Gibson Brands Forums

What is Guitar Mojo?

onewilyfool

Normally grampa I'd say age before beauty' date='

and let you through - but not on [u']this[/u] baby.....

Get in line old man - my dibs was first on that sweet car.

Are you and Grampa waiting for my demise?

This reminds me of my accident a year ago. One guy took my helmet and water bottles, another guy took my bike, one woman took my tools, keys and wallet, and another woman took my sunglasses (all fellow cyclists). I'm still kidding them about how they "divvied-up my stuff, hoping I wasn't gonna make it".

• 5 years later...

I don't think MoJo has anything to do with how a guitar looks but how it sounds and plays. Anyone can take a POS new guitar and beat the crap out of it till it looks old and abused, but that doesn't give it MoJo. I think MoJo comes like a well aged wine. A guitar that has aged where the wood has a special tone only age can give. Like a well broke in horse it just feels right and does the job very well.

I have quite a few newer guitars that play and sound good but none like my 1975 Electra 2264 LP copy.

I don't think MoJo has anything to do with how a guitar looks but how it sounds and plays. Anyone can take a POS new guitar and beat the crap out of it till it looks old and abused, but that doesn't give it MoJo. I think MoJo comes like a well aged wine. A guitar that has aged where the wood has a special tone only age can give. Like a well broke in horse it just feels right and does the job very well.

I have quite a few newer guitars that play and sound good but none like my 1975 Electra 2264 LP copy.

Warning Zombies Ahead

ZOMBIE THREAD ! 5 1/2 Years Young.

From the GuitarLight dictionary: ...MOJO: A pleasant sounding, and ubiquitous word used by guitar sellers, both public and private, to sell a guitar which looks hammered, beat, scratched, scraped, worn, discolored, and otherwise very unsightly as compared to when it was new, even if it plays great, so that the the new buyer will think he or she has got a great deal by buying a guitar which has MOJO.

Those who say don't know and those who know don't say.

[thumbup] Triple thumbs-up grampa [thumbup][thumbup]....you and I can 'at the least' agree on that!

I was going to say...."if you gotta ask?....you wouldn't get it "even" (if it could be explained).

To help dispel the mystery....I am quite sure that it is different for everybody! Jes' Sayin"

I guess it could be? Not for me at this time, however!

I am not 'feeling' that.

American economy is not too benevolent to us middle-class citizens, these days, under the current regime. "If " I had the disposable income, I would still buy vintage over new.

Mojo is a brand new shiny and exquisite unplayed dent and scratch-free acoustic guitar that you always dreamed of owning that just arrived on your doorstep, isn't it? [biggrin]

BluesKing777.

Absolutely. Applies to electric guitars as well. ;)

I believe that a great player imparts something to an instrument over time as some guitars have "it" and some don't. That "it" may simply be fret wear but I think it's more than that.

As For Mojo, that's a seller's BS line which translates into beat to hell by some pinhead.

There's a clip from 1967 on the "Lightnin Hopkins Rare Performances" DVD where he says something like: "This next song is the Mojo Hand. Lots of people want to know what that means, but I ain't gonna tell 'em." [tongue]

Archived