Gibson Brands Forums

TWilson ....... the Forum's loss

Johnt

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahh - true recognition at last, thanks onewilyfool, you's dah MAN.....

As for the rest of you plebs, you are so barking up weird trees it's surreal.

First - I have nothing against Royalty per se - I only object to hereditary

institutions lecturing me about democracy, and hereditary wealth and class

lecturing me about egalitarianism and poverty. If the likes of Charlie-boy

shut up and got on with the job, I would not have any issues with him.

Apart from the whole Di/Camilla thing - which I will NEVER forgive him for.

Secondly - I am blood related to the current Royal families, both extant and lapsed,

of Britain and most of Europe, which means diddlysquat - but gives me as much

right as any manjack amongst you to have an opinion on them, which I do.

(n.b. Most of YOU are similarily related to Royals - it's no big deal, just that I have provenance)

Hopefully when TW comes back he will use this ammunition to tear me to shreds.

The rest of you - as you were chaps, keep up the good works.

Toodle pip, what-ho.....

Something somebody said a ways back (...now that we've found him...) set me thinking.

The Foundations "Baby Now That I've Found You" waaaaay back in my teens.

Strange piece of music - written in Soho in the same bar as Das Kapital.

Only picked up by Aunty Beeb because the pirates had missed it - so the BBC wanted it.

Did well here, and not badly in the US, and seemed to keep coming out again and again too.

Heard it again (after a long, long gap) in a movie with Jack "Tenacious D" Black and that Paltrow woman.

Why did this stick in my head -well - the guy that wrote it (Tony something) also wrote

"Let the Heartaches Begin" for Long John Baldry (a fine, fine blues singer, sadly missed since 2005)

"The Lights of Cincinnati" for Scott Walker (another fine singer)

"Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)" for Edison Lighthouse (one-hit wonders, but catchy title.....)

Oh poop, I'm rambling - time for medication:- Woodstone Creek potstilled, no darned chill filter,

no carcinogenic colouring, five-grain, triple malt, double pot-stilled, single batch and single barrel.

Oh boy - heaven can wait, I've some serious sippin' to do, yeeeeeeeeee haw. [biggrin]

"Love grooooowwwwwsss where my TWilson gooooeeeeesssss and nobody knooooooooooowwwwsss, like meeeeeeeeeeeee"

I remember that song!

Funny you should mention the "Now that I've found you" aspect of the thread because everytime I see the title I start singing that song. BUT, Alison Krauss' version, thankyoueverso!

"There's SOMETHING about her......... (oh shoot, forgot the words) It's a beautiful sign and I just have to saaaaaayyyyyy-aaay, she's really got a magical spell, and it's workin' so well, and I can't get aw-aaaaaay-aaaaayyyy......... I'm a lucky fella and I just gotta tell her .......... (forgot the words again)"

"Love Grows (Where My Rosemary Goes)" for Edison Lighthouse (one-hit wonders' date=' but catchy title.....)

One hit wonders?

Edison Lighthouse maybe!

Wot about Tony Burrows and John Carpenter?

"Lets go to San Franciso" Flowerpot Men

Brotherhood of man

White Plains?

Pipkins??

Oh I give up google him!

Serial late 60s pop al la "Archies"

when you and I should have been listening to Yardbirds, LJB, Zoot etc we got this cr$p out of our wireless!

If there's one thing you're likely to know about Tony Burrows, it's that he's the only man to appear on a single episode of Top of the Pops three times with three separate bands. That was in early 1970 when his session-career was at its peak and records by The Brotherhood of Man ('United We Stand'), White Plains ('My Baby Loves Loving'), Edison Lighthouse ('Love Grows Where My Rosemary Goes') and The Pipkins ('Gimme Dat Ding') were all in the charts together. All of them featured him on vocals (alongside Sue and Sunny in the case of the original Brotherhood of Man).

To get to this position, Burrows had already put in a decade of work. Through the 60s he had got to know most of the songwriters who went on to dominate the early years of the next decade - writers like Tony Macauly, Tony Hiller, Roger Cook and Roger Greenaway. The later two he played with in The Kestrels, a band which went back to National Service days and which supported The Beatles in the early days (teaching them, according to Burrows, how to bow in advance of the Royal Variety Show).

He subsequently joined The Ivy League (after their most successful years, unfortunately) and was still with them when they changed their name to The Flowerpot Men and had a hit with the fakeadelic classic 'Let's Go To San Francisco'. Apart from this one-off, the decade failed to reward one of the loveliest and most versatile voices in British pop, and by 1969 Burrows had had enough - he resolved to give up touring and instead made himself available for session-work on the promise that, although he'd promote stuff on TV, he wasn't doing gigs.

He was in instant demand and the series of hits in early 1970 date from the last few months of the previous year when his recording diary was full. The fact that they all hit virtually simultaneously was something of a poisoned chalice for Burrows. At the end of that record-breaking edition of Top of the Pops, he was approached by a staff member and told that he'd been unofficially blacklisted from the show - apparently it was starting to look like a bit of a fix, having him on every other record.

For the next four years, although he continued to sing on countless hits (he reckons it's somewhere around 100 top twenty hits during the 70s), he wasn't invited on TV and found his own records didn't get played on the radio. The record that broke that streak was probably his best: 'Beach Baby' by The First Class, a beautiful recreation of 60s high school pop written by John Carter, another one of The Flowerpot Men. I was also quite fond of the follow-up, 'Bobby Dazzler', which took the piss out of 70s pop manipulation and which was consequently ignored by the industry.

Burrows is still singing, though his love of cricket seems to be even more important to him, and is gradually starting to get the recognition his work deserves. Admittedly there's some ropey stuff in there, but even on the weak material, his singing is almost always worth hearing.

Wilson?

Feast yourself on material by which you can hang us when you're fit!

Next Tuesday do you?

Nah - yah lost me on Burrows and Carpenter..... I Googled them, and I am but little wiser.

I also Googled "Love Grows....." and it came to prominence at the start of the year during which I saw:-

Bowie, Floyd, my buddy Kieran in Steamhammer, Incredible String Band (every night for 1 week solid) plus a gig at the Albert supporting Pentangle; Greeny's Fleetwood Mac, Family, Mott, Humble Pie, Faces, Barclay James Harvest, Supertramp's first gig ever, Roy Harper, Skid Row (been a mate of Gary's for a while, but first live gig I ever saw him play), Derek and the Dominoes at the Marquee (another advantage of being mates with Gary and the boys)

Byrds, CannedHeat, Colosseum, Donovan, Fairport and others at Bath;

Juicy Lucy, Fat Mattress, Steamhammer, Burning Red Ivanhoe one evening at the Lyceum;

Worthing Festival with Cochise, Mighty Baby, Kevin Ayers/Edgar Broughton, Pink Faries, Quiver, Mike Chapman, Sonia Christianssen and Mungo Jerry;

Isle of Wight Pop Festival with Hawkwind, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, The Pink Fairies, Joni Mitchell, Miles Davis, Free, Taste, Jethro Tull, The Doors, Leonard Cohen and Donovan

Canned Heat/Eric Burdon and War/John Sebastian free in Hyde Park;

T-Rex, Keith Christmas, Al Stewart, Roy Harper, Quintessence, Amazing Blondel, Sam Apple Pie, Steamhammer, Ian Anderson, Duster Bennet, Alan Bown, Wayne Fontana, Stack Ridge, Ian Hunt, Marsupilami, Originn, with Mad Mick + Derek James. I guess this was the first Glastonbury;

And ended the year roadying for Skid Row.

So I guess some of that more "MotR" stuff passed me by.

That and the pharmaceuticals goes a long way to explaining my lack of academicals.....

We have a winner! lol

Not too sure about that K!

WE possibly need to turn this into X Factor to wake Terry up!!!

GB 's suggestion is good but doesn't get a wink from "Simon"

Come on lets have it?

It's Big band night!!

This thread has more bumps than..........

Kenny!

( You US and Canadians might have to google that)

As someome once sais "Beat it"

Not too sure about that K!

WE possibly need to turn this into X Factor to wake Terry up!!!

GB 's suggestion is good but doesn't get a wink from "Simon"

Come on lets have it?

It's Big band night!!

This thread has more bumps than..........

Kenny!

( You US and Canadians might have to google that)

As someome once sais "Beat it"

This thread has more bumps than War And Peace done in braille.

Oooooo, is that politically incorrect? Might be :-(

Archived