Gibson Brands Forums

Ebay junk Gibson du jour

ksdaddy

I almost fell outta my chair when I saw that.

nails for bridge pins? holy crap.

It should be illegal to treat any guitar so badly.

the back looks like a weird salmon pink color.

I christen thee the anti christ of guitars

I'm gonna go throw up now.

Well, since they went to Lowe's or Home Depot for the plywood for the top, why not pick up a handful of wood screws for the pins?

Makes perfect sense to me.

"Weighs about twice as much a a typical Gibson jumbo would". Yep. 3/4" CDX plywood has that effect.

There's a Martin DXM on ebay that's missing a back. Wonder if this guy has any left of that sheet?

I was just about to bid, but just can't get over the overspray (over brush) of the back paint on the headstock. Well.. that and the sloppy bondo work.

I think my mom had a left over quart can of that back color after a remodel job in the 1970's. She musta sold it on a garage sale.

Yish... " It is able to be tuned but don't expect to much with this one." Not sure if that is false advertising or not... I'd say anything can be tuned. But tuned to something in on a chromatic scale is whole 'nother thing entire.

Who would have thought that for a few pennies I could have purchased 6 stainless steel phillips head bridge pins! Heck for a dime I could likely buy 6 "Brass" bridge screws!!! Bob Colosi better watch out as ACE Hardware could be putting him outta bidnez!!!!

=P~](* '](*,)

Oh Bruddah! Now the bridge pin minutiae discussers will now be comparing, materials, plated/unplated/brass/stainless as well as head shape, slot type and screw pitch.... not to mention length! WILL IT EVER END????????????? #-o

is that frickin' bondo i see around the neck for filler?!?

Probably. Hard to say whether they actually removed the neck or fingerboard when they replaced the top. I'm thinking they probably just chiseled the remnant of the original top away from the fingerboard and then just cut the plywood to go around it.

This is one of those guitars that is not worth the effort but would be a fun challenge anyway.

Not that I would know anything about that.....

Well, maybe once in a while.

I really admire your handiwork, Scott. You really do have the ability to conjur Lazarus-like resurrections for potentially great instruments that would otherwise be headed for the dump.

What do you do with the instruments you work on and finish? Do you collect them, or move them on?

I'd love to own a KSDaddy special one day.

They mostly collect dust. Sometimes they go away on ebay. I'm shifting away from selling any guitars unless I hate them (which is subjective at best and has little bearing on whether it's a good guitar or not). I've sold guitars in the past and later wished I still had them. Probably 'wrong' hazy memories convincing myself I really liked them and shouldn't have sold them, but the feeling remains.

I've sold guitars in the past and later wished I still had them.

Haven't we all been there...My greatest regret was parting with an incredible Gibson LP Jr Special DC, it was just an brilliant guitar. I traded it away to get a LP Standard, which was also great, but that Jr really plays on my mind, 10 yrs later.

I've owned and sold two J45s (both out of financial necessity, unfortunately), and I miss both bitterly. Although, having said that, my last J45 now belongs to my producer Steve, who loves it, and it gets played by hundreds of great musicians in his studio every year. The previous one went to the nephew of a forum member, Sitric, who e-mailed me a few months back telling me how he still loved the guitar to bits and plays it every day.

So, happy days...but I still long for another great J45.

• 1 month later...

It's baa-aack!

Ebay junk du jour relisted for probably many reasons

It "SOLD" (wink wink nudge nudge say no more) for $499 last month and yet it's back. Either the bidder sobered up or the shill/second chance offer fell through.

Oops, did I say shill? I meant to say someone put in a phony bid to drive the price up with no intention of buying it and then once the legit high bidder was outbid and the auction ended, the seller would wait a couple days and then offer a sob story and a second chance offer to the next bidder down the list, knowing they had milked him of the maximum proxy bid he was willing to enter.

Hypothetically of course. Not saying that happened here.

Sorry, I didn't mean to say shill. That has a negative connotation.

Archived