweak it out a little but i find it to be a really beautiful guitar. It probably looks alot like yours. i was lucky to find one with a one piece mahogany back on it . How

bout some pics

+1 on getting a proper setup, unless you can DO that, yourself? Makes a World of difference.

Never played a Gibson LP, that DIDN'T need some "set up," or minor tweaking. But, once they

are, they're amazing instruments! Is yours "Pleked?" I always had to have my old ones (before

Gibson started doing that) fret dressed, as well. The frets were like "road blocks," otherwise.

And, you're right...some Epi's do come with amazing fret work, and set ups, right out of the box.

My Korean Riviera was perfect, intonation, action, and the fret work (out of the box) was the best

of ANY guitar I've owned, at any price. So....they're out there.

CB

I've owned quite a few guitars myself, and I have no problem feeling the quality surge from Epi, to Gibson Studio, to Gibson Standard, Gibson Custom, to Gibson Historics. Once you get it setup properly you'll change your mind.

Better yet, once you learn how to set the guitar up yourself, then you'll see, feel, and hear the superb quality of your Classic Antique.

+1 on the set up. Its always luck of the draw when buying a new guitar IMO. I am sure some have just been "assembled" and not actually set up in any way.

I think you will be loving your new Gibson once it has been.

thanks again guys but why putting almost 2000 euros for a guitar when u have still to change pickups etc... at the end the guitar cost a fortune and with the stupid Epiphone its all set altough i try what u say.... im not unhappy with the guitar just a bit deceived thats all

keep on rocking

Welp, on a Gibson forum you won't find too many people willing to admit that Gibson turns out more clunkers than they should. You should get your hands on (inspect, play, listen) every guitar you are considering buying, whether buying Gibson, Epi or any other manufacturer, to avoid getting stuck with a less than satisfactory instrument. For the money Gibson charges, the guitar should come out of the box perfect and kiss your a$$.

thanks again guys but why putting almost 2000 euros for a guitar when u have still to change pickups etc... at the end the guitar cost a fortune and with the stupid Epiphone its all set altough i try what u say.... im not unhappy with the guitar just a bit deceived thats all

keep on rocking

If you have to change pickups, you probably bought the wrong Gibson Les Paul. They do offer options, personally I like the '57 Classic & Classic + in mine. JMHO.

You said you liked the Epi becuase it "sounded better, hotter" might be that you got wrong pickups for what you are after. If hotter is what you are after, then try raising the pickups closer to the strings. This will give you more output. Beyond this, new pickups.

Pick ups and changing is a no brainer. We all know that. I have gtr that have the stock p/u cause I know I liked them and had no need to change. I changed a few on some gtrs and they are great that way. Point being the epi les paul I have 1/3 the cost of my les paul and a great gtr . Then the les paul when I got it i knew , it still went home, change the strings imediatley,intonation check, action, add strap locks, strap. Start there. next give it a set up if needed. Thy gotta be played. Your epi is safe comfortable, you know what you got. the paul is different ,will need to grow with you. I bought a es 339 and after 3 months shaved the neck. Now it's mine and yes it works great. Give it time. play that F#@*er !

Thanks its the second day im using the guitar i'll try to make some changes with the pickups next week im sure it will be fine,still i love my Epi and Bc rich mockingbird special x guitar they rule too

keep on rocking

its true man, for the price you'd think it would be good to go right out of the box, but nope. once you DO get it done though theres no other comparison =P~

• 1 year later...

Hi

I am in Belgium too and wished to buy that exact same guitar.

I've tried it in 2 different shop and thought it was awfull so never bought it.

The Fret was all wrong, on top of the neck, it hurted my hand. Sound was thin. In whitch store did you get it?

The shop were i had tried them is grovve 98 in brussel and in a shop in Louvain La Neuve.

It was so bad, since, i am afraid of getting a new gibson whithout playing it, but in this small country....

It's always down to personal preferences.

I tried out a GOTW 'Classic Custom' and, echoing falko's experience, felt that it sounded thin; no body to the sound.

I really loved the look of the guitar but I doubt that even a pup-swap could have been enough to squeeze a true classic 'Les Paul' tone from it.

Since we're commenting on old threads ([biggrin] ) and I just bought this exact model last month...

Well, I have either better luck, or more realistic expectations. First, as pointed out, you felt the Epiphone sounds "better, hotter". If those two equal the same thing to you, you may have gotten a guitar with the wrong pickups for you. The '57 Classic (and +) is by far not the hottest of Gibson's lineup. But they've got a sweet, vintage vibe and with guitar's characteristics, can achieve awesome sustain, and anything from singing to a great crunchy classic tone (especially with a good tube amp). I've been thrilled with the sound of mine.

Thanks for the info on it being a limited run of 400 (is that correct? If so, was it only in 2007?). I was not aware of this.

BTW, your post might also be seen as a testament to the Epiphone product, which is a fine thing in it's own right, and a true bargain.

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

...they've got a sweet' date=' vintage vibe and with guitar's characteristics, can achieve awesome sustain, and anything from singing to a great crunchy classic tone (especially with a good tube amp). I've been thrilled with the sound of mine...[/quote']

I'm delighted, for you, that you love the sound of yours.

Archived