Gibson Brands Forums

paradoxes

frankafru

:-k any good paradoxes? here ill start:

by doing nothing you are doing something

p.s. no "going back in time and killing yr grandparents" type paradoxes plz

That's not a paradox. If you go back you go to another time line. Either one you just created or a parallel already existing one. You can't go back to the same time line in which you now reside.

That's not a paradox. If you go back you go to another time line. Either one you just created or a parallel already existing one. You can't go back to the same time line in which you now reside.

i konw, but i didnt feel like explaining it to ppl. thx for saving me some time

My most relevant paradox is one of human nature.

We see the problems of history and yet we continue to repeat the mistakes. Makes me question the very nature of humanity.

I agree! Mark Twain said, and I paraphrase, that history doesn't really repeat itself, but it does rhyme! Hysterical in it's truth.

I just finished a few weeks ago a newspaper series and mag article on some interesting aspects of the Mount Moriah cemetery in Deadwood, SD - where Wild Bill Hickock is buried, etc., that got into this sort of thing and consideration of brane universes allowing apparent "ghosts" that aren't ghosts but merely something of a window into a nearly, but not entirely, parallel membrane universe. Hey, it made for an fun story to write. <grin>

Anyway as to paradoxes from returning in "time," it appears that brane universes might allow some parallel that might allow such a concept to work - and perhaps to then travel both to universes in which it did, and didn't happen. That would require one's own current universe and a second one out of a time synchronization of some sort, it appears, but which otherwise would be parallel.

Hmmmmm. Some of this new conceptual stuff in physics is neat and needs more sci fi messing with it, if nothing else. Note that David Drake's "With the Lightnings" series has "ships" that travel to meet something of the criteria of moving through brane universes (he calls them "bubble universes") and back again. (Drake's a classical scholar as well as an extremely fine writer of a wide range of sci fi. You can get a hint on line at the Baen Free Library.)

There's also a new theory that the "big bang" arose from, in effect, two brane universes colliding.

Consider too that the theist koan of God and the "rock" is somewhat irrelevant if one considers brane universes as well, since it is based essentially in Newtonian physics that apply quite well to daily life, but... ain't quite functional beyond that. That's not a "religious" comment but rather one from science. A theological argument can, and has gone much further.

It's also a matter of limited human perception. As Lao Tzu noted, the way that can be described is not the true way - which is perhaps a perfect example of the intuitive expressing the inexpressible.

Plato's parable of the cave is perhaps another way of describing our perceptions.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allegory_of_the_cave

I'm not entirely a Wiki freak, but this one does a decent job of explaining the concept - and a lot of apparent paradoxes that aren't necessarily paradoxes.

If God is willing to prevent evil' date=' but is not able to

Then He is not omnipotent.

If He is able, but not willing

Then He is malevolent.

If He is both able and willing

Then whence cometh evil?

If He is neither able nor willing

Then why call Him God?

[/quote']

As Lao Tzu noted' date=' the way that can be described is not the true way - which is perhaps a perfect example of the intuitive expressing the inexpressible.[/quote']

Ahh....the "Old Master" himself.

On Wednesday when the sky is blue,

I often wonder if it's true

That who is what

And what is who

Archived