Gibson Brands Forums

Historical Question Time

cookieman15061

I think for me it would have to be Mid 60's London when all the great bands hung out in the clubs and talked shop. Some great stories of The Beatles' date=' Stones, Animals and The Who hanging together and talking music all night then back to the flat 2 birds each. LOL[/quote']

+1 That's exactly what I was thinking... Well, hadn't thought of the 2 birds but, I'm sure I would have come around to it!

Oops' date=' I have my years all screwed up. I thought Christian was in the band before he was well known.

Anyway, I'd like to have seen him in the small venues, before he was big enough to play Carnegie.[/quote']

Not to worry, I've forgotten parts of the sixties and I was there...I KNOW I was. I've done the math...

And I'm with you on the swing bands, love the stuff, hate big venues.

This is way too tough. Woodstock would certainly be cool. I'd also love to see Neil Peart audition for Rush (he showed up with his drums in garbage cans for cases!). I think if I had to choose, I'd go back to 1924 on a train headed towards Boston, and sit next to George Gershwin while he composed Rhapsody in Blue. I'd love to get into his head...

I dunno. I got into the coffeehouse and club type scenes in the 60s and likely wouldn't have gone to Woodstock if I were paid because I very, very much dislike big crowds unless I'm paid to be in a somewhat smaller crowd than there. Music, football, whatever. Too many folks even at the opera, either "grand" or "grand ole."

But I'm pretty much otherwise with Matt, the Baroque period was incredibly interesting.

Swing? Hey, my first year in college I saw the Count and the Duke. A few years later Harry James in concert. Yes. Yes. Yes. The music had a bit more complexity but was "together" in tunes you could hum. The "Bird" singers wore a lot more clothing and were ten times more sexy than the current crop. (Bea Wain was a fox. Julie London was more. And their voices did it far more than their looks.)

Hmmmm. Well, it ain't no secret I'm not a kid. <grin> Kids should listen to "three little fishies" I think on occasion, although the message likely wouldn't "take." It didn't for me. <grin>

m

Ok all you music history buffs out there.

If you had a time machine and could be at just one musical moment in history. One chance to experience that whole scene or vibe of an event that you only heard or read about. What would that event be?

I'd love to spend an hour jamming with Django Reinhard, Stephen Grappelli and the Quintett of the Hot Club of France.

i WAS at the El Mocambo when SRV was there...also saw him at the Spectrum in Montreal and at Barrymore's in Ottawa on the same tour.

at Barrymores SRV stepped off the stage onto a large table surrounded by patrons and promptly flipped the table over, fell on his *** and sent the drinks flying everywhere. but the fans and crew picked him up and lifted him back on stage and SRV continued like nothing had happened- barely missed a beat.

Archived