Gibson Brands Forums

How did you learn to change a pickup?

dem00n

i just kida figured it out. you wire the shielding on the wire to ground and the hot lead in the center is your signal. it kinda helps when your dad is an electrician. you will know if you hook it up wrong. it will be "out of phase" and sound very thin. hope this helps. If you have a multi conductor wiring pickup check the manufacturers website.

I used my basic understanding of electronics, acquired over years of taking things apart and the few weeks we spent on it in high school physics, and did it.

I didn't learn how to change a pickup, just applied the concepts I knew for electronics in general.

I learned out of necessity. I couldn't afford to pay for any of this kind of stuff when I first started playing, so I had no choice but to learn it on my own. A pickup is pretty mindless, so you can't mess up too much. Now, an amplifier is a lot more fun...

I learned to change a pickup by...

... changing a pickup.

Tips...

Leave the old wires attached and long as possible and simply replace them with the new ones.

Or draw a diagram.

Or (in this modern era) take a digital picture.

I learned by trial and error otherwise known as the school of hard knocks.

Basically, learn the basics of how to read a wire diagram; this is NOT the same as a schematic.

Then learn the basics of soldering and don't use a soldering gun; use a soldering iron with a small tip.

I hear those guys at the MLP forum know a lot... you should ask them.

I learned by trial and error otherwise known as the school of hard knocks.

Basically' date=' learn the basics of how to read a wire diagram; this is NOT the same as a schematic.

Then learn the basics of soldering and don't use a soldering gun; use a soldering iron with a small tip.

I hear those guys at the MLP forum know a lot... you should ask them.[/quote']

Now your just ****ing with me...lol

I learned to change a pickup by...

... changing a pickup.

Tips...

Leave the old wires attached and long as possible and simply replace them with the new ones.

Or draw a diagram.

Or (in this modern era) take a digital picture.

Digital photos are a plus. For the few amps I've modified, I also took pictures of the board/hookups beforehand so I knew how to hook it all back up.

Now your just ****ing with me...lol

Yeah I was just messin' with ya

Really good advice is to draw how connections are made & wire colors and take a pic of the original hook up.

You need to know that different companies use different color wires.

For example: Humbucker wiring

DiMarzio: Red = hot

Green = Ground

Seymour Duncan: Black = hot

Green = Ground

Check out Stew Mac electronics for more information

I read books on the subject, then practiced Soldering on an old Foot Pedal. Then I went ahead and changed the pot on my old Wah Wah, as sort of a Graduation Test. That came out good, so I ain't afraid to go on to Pick Ups now. I have an old Ibanez flying V that need a change, so I'll do that next. Then if that comes out right, I'll change the PU's in my Number One Strat.

Noobish...only used one once.

Could be ugly...

Tips:

- Practice really does make perfect. Buy some cheap components at Radio Shack and practice. Or take something apart and solder the connections for practice (not something with stored voltage mind you).

- In general a shiny solder joint is a good solder joint

- Heat the parts first then add the solder - don't drop melted solder onto cold components

Archived